Never rains but it pours

• 4 replies
  • 87 subscribers

I started a new job in September which I absolutely love (work in a school and transferred within county so have 10+ years continuous service).

Bit of background which is totally irrelevant.

I have been dealing with a child who decided to confide in me some trauma the family had gone through (school were aware and support put in place but she likes to go into detail with me). It is very similar to something I went through 11 years ago. It took me a while to confide in my line manager who luckily for me is also my class teacher. Anyway I have an underlining heart condition and was quite poorly at weekend so phoned out of hours for advise and was seen my doctor who said I was emotionally exhausted (he didn’t know me or what I was going through but it obviously tied in), told my line manager on the Monday morning and she put support in place. After school on the Monday I went for a scan before having a procedure to stop my periods but instead they found something else, yesterday (a week after my scan) someone from gynaecology phoned me to arrange for me to go in for a hysteroscope. Bit scary how quick they have phoned me. Also while this has been going on I have had one of my children in and out of A&E because she has bad pain in one leg, can’t move it properly and swelling to both hands and feet but all tear have come back ok so far.

If I wasn’t mentally drained before I definitely am now and on top I know I’m probably going to get my test results during the Christmas holidays (I am grateful that nothing will probably happen this side of Christmas except my hysteroscope and get to spend the run up to Christmas with my new class in school and then at home with my children). 

• Hi JessRose, welcome to the group. I feel for you as you seem to have a lot going on at the moment. If cancer is a possibility, then you’re likely to be on a two week pathway which should mean your hysteroscopy should happen within two weeks. My hysteroscopy under local anaesthetic “failed” so I had it done a few weeks later under GA. I then got my results two weeks after that. If your hysteroscopy is successful first time, you might get your results before Christmas. Just wanted you to be prepared. 

• Thanks. It’s 3 weeks until my hysteroscope. Unfortunately if I do need GA they have to contact cardiology and I have to have a heart scan before I can have the GA. Although it all hits me often I do spend most of my time feeling positive/ what will be will be type mindset, it’s hard not to when spending the day surrounded by children 

• Hello Jess Rose

Welcome to the Online Community.

I am sorry that you have so much going on at the moment.

I can understand that it is worrying when you get a call back after a scan, but the main thing is, if there is something going on the sooner it is found the better. 

I was also phoned the day after my ultrasound. Ultrasounds seem very good at picking up if something causes concern and I remember the person who did mine said that the scan pictures would be sent immediately to the doctor. It doesn't necessarily mean that something bad is going on- it means that something needs further checking. The hysteroscopy is to take a closer look and if necessary they take a biopsy at the same time. 

I had my biopsy done in outpatients and I was advised to take some painkillers first. For me it was manageable and the nurses looked after me well. You do tend to bleed afterwards so take some pads with you- I took some of the Always night time ones. My nurse phoned me the day before the procedure to go through the finer details and it gave me an opportunity to ask questions. If at any point you find it too painful then you can ask them to stop and they can offer some people a general anaesthetic. 

I had the day off work for the biopsy but was fine to go back the next day. I did feel a bit washed out but that I feel was more the emotional side. I bled for a couple of days but it was only heavy on the day that I had it done.

I see you have your appointment in 3 weeks and I hope that it all goes ok. In the meantime if there is anything you need please do ask.

Good Luck

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hello  

I am 9 weeks post op for total hysterectomy. Just wanted to say my hysteroscopy went better than I expected. I was advised to take a couple of paracetamol an hour before which I did. The Consultant and his staff were gentle, kind and respectful. They explained everything as they were going along. I felt a similar discomfort to a mild period pain when the Consultant took biopsies, but apart from that it was completely manageable. I was pleasantly surprised as I thought it would be more painful than that  

We are all unique and have our own personal experiences  of hysteroscopy. I can only tell you what mine was - as truthfully and honestly as I can. I hope this helps a bit. 

Best wishes.