Recently diagnosed

• 7 replies
  • 85 subscribers

Hi.

Recently diagnosed with Endometrial Cancer.  All gone very quickly Biopsies  mid November told 5 Dec Oncology Team split 50/50 as to pre-cancer or established.  MRI showed established Cancer and had to have full hysterectomy tomorrow, Fallopian tubes and ovaries removed plus they woukd take 4 lymph nodes to check.  Told possibly stage 1B Cancer.

Had surgery on 16 Jan 2024, saw the Surgeon on 7 Feb everything had gone well however only 3 of 4 lymph nodes were clear but very small amount t of Cancer in 4th but now Cancer had been re classified to  Stage 3C1 cancer! And have to have 6 rounds of Chemo. 

Waiting for new appointment with Oncologist to discuss the treatment a d to decide if having it told it is my choice either way zi will continue to be monitored for 3 years.

Surgeon has been so nice explained everything so calmly and caringly.  

My family dint seem to understand how serious it is and as I live on my own have to do this all by myself ::( 

Trying to stay positive.

Unsure whether to go through Chemo or not its a preventative in case a single cell escaped the lymph node 

.No one to talk to ..... feel pretty alone :Disappointed 

•   this cancer journey can feel so isolating, I also live on my own (well, I have a 5 year old foster child here and my dog Slight smile). All I can suggest is reach out here, there is the Macmillan online chat 8-8 if you prefer typing or the phone line x

• Hi.  

Thanks for responding much appreciated.  

That's why I thought I'd join the forum so that I could get some info and see how others have coped etc.  

I'm usually very independent and like to be organised I'm not used to relying on others or having to ask for help but never mind so out of my confirm zone right now.

Wishing you a good week Slight smile

• Hi Maxelyn, I was diagnosed in March 2022 with Serous Endometrial Cancer. After my hysterectomy the final staging was Stage 3C2. Like you I was advised to have chemo but was told it was my choice. To me it was a no brainer. I was prepared to have any treatment that was offered. Chemo is not pleasant but it is doable. I also had four sessions of brachytherapy which is a type of internal radiotherapy but didn’t need any external radiotherapy. I had a CT scan in February 2023 and this was completely clear. I’ve just had another routine CT scan but still waiting for the results, although I feel fine and my latest blood test was normal. My advice would be to have the chemo but talk it through with your CNS if you have concerns. Please feel free to read my profile which goes into more detail. You are not alone in going through this!

• Hi Maxelyn

I am sorry to hear that your cancer was restaged after your post op pathology. I hope that you are recovering well from the op and that you do not have to wait too long for you appointment.

With chemo it is normally recommended for stage 3 and it is, as you say to mop up any stray cells that have escaped. Because a lymph node is affected then it shows that this is a possibility. I had LVSI and stage 1b and that meant I was a bit behind you. LVSI means the cancer cells were found in the tiny blood/lymphatic vessels coming from the tumour but had not yet reached a lymph gland. So I was recommended chemo to mop up any cells that had got out. With yours they seem to have managed to arrive at a lymph node. So because mine had not reached a lymph node- mine remained at stage 1b but because yours had it moves to stage 3. I am not sure the grade of your cancer and whether that would have a bearing on chemo or not. 

I had chemo in 2022. 4 cycles of carboplatin/paclitaxel. This seems to be the most common type of chemo offered. It was a 21 day cycle- so the first day is a hospital day where you have the infusions and then the rest of the time you are at home. I found it hard at times but it was doable and far better than worrying that the cancer would return. Yes, there are some side effects- and your consultant will talk you through them, but there is medication that can be given to help. Hair loss is a concern for many people and I used the cooling cap which helped me save my hair. 

I do not regret doing chemo and only you can make the decision- but I would only urge you to make sure it is an informed one. If you want to ask anything about the chemo, then please do so. 

I felt alone at times- even with lots of people around- it can be hard as it is you that it is happening to. The Support Line number is below and if it helps do please give it a call and talk through the chemo decision with one of the nurses. They can be fab as well, if you just need a chat. 

Here if you need anything

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Jane.

Thanks for that much appreciated.  Have basically madebmy mind up to do whatever is needed.  

Om just concerned as I'm Diabetic type 2 insulin and many other physical diagnoses that I'm.concernrd how my body will react.

I'm sure its do-able just not easy being on my own with little to no family support.

Thanks again.

• Hi.

Thanks for responding.  I was shocked from going from 50/50 pre-cancer? To Stage 3C1 following surgery.

I'm prepared to do whatever it takes just nervous as I'm type2 Diabetic, on insulin and have many other physical complex diagnosis.

But like you said it's a no brainer and do-able.  Glad you had good results fingers crossed your new results will be good too.

• Hi Maxelyn,

I must say I was never given a provisional staging or anything like that before my hysterectomy so I didn’t experience the shock that you had. All I knew from the start was that I had a Type 2 womb cancer which was a more aggressive type, so things moved quite quickly.  I had confidence in the team looking after me and called my CNS if I needed reassurance or had any questions. I’m sure the team looking after you will have had many patients with all sorts of underlying health conditions. You will be well looked after I’m sure.