Chemotherapy

• 5 replies
  • 84 subscribers

Hi, I have previously posted on here as I had a Hysterectomy 3 months again for what I thought was Leiomyosarcoma. I have finally had my histology results and after 12 pathologists looking at my womb and it going all over the UK they have finally decided I have had Carcinoma Sarcoma which I'm told is a womb lining cancer. My consultant told me last week that she is referring me now to the sarcoma team at Clatterbridge Hospital for further treatment. If I'm honest I wasn't expecting to have more treatment and am a bit worried now. Just wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with this cancer what chemo/radiotherapy they had. TIA x

• Hi Nannytobe

It is good that they are now clear on the type of cancer you have had because now they can arrange the most effective treatment. It can be hard to be told that you need to have further treatment, especially when it was not expected. 

That is the same cancer as mine was. I am now two years post the end of treatment and doing ok. 

Because carcinoma sarcoma is a more aggressive type 2 cancer they normally recommend follow up treatment, even if at an early stage. 

Carcinoma sarcoma is a mixed type of cancer but it is one that tends to act like an endometrial cancer and tends to respond to the same treatments. 

I had chemotherapy- carboplatin and paclitaxel. This was followed by 25 sessions of external beam radiotherapy. 

If you click on my name, my profile will give you some of the timings etc

If there is anything that you want to ask, then please do so. There can be some variation between hospitals, so your treatment may be different to mine. For me the chemo was about mopping up any stray cells whole body wise and the radiotherapy was to mop up any stray cells in the pelvis. Some ladies are offered brachytherapy but I did not need it as no cells were found in my cervix. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks Jane,  just read some of your threads. Think I'm just a bit scared of what's ahead. I know I will be OK as I have a great network of family and friends around me just think because I feel so well atm that I didn't think i would need lots of treatment after. I've not had a letter from the sarcoma team yet so not sure exactly what they are going tonsuggest for me x

• Natural to be scared and for me it helped once I knew what I needed to do. I also felt well after the surgery and it was hard to accept that I needed treatment that would make me feel unwell. However for me it has worked and although tough at times- it is doable. The support around you will really help. 

And if you do need chemo and radiotherapy- I found it helped to just focus on one session/appointment at a time. If you look too far ahead it can feel overwhelming. 

• Yes I know i can do it, when it comes down to it I will just get on and do whatever it takes to help keep this from coming back. I try to be strong for my family and friends and not show what i am really feeling. I think i may benefit from someone from outside to talk to. I will have a think about it a d speak to my nurse i think . Thank you for your replies it's nice to know I'm not the only one who's worried and it's nice to know there are other people going through exactly the same  xx

• Sometimes it can be good to talk to someone from the outside. Good plan to speak to your nurse. Macmillan can also help with counselling via Bupa if needed.