Hysterectomy and urine retention

• 5 replies
  • 69 subscribers

Has anyone experienced urine retention post hysterectomy?I had it after op then it eased and now 2weeks later it's back..and painful

• Hi, 

Yes I did. I was kept in hospital for 2 days because I couldn't wee. A nurse told me to lift one leg up, then the other and that certainly helped to squeeze the urine out. I had a weird experience after 4 days after the op. They said I could have a bath, which I did, but when I stood up to get out urine poured out of me uncontrollably. I was scared out of my wits and went back to hospital to be checked out. Everything was fine, and the consultant said it was all just settling down. The bath had relaxed my muscles. I found that if I put a warm flannel over my bladder that helped as well. I also read after that  your bladder might need retraining. I started timing loo trips. I went every two hours, then 3, then 4 and it gradually became normal. I think you should get checked for any infection and go from there. Good luck.  

• Thank you for replying,I have phoned 111  &they have passed me on to the badger out of hours &am awaiting a call..I'm going to try a warm flannel now.and take some paracetamol 

• Hi I hope you are ok as sounds like it needs sorting very soon ! When I struggled in hospital after the catheter was removed I ran the tap in the bathroom and although I was drinking a lot of water why h wasn’t shifting it it was like a smoothie drink that helped me xx hope you get sorted asap xx

• I've now been prescribed antibiotics  for urine infection Fingers crossed

• That should solve the pain. I just couldn't feel anything, let alone if I need to wee!!!!