Hysterectomy date

• 3 replies
  • 84 subscribers

Hi there, 

well I’ve got the date for the hysterectomy + lymph nodes after meeting with the consultant…it’s a scary time I’ve found out I’ve endometriosis which I had no idea about and I’m 58. Then he mentioned the worse case scenario that this ‘thing’ might also be against the bowel….I'm very worried and yet I was told this is still treatable…and he mentioned stage 3.i can’t believe this is happening. Anyone advice or in a similar situation?

thanks.

• Hello Alie P

Welcome to the Womb group.

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I remember feeling all over the place when I first got diagnosed. 

I am glad you have your date for your hysterectomy and have seen your consultant. I hope that you do not have to wait too long for the surgery. 

Stage 3 means basically that there has been some spread out of the womb but it is still within the pelvis. As you consultant has said this is treatable and after the surgery, you may be offered some further treatment. Before surgery you are normally given a provisional stage and grade and after the surgery they have a closer look and then they work out what is the best next step. The grade is also important and also a few other genetic markers and it is these that they also look at. It is reassuring that the consultant is telling you that this is treatable. 

I will pop a link to some info that may be of use.

Womb cancer booklet | Macmillan Cancer Support

It can be a scary time when you are first diagnosed but there are lots of lovely ladies on here who will understand and want to offer support. We also have a Support Line that you are welcome to call if you feel that talking things through would help. The details are below. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks Jane for your reply, can the stage and grade change when they analyse what they take away from the hysterectomy? My op is early October by the way.

alie p

• Occasionally there can be a little change or something unexpected found but usually they are pretty good at working out the stage and grades- they do it all the time and the biopsy and scans are usually very good. Post op it is just more a chance for an in depth look I suppose. 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm