Diagnosed uterine cancer stage 1 - totally unexpected.

• 8 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hi. I never thought for one minute I would be diagnosed 're the above. Had hysteroscopy and biopsy 2 weeks ago, I see there's a very good post about the different stages just recently which has helped me as the Consultant said after I've had the hysterectomy they look again. Really quite worried now. 

Do we get over this ? Once all is removed are the chances of some kind of recurrence small ? Is this a common thing as we age ? So many questions ... What happens timeframe size if it was never discovered. I have a prolapse too (cystocele) and needed a pelvic floor repair (with a different hospital) so that's been put on hold. 

Am otherwise a normal healthy person that nothing bothers me so it's quite a shock. 

Thanks for letting me work off steam ...

• Hi Drina, sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

I know exactly how you feel. I was completely surprised and shocked by mine. I was type 1 stage 1A and hysterectomy histology results confirmed no further treatment required. I’m 13 weeks post op now and fitter than I was before diagnosis (to be honest the experience has made me extra focused on my fitness, I think that’s the thing that I’ve grabbed onto as a coping mechanism). So yes, you absolutely can get through and over this and I’m sure some of the other ladies on this site will be on soon to confirm.

Regarding your questions, I think it may depend on the type and stage. For me the consultant said the chance of it coming back is 3-6%, so I’m focusing on the 94-97% chance it won’t. This cancer is no where near as common as breast cancer (I’d never heard of it before I was diagnosed). The Cancer Research website has some good information and statistics on prevalence, etc.

Wishing you the best over the coming weeks, the waiting is the worst. We’re here if you need us.

• Thankyou so much for your reply. As you say I have to focus on the percentage where it doesn’t recur. I suppose am lucky it was found early as had no suspicion of anything. One thing bothers me in that they say it’s a day case. Am a little worried (and I am a worrier) that no one will be monitoring me at least the first night as GA tends to knock me for six and also the pain angle. Husband with the best will in the world can panic. Do you also need any visits from a district nurse for anything too ? It took me 2 weeks to recover from the hysteroscopy - and Consultant said I would be back on my feet in 2 weeks after this. I’m afraid I don’t believe her. 

• Hi Drina

Welcome to the Womb group.

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis and understand your worries. It can be a scary time but some how we do keep going.

Have you had a scan yet? That is normally the next step and they are looking to see exactly where the cancer is to determine the best treatment. Most ladies are offered a hysterectomy and you are right in thinking that once this is done they will do a more details pathology. It is this that will determine if any follow up treatment is needed. 

It is natural to have a lot of questions- I know I did but I would advise to stay away from google. I will pop a link to some info that may be of help.

Womb cancer booklet | Macmillan Cancer Support

We also have a Support Line that you are welcome to call if you feel it would be helpful. 

I can understand the shock of being diagnosed but being a normally fit and healthy person will help you recover from any treatment. I found personally to break things down into steps is the best plan as looking too far ahead can feel overwhelming. So for now, focus on getting the scans done and on the hysterectomy plans. 

Prognosis and recurrence factors can depend on lots of things. Stage and grade is most important but there are also other genetic factors that come into play. There are different types, stages and grades and these can affect things. After treatment most ladies are offered follow up appointments- mine are every 12 weeks for 2 years. At these appointments they check for signs of recurrence and see how you are doing generally. The idea is if there is a recurrence, it can be dealt with quickly. If after surgery follow up treatment is suggested then that will likely be to mop up any stray cells and to then reduce the risk of recurrence. 

Endometrial cancer can affect ladies of any age but it is more likely after the menopause as it can be the changes in the balance of the hormones. So yes it can be more common as we age. 

It is difficult to predict time frame wise what would happen if it was not discovered. It depends a lot on the grade as to when and whether it is likely to spread and how quickly. Some types are much more slow growing whereas others can be a bit more aggressive. 

I am not sure about the pelvic floor repair as this is not something I have had but I would just recommend speaking to your doctor about it. 

What I would expect to happen now for you is to have the scans and perhaps a week later to be invited for an appointment. During this appointment the consultant will go through all the results and talk about the hysterectomy. Mine was in April 2022. It was done laparoscopically. I had little pain, recovered quickly and was home the following day. 

Hope this helps a bit. If there is anything you want to ask, please do so.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Again thankyou Jane. Yes I’ve had a scan and hysteroscopy and yesterday a chest X-ray. I’ve signed my consent form and told I would be contacted within 6 weeks. I’ve been put down as an operative laparoscopy day case. Am starting to understand a little more now what all this means as have never had anything major wrong before. Never even took hrt as sailed through the menopause etc. 

its nice that people care enough to talk of such things on here. 

• I was the same- only previous surgery was wisdom teeth many years ago. 

Anything you need, ask away- I find the ladies on here really supportive

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• This is a brilliant forum. Honestly people here have been great at answering whatever my current concern has been. I've also been able to find answers to questions I haven't even asked yet!           

I do hope you won't have a long waiting time till your operation. 

• Hi Drina. Sorry you are going through this, but I hope you are finding the support here helpful. 
    I too was shocked to be given a diagnosis of endometrial cancer in July. Mine too was a grade 1A. I had a tiny amount of post menopausal bleeding and went straight to my GP and then it was a whirlwind of scans, hysteroscopy and an MRI. My gynaecologist said if you’re going to get a cancer, this is a ‘good’ one to get as it is mostly ‘treatable to a cure.’ 
    I had not realised the direct link between being overweight and endometrial cancer. I have struggled with my weight for years and have been told that I am at increased risk of other cancers because of this. This has been a real wake up call for me to continue with my ongoing weight loss journey, which I am doing successfully and with increased determination! 
    My hysterectomy was on 19th August and was done laparoscopically. I stayed in 1 night only and was absolutely fine!( I started another thread about my positive hysterectomy experience, which you should be able to find on here.) I have recovered really quickly and easily- it’s been so much better than I thought it would be. I’m 4 weeks post op and cut the grass this week!

My advice would be; Keep off Google (really difficult I know) and take this journey one stage/ procedure at a time! 
    Please keep us updated and lean on us for support whenever you need it. 
    Take care xx 

• Hi Drina, they won’t let you go home if you’re not ok or ready. I was in for 1 night, home the next morning and needed no pain relief after the second night at home. I was up and about very quickly and was walking (albeit slowly and gently at first) around the garden the day after going home. I’ve never been in hospital before so was extremely anxious, it really wasn’t anywhere near as bad or debilitating as I feared. I know it’s easier said than done but try not to worry too much over the coming weeks, keep busy!