Womb Biopsy

• 15 replies
  • 88 subscribers

Hi Everyone,  just after some advice.   I am 5 years  post menopause  and taking hrt.  Had done brown discharge, scan showed my womb thickness was borderline.   I am due to have a biopsy  next week.  I am really scared  as I had 2 failed coil attempts when the children were young.  I suffer from anxiety also.  Can I asked for a general anaesthetic? or at least gas and air? I was told not painvrelief offered  at this clinic only in the hysterscopy clinic which is the next stage.  I am so worried I won't be able to manage the pain.  Any advice please.

• Hello Goose100

Welcome to the Online Community. I am sorry to hear that you have had some discharge and that a scan shows a borderline thickness in your womb.

I can understand why you are scared about the procedure. I was before mine. In the end the thing that helped most was speaking to the nurse who was going to do the biopsy. She actually phoned me and talked me through what was going to happen. She was honest but reassuring. I did not feel rushed and had time to ask questions. She suggested taking some paracetamol an hour before the biopsy which I did.

On the day I arrived at the hospital I was extremely nervous but they could not have been kinder or more supportive. I did not feel rushed or pushed into anything. 

Have you a phone number that you can call and ask to speak to the person who will be doing the biopsy to be able to talk to them about your concerns? You will be able to on the day but I found it helped to do so before. You would then be able to mention your anxiety about managing any pain and about the coil attempts.

Some ladies do indeed have the procedure under General Anaesthetic and it is something you can ask about. However at all times I felt it was under my control and if I had found it too painful and asked them to stop, I know they would have. In all honesty I found about 10 seconds painful when they pushed the instrument through my cervix. But I counted to 10 and it was done. The rest, to me felt a bit like period cramps and was manageable. I did feel a bit light headed afterwards but I think this was more to do with being so anxious and also with losing the blood. 

I did actually ask about gas and air when the nurse phoned me and she did say that I could if I wanted it. In the end though, taking the paracetamol before, the nurses talking me through what would happen before hand and during the biopsy made it feel manageable. The other thing that worried me before the procedure was the idea that a biopsy would involve some sort of cutting. It did not- they used a very fine straw like thing and collected samples that way. 

I do understand how scary it is, I felt the same. My advice is to give them a call and maybe write a list of what is worrying you and go through it step by step and do ask about the GA if you feel that you would cope better with it. 

If you feel talking it through would help then please do give the Support Line a call (details are below) and speak with one of the nurses who can explain a little more about what will happen and what your choices are.

Good Luck. If there is anything else you want to ask, please do so.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Jane

Thank you so much for such a lovely reassuring reply.

It is good to hear someone who has had  a good experience.   My friend and daughter inlaw didn't have such a great experience, which has been on my mind also.

I did speak with the triage team.  She said their was no pain relief available at that appointment and to discuss any concerns  when I get their.  I have some ibuprofen  and paracetamol  along with a diazepam from my gp.

I will try and manage and see how I go.  My husband  is coming with me so that will help. I have been practising  my breathing  technique. . 

Thank you again, very much appreciated. 

• I’ve not had children so was expecting things to be painful, I didn’t have a problem at all which surprised me as I have a low pain threshold…out of all the poking and prodding I had done this year and back in 2019 the worst bit was having a Mirena coil put in and even that wasn’t too bad.

There were nurses there chatting away to me and helped me try and forget what was going on elsewhere…I had biopsies taken blind and also with a hysteroscopy, and had polyps removed by the Myosure procedure and under a GA.

I hope everything goes ok for you and it’s soon all over and done with, and that you get normal results from the biopsy x

• Morning Duffers Mum

Thank you for replying and sharing your experience  with me.  It is really reassuring  to hear positive experiences.   I am hoping it all goes smoothly.  

• Goose100, I do hope you have an okay experience but if not please don’t hesitate to ask them to stop. My consultant stopped my procedure as he was worried I might faint or go into shock. I had wanted him to keep trying but he made the decision and it was the right thing to do. 

• Hi Marmitefan59

Thank you for your reply.  I will ask them to stop if it hurts too much.  I have a history of fainting with pain.  I am hoping the diazepam will help me differentiate between the fear of pain and pain itself if you know what I mean.  I dont mind being uncomfortable  but I am not willing to let them hurt me.  I am shocked there is no gas and air available.  I used this in childbirth and it worked at treat.  Did you have yours rescheduled  under a general anaesthetic or local? and how was it for you?

Thank you again

• Hi again Goose100, mine wasn’t just a biopsy, it was a biopsy as part of a hysteroscopy. I had had a trans vaginal ultrasound the week before which had revealed a thickened lining and a polyp so the next step was a hysteroscopy. Different hospitals do things differently. I took paracetamol an hour before, and had a local anaesthetic injection into my cervix. The cervix typically stenoses post menopause and I’m also quite small inside despite having had one of my children vaginally. So I imagine that’s why it was difficult. The hysteroscopy under GA a few weeks later was a breeze however. 

• Thank you Marmitefan59

Fingers crossed it is successful and I can manage.  I have been feeling very emotional about it.  I think anything to do with my womb and procedures  stirs up awful memories, I had a severe shoulder dystopia with one of my children.  The anesthetist was unavailable, it was very traumatic. Even 30 years later I can cry thinking about it.

• Hello  

I'm glad you have reached out for some support - although I'm sorry you are in this situation. I'm glad your GP has given you some diazepam to help. We all have our unique experiences of hysteroscopy and I hope mine helps you.

I was very nervous before my hysteroscopy and that is a normal response to a procedure such as this. I had my babies via caesarean section and worried that my cervix wouldn't be easy to go through as I hadn't had vaginal ldelivery.

I was advised to take some paracetamol one hour before the procedure. There were two nurses in the room and a consultant. They explained what they were going to do and they made sure I was very comfortable and covered me up as much as they could before they began. 

I practised my relaxing birth breathing that I could still remember after 34 years!!! I tried to focus on that and it helped relax me a but 

I was surprised that it felt no more uncomfortable than a smear test to begin with. The Consultant said he was going to take some biopsies. I felt intermittent mild period pain  discomfort. At some point there was some gentle flushing of some warm water down below. That was no problem at all. They explained everything as they went along.

I was given some tissue to wipe myself with after and I had a sanitary towel ready as you can bleed a little after biopsies are taken. 

They really looked after me and preserved my dignity with curtains etc.

As others have already said, try to speak to a Macmillan nurse beforehand for reassurance. Also if at any point you feel it is too painful just say stop. It is your body and you have every right.

I was totally surprised how much easier it was than I expected, especially after two very difficult births. 

I hope everything goes well for you.

• P.s I did not have an injection in my cervix.