Hello

• 9 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Hello everyone

I have recently joined the forum, but have had endometrial cancer since March 2023.

I consider myself very lucky.  At age 56, I have been past the menopause for a few years, one small bleed, off to the GP and then a hysteroscopy to find that a polyp was cancerous.  Only that polyp, there was nothing else.

The gold standard my consultant keeps telling me is to have a full hysterectomy including tubes, ovaries and lymph nodes.  To say I am scared of the surgery is an understatement.   I have a mirena coil just now, and at the last hysterscopy in March 2024, there are a minute number of cancerous and pre-cancerous cells.  So little that nothing was picked up on the MRI and CT scans.

The consultant has said that if I wish to have a further hysteroscopy, that's fine.  I have another scheduled for end of this month.  After that, if all is okay, then probably again in a year.  Five years of nothing and I'm officially clear.

I'm interested to know if anyone is in the same situation.  I just feel that if there are so few cancer cells there - the mirena is doing it's job.  A hysterectomy is such a major operation, and with potential issues afterwards.  I'm not exactly fit and healthy, so any surgery is a risk.

Pendle

• Hi Pendle, I’m 38 and diagnosed with endometrial cancer last April. I’m affected by Lynch Syndrome and I have been advised to go through hysterectomy…I have given the choice of conservative approach to have child but it’s risky because of my syndrome. I guess your situation is slightly different. I have currently Mirena coil as well. All the best !!!!

• Hi Pendle, welcome to the forum. I’m not in your situation and I hope you don’t mind me posting but I just wanted to offer to answer any questions you might have about my hysterectomy op (Jan 2022) in case it might help alleviate some of your concerns. I’m 65.

• Hi, just to tell you about my recent experience, I am 77 this month, and in May I had a hysteroscopy which showed endometrial cancer, and I had to have a radical hysterectomy in early June (womb, ovaries, fallopian tubes, top of cervix  all out luckily by laparoscopy.  I had only mild discomfort afterwards , and was only in hospital 2 nights. Walking fine on 3rd day, and felt fine when family collected me, and took it a bit easy while the internal scars healed, but still did light housework and went for short walks as soon as I was home.

The tiny scars are no longer visible and have had no pain from the area since I've been back home, but now I face 25 days of radiotherapy, then possibly chemo too. With hindsight, I would have opted to have this surgery at 50, to avoid the situation I'm in now. But this is just my story,  and other people may not be so lucky with their surgical outcome. Good luck anyway whatever you decide!

• Thanks all for your replies.  I'm not scared of the surgery itself - I've had a gastric bypass and problematic gallbladder removal before now.  It's the post-hysterectomy life. I remember many years ago my mother had one. Emergency radical as she had had a ovarian cyst the size of a football.  When she was home, she spent several weeks bent over unable to even lift a kettle.  She had problems with incontinence too, but there wasn't the products available today to help.  She's the only example that I've to go by.  I'm not aware of anyone else in my circle.

If, when I have this next hysteroscopy, there is sign of further cancer cells.  Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get it done.

• (+) Positive Hysterectomy Experience - Macmillan Online Community

Hi Pendle

Welcome to the Womb forum. I have popped a link above with some reassuring experiences. 

Hysterectomies have certainly come a long way since your Mum's time. 

Mine was done laparoscopically, I had little pain, home the next day and recovered quickly. It was a lot more straightforward than I thought. Had to take it easy for a bit and not lift anything, but was able to go for short walks as soon as I was home. No problems with pelvic floor- and I also went on to have chemo and radiotherapy. 

Hope this helps

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi again Pendle, I did wonder if it was something like that. Let me reassure you that most hysterectomy ops nowadays are nothing like that! The advent of laparoscopic/robotic surgery has been incredible for this op. I had my op lunchtime on a Saturday, was in one night, and as soon as the catheter was removed 6.30am Sunday, I hopped out of bed and didn’t return to it. No need for any pain meds. Straight back, walking to and from the loo, up to the nursing station and back, got dressed; then went home lunchtime, went straight out for a 5 min walk, prepared a simple meal, only went to bed at bedtime - rested when I needed to, took paracetamol at night for two nights just in case, but other than that, didn’t take anything. Walked 5 mins twice a day for the first 2-3 days, then gradually increased till I was up to 30-40 mins a day by two weeks post op. Was careful about lifting, did gentle pelvic floor exercises from about day 3-4 as per the leaflet. I was out for lunch 5 days post op, walking the dog off lead 6 days post op, back at church 8 days post op with older ladies gasping when they heard I’d had a hysterectomy as I looked so well. It is still of course major surgery but the advances in less invasive techniques have made such a difference to recovery. 

• Thanks for that info.  Yes, I am influenced by my mothers experience as there's no one else who has had the same operation. 

• Your apprehension is understandable but it really is a different ballgame nowadays.
    Did they tell you what grade cancer the polyp was? With me, I had a polyp removed during a hysteroscopy under GA - it was found to be cancerous (grade 1) so I had a hysterectomy. I was predicted stage 1. The post op histology showed that there were a few cancerous cells on top of my cervix so that meant it had become stage 2. So I was offered radiotherapy and brachytherapy too as an insurance policy so that any other stray cells could be nuked and not spread into my lymphatic system. Whatever you decide is obviously your choice but I’d encourage you to maybe try and keep an open mind, and possible reconsider.

• I had my hysterectomy last  December aged 78. They removed  my  womb, cervix and  ovaries since I wouldnt be needing them and to avoid me  needing regular  follow ups. I  had 4 minor puncture wounds and apart from  being over  nervous it was no where  near the  big deal I expected it to be. I was in hospital  for  1 night only and walked the corridors out  to the car park  the next day. I was advised not  to  lift anything  heavier than a  kettle for a period of time and given lots of hints about  showers and  no baths  sort of thing. I went on line and bought recommended  big cotton  comfortable pants, so had  no discomfort. I didnt listen to anyone who had it yrs ago, this is a real game changer. Would  it have been  a choice, not at all, has it saved my life, hopefully !!. My gynocologist seemed very keen to  get it it done for  me, and I am so glad she was, it was by far the best advice.