Just diagnosed

• 7 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Post menopausal bleeding led me to the doctor and it has been a whirlwind since then. Hysteroscopy found loads of polyps which they removed. Found out this week they were cancer. Alternating between terrified and trying to be positive. Can’t stop shaking. Have CT and MRI on Monday. Horrible feeling it’s spread but trying not to fear the worst. I am over 18 stone, BMI 46, diabetic, high BP but consultant has prescribed Megace but I am too scared to take it given the side effects (consultant led with ‘1 in 1000 chance of sudden death, do you want a prescription?’!!!). 

• Hello PinchOfSalt

Welcome to the Online Community.

I am sorry to hear that you have had an endometrial cancer diagnosis. I can remember the whirlwind feeling when I had my diagnosis. Your feelings can be naturally all over the place. What I found helped most was to go with the flow and accept that it was normal to feel like this, talk to family and friends about how I was feeling and to have accurate information about what my choices were and what would happen next. I can remember feeling very teary and shaky. 

I see you have your scans on Monday. I hope that they go well. It is normal to have these after the diagnosis and they are looking to see exactly where the cancer is and if it has gone anywhere else. From these scans they can then start talking about and planning treatment. If there has been any spread then they need to know as they need to decide the best possible treatments to offer you. 

After the scan results come back I would imagine that they will call you to come in and discuss what happens next. The waiting is hard but once the results from my scans came back, things did move very quickly.

I have not had experience of Megace but can understand your concerns. Have you got a phone number for the CNS team at the hospital that you could call and ask for some reassurance? or even your GP to go through your worries about the side effects. With your BMI, blood pressure and diabetes maybe the benefits will outweigh the risks but only you and your doctors can decide what is right for you. But you have every right to ask questions about it. 

You say that you are going from terrified to positive and that is very normal. It is scary to have a cancer diagnosis and be at the stage you are at and not knowing yet what is going to happen. But it is good that they have found it and now they can begin to go through with you the treatments. 

We have a Support Line (number at the bottom of this) that you can call if you feel like talking things through would help. You can also ask one of the nurses about the Megace. They are lovely on there.

I am also going to pop a couple of links below with some info that you might find helpful at some point. Do not feel that you have to look at them but I found getting a bit of information did help me feel a bit more that things were under control.

Womb cancer booklet | Macmillan Cancer Support

Megestrol acetate (Megace®) | Macmillan Cancer Support

I hope this helps a bit, but if there is anything else that you need or want to ask, then please do so. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Jane - thank you so much for your reply. Very helpful. Yes I had already looked through the links you provided and they are very useful and informative. Your words are very kind and sensible. Our cat is a very good listener and has helped Joy 

thanks again. Want to get the scans done now (they brought them forward and I have both on Monday - they have been so quick with everything which adds to the whirlwind feeling I guess)

Val 

• My cats were a great source of comfort when I was recovering from treatments. One in particular would curl up next to me. I am sure he knew. 

Its good they have bought the scans forward- not so long to wait and hopefully you should have the results back and a plan around this time next week. 

Good Luck 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Waiting is THE worst…days go by so slowly…try to be positive as much as you can…I so know the merry go up & down…this too shall pass as day leads to night no matter our situation and then you’ll know one way or another and you know what you’ll deal with it no matter.  Cause if it’s good news, which I hope will be the case you’ll still have multiple follow-ups that keeps the big C with you for some time and if its not then there’s lots they can do to help you especially catching it so early.  So chin up girl, you got this.

Ann xx

womb secondary in lung & omendum undergoing chemo

• Many thanks Ann, I really appreciate your insight. Yes it’s the waiting that causes the anxiety - for my family too. The scans will be discussed in the MDT but they don’t tell me when! Very frustraJoyng. I like being in control and this all messes with my head Joy. Oh well - as my son says ‘it is what it is’.  Good luck with your journey.

Val xx

• The MDT meetings are usually weekly on a Friday. Ask them for a follow-up appointment next week would be my advice.  Then you’ll know more by asking for this what your particulare  time-table is…