Emotions all over the place

• 6 replies
  • 18 subscribers

I was diagnosed last may with a rare form of cancer and have finished treatment and am cancer free at present.i have regular check ups because of the cancer I had. I should be on cloud nine and I am so lucky that I am in remission but it's like suddenly emotionally it feels like a dark cloud hanging over me and I feel tearful and anxious.i don't know why ..I don't know if it's because I dealt with the physical side of it and when my treatment finished I went back to work almost immediately I guess I wanted to get back to normal .did anybody else feel like this and how do you stop feeling like this .

• Hi Mush and a warm welcome to the forum. Believe me when I tell you that you are not alone in what and how you are feeling. During treatment we are on a kind of rollercoaster, then when its all done we suddenly find ourselves alone, no team around us anymore and no appointments to go to. I suppose what I am trying to say is thats it is ok to feel as you do and we can all relate to this, as many of us , including myself have been here previously, so you are not alone..

I wonder if you have the internet that you could look up an article and either print it off or read it online which ever suits you best. It was written by a Psychologist called Dr Peter Harvey and is entitled "After the treatment finishes" Then what"? Have a  read and I feel that you wiil recognise yourself in that article and it will, explain everything about how you are feeling right now and why? .   

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi , iv just finished chemo and radiotherapy,  I also am very emotional especially when people hug me and congratulate me on getting to the end so to speak , I think its because when you go through cancer your so worried about people around you , staying strong carrying on with house chores , kids appointments treatments etc you don't actually have time to process what you have been through and now suddenly no more hospital etc unless for checkups , you feel slone and you have time to reflect on everything you have been through , im thinking of getting a Councillor,  I wish you all the best x

• I totally agree. Everyone telling you how great it is you got thru it all, how well you've done, how brave, and look at mum. Yes look at mum, wearing her mask and carrying on because nobody understands why you're still in shock and trying to process this whole muddle called breast cancer. It was so lovely to connect with others yesterday all in the same boat. We all got it. All felt the same. Whereas family can't understand why you don't feel ok to have 4 of them descend to stay, and buck when you say can just 2 come, and you feel guilty but angry they don't get it. It's tough alright. And not knowing who you can trust to tell...some just can't cope so you're better to say nothing. Good to be able to express in here. Thank you. 

• I feel the exact way. Even though I am currently in remission, I do not feel brave. I just want to have a normal life but what's normal anymore. I am worried when in crowds and thinking how good is my immune. Five years just feel.likebits hanging over my head.

Now I have severe hives and can't find out why.

• Hello everyone

I am Bill.  Well I am in my 60 s trying to help a 30 year old daughter who has a rare one. Adrenal cancer which is supposed to be benign. And there's a 2 year old in middle of it.  We do our best.  Yet I find I have such anger taken out on me. She sees her friends all well.  She has got over the first year. Tumour removed and has an all clear. But the chemo is ongoing and horrible.

I be there. I take it all because I am supposed to be the rock. And sure as he'll the storm crashes around me.  I be afraid she has grown to hate me blame me.

Has anyone else experienced this

• Hi, my hudbsnd is in remission and like you I feel like I should be happy but I don't. I appreciate I'm the partner not the patient but often the same fears can be felt. I have felt so emotional and exhausted by what we went through. From what people have told me. It takes time,  in treatment you are dealing with the hear and now, post treatment the realisation of what you have been through, you have a bit more time to catch up with yourself and take stock. Don't expect too much of yourself too soon. Recover physically and emotionally for as long as you need. I always felt pressure, because everyone says you should make the most of life etc, which yes, life is precious but the reality is the emotional and physical toll takes some time to recover from so allow yourself that. No pressure. Hugs