Waiting for histology- can’t relax

• 2 replies
  • 85 subscribers

Hello everyone. 
I’ve been having symptoms for a year or so, which I put down to perimenopause( I’m 53 and still having periods).

I was put on 2 week pathway in June, after CA125 was high in blood tests. 

CT and ultrasound in July was  inconclusive

I had hysteroscopy and laparoscopy on Thursday, after which I was told that the endometrial lining was suspicious, that I would need an mRI and there was MDT meeting on 23/9/24.

Does this mean they think it’s cancerous?

I can’t relax.Why would I need an MRI as well as biopsies and investigative laparoscopy? 
What have others experienced? 
It’s been reassuring to read others comments on the forum. 
I can see I’m not alone in this situation. I just want to know, so I can focus on what needs to be done next. 
Best wishes to all x

• Hello LouLouFrancaise

Welcome to the Womb group.

i am sorry to hear that you have had some symptoms that needed to be investigated. It is really hard to wait for results and many ladies on here will remember the experience. It is hard to focus on much else. 

I think the thing to hold on to is that you have had some symptoms and are having them checked. This will hopefully lead to finding out what is causing them and lead to some treatment. Once you know what is going on and have a plan to deal with things- it does tend to feel easier. it's the not knowing sometimes that is the worst feeling.

CA125 is a useful marker in gynaecological cancers- particularly in ovarian and it is also used in endometrial cancer. However it does not give the whole picture and a high level can be due to different reasons. Cancer is only one of them. Infection etc could sometimes be a cause. A high level means further investigation is needed. 

A CT scan and ultrasound may help in a diagnostic process but again may not pick everything up or give a clear answer. The hysteroscopy is to take a clearer visual look. The actual biopsy - where they take a small sample of cells is actually the only thing that can say for sure whether any cancer cells are present. 

Sometimes during perimenopause and around menopause there can be some thickening or changes to the lining of the womb and this can cause bleeding. Sometimes this can be due to cancer, sometimes it is not. Hence the biopsy. 

Because there was a suspicious area within the womb lining and because the previous CT was inconclusive, the MRI would be the next step. To have a closer more detailed look. 

In my experience, all the tests were done before biopsy results came back, I suppose so they MDT had all the information available to make a diagnosis. In my case it was cancer but for others it may be that it isn't cancer but some other condition eg; hyperplasia, polyps etc But best to get all the tests done first. 

This time next week you should know for sure what the issue is and hopefully know what needs to happen next. 

In the meantime if talking things through would help, then please do consider giving the Support Line call. 

Good luck

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you Jane for your clear, thoughtful response. I am very grateful. Calmer today.  X