A booby is a seabird with blue feet

• Hair Story

My hair doesn’t promise anything good. It has become too strange. It looks all worn out, like grass in a well-trodden football field. There are random whorls of hairs, of various lengths, pointing in different directions. I have never (yet) see...
  • Breathing Lessons

To prepare for radiotherapy, I recently discovered that I’ll need to be able to hold my breath. This is especially important because the laser is going to be focussed on my left side, near my heart. Originally I had been told that 15 seconds wo...
  • So long, seventh saroma!

My seventh saroma will hopefully be my very last one. Because I have had more than enough of these, thank you. Otherwise I may soon receive the gift of a steroid injection in my chest cavity. Which doesn’t sound too lovely, to be honest. Even ...
  • Breast bombs (or 'saromas')

After my single mastectomy a month ago, I have had five saromas. This is not particularly unusual either. Mine have all been large and painful. The grand total of the combined liquid comes to almost exactly two litres. All lined up, the actual p...
  • Happy Easter, maybe

My fifth saroma is the size of a pretty large Easter egg.  And I am afraid that it may just 'burst open' today (before my next appointment).  Which hardly bears thinking about.  Even if I would love to be instant...