Cancer spread to lymph nodes

• 7 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hello. Where do I start?

January 2024 - I was told I had a cyst on my ovary. Nothing to worry about.

May 2024 - Admitted to hospital with stomach pain. Cyst doubled in size. Had urgent operation to remove both ovaries, cyst and tubes. Everything else looked good but sample sent for tests.

9th July 2024 - results showed cancer. They were concerned they didn't think it was primary, so had ct scan which showed abnormal lymph nodes.

7th August - Had biopsy on lymph node by collar bone. This showed I have endometrial cancer which had spread to ovary and also to lymph node. Told it is stage 4!!!

Currently waiting to start chemotherapy next Friday 13th. My treatment is carboplatin and paclitaxel every 3 weeks for 6 sessions with another ct scan after 3 sessions.

Feeling petrified of chemo and really anxious about future. Can't seem to find anyone with my cancer which has spread to lymph nodes. Slight frownTrying to stay positive and active. I'm a healthy active 63 year old. 

• Hi Topic

Welcome to the Womb group and Online Community.

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis of endometrial cancer. it must have been a shock to have been diagnosed in this way. 

I will pop a link to some info that may be helpful.

Womb cancer booklet | Macmillan Cancer Support

Secondary cancer and the lymph nodes | Macmillan Cancer Support

I had chemo from May to August in 2022 and am currently well. If you click on my name my profile will come up.

I was also scared when told I would need chemo but although at times it was not easy, it was doable. Yes there are side effects, but on the whole these could be managed by medication and adjustments in doses. I don't know what chemo you will be having but mine was 4 cycles of carboplatin and paclitaxel - 21 days. So it was day 1 in hospital for the infusions then home to recover for 20 days then the cycle repeats. 

My main effects were hair loss (I did however keep a lot as I did scalp cooling), tummy effects and some back pain. I did feel quite fatigued. I would find the first week was the worst and I felt sort of fluey. Then I would improve by the second week and found I felt much better by the third week. The effects of each cycle did accumulate though. 

One important thing is to try to avoid infections as they can be more serious. I would advise getting an accurate thermometer and monitoring your temperature to see what is normal for you. You will be given a 24 hour number to call for the hospital cancer help line- and I found mine really helpful. You will be well monitored throughout treatment and have regular blood tests and reviews. 

I had lots of preconceived ideas about what chemo would be like, mainly from the media, books and films but my experience was very different. The chemo ward was bright and airy and groups of reclining chairs in bays. It was a calm and welcoming place and I was very well looked after.

Trying to stay positive will help but I also suggest just to go with the flow and see how you feel. Just to accept some days you may not feel great but at other times you will be able to go about your daily things and be active. Being generally fit and active will help you get through the treatment. 

We do have a Support Line that you are welcome to call if you feel like chatting things through. The details are below.

If there is anything you want to ask about or know, please do not be afraid to ask, there are a lot of lovely ladies on here who will want to offer you support.

I wish you well with your treatment and we are here if you need us.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you. That was very helpful. Glad you are doing well.

Everyone seems to have hysterectomy but they have said I'm not having that because it is already in lymph nodes. 

• Chemotherapy is a whole body treatment to target the cancer cells, whole body wise whereas a hysterectomy is to remove cancer that is in the local area. Sometimes both can be done. 

Chemotherapy can be a very effective treatment for cancer that has travelled from the original site. 

Sometimes chemo is done before surgery to reduce a tumour size or to deal with any spread. Sometimes its done after surgery to mop up any cells that may have escaped. 

The aim of the chemo is likely to be to try to get rid of the cancer and to put you into remission where there is no evidence of disease. There are different types of chemo and other treatments that can be offered if needed. 

There is a chemotherapy forum that you might find helpful to have a look at.

(2) Chemotherapy forum - Macmillan Online Community

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi, so sorry to hear your news. I’m not sure if this helps at all but my aunt (aged 75) was diagnosed with primary peritoneal (originally thought ovarian) cancer stage 3b earlier in the year. After carbo/pac chemo and surgery she’s recently been told she’s cancer free. Her cancer responded really well to the carbo/pac chemo. Wishing you all the best.

• Hi, like you I am a healthy, active 67 year old who is on the same chemo as you. I was horrified when I first found I had endometrial cancer as I am so healthy or so I thought. I will be having my 6th and final chemo on Monday. My experience was not as bad as the preconceived idea of chemo. Between each cycle I had 3 days where I felt sick and weak but once that passed I was back to normal and even continued my twice weekly zumba classes. Good luck with your treatment and try not to worry.... although I know thats impossible. X

• Thank you. Yes it does help to hear that.

• Thank you. Great to hear she is doing well and cancer free x