Hysterectomy

• 8 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hello,

Im new here so thought I would be brave and say hello. I had a hysterectomy two days a go and now home. Main thing I’m struggling a little with is the pain that goes up in the ribs and shoulders, feels like trapped air trying to get out so drinking peppermint tea. Slightly dreading the first bowel movement so any advice welcome. 
I was diagnosed grade 1a and have been told I will have results of the op in two weeks x 

• Hi ShayneP and welcome! Well done for having had your op and I’m glad you’re home and recovering. Did you have it done laparoscopically? I had my first bowel movement on day 4 without having taken anything. It was slightly uncomfortable but only for a few seconds. I’d kept my diet light before then - protein and fruit mostly - and I think that helped. I was expecting some wind pains like I’d had after my c section 35 years ago but thankfully didn’t have that with my hysterectomy. I went for a gentle 5 minute walk when I got home from hospital and walked 5 mins morning and afternoon after that for the first few days, then building up after that, and that may have helped. 

• Thank you for replying. I had a robotic surgery. So far I’m keeping to higher protein and simple eating. I’m finding peppermint tea is helping with the build up of wind in my tummy but the pain is definitely going upwards to the ribs. I’m walking up and down the corridor in my daughters house to keep moving. 

• Hi. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Mine was grade 1. I had my hysterectomy on 3 Oct. I had trapped wind for a few days. I was advised peppermint tea would help and i think it did. I would try to keep your diet light, with more fibre. I think alot of protein might make your first bowel movement more difficult. I had mine on day five after laxative, try stool softener if nes.  The wind pain subsided after a few days. I went for walks and found i needed a nap  in the afternoon on some days  in the first couple of weeks. I am post op week six now and this is the first week i have felt more like myself. I am driving now! Good luck with everything and take care.

• Thank you for the advice, will swap to more fibre. Glad you are feeling more like yourself now and nice to know the wind pain subsides after a few days. I’ve been given laxative capsules to take each day so hopefully they will help too. 
    All the best to you too with continuing feeling more yourself. 

• Hello ShayneP

Welcome to the Online Community and the Womb group. I am sorry to hear that you had a diagnosis of cancer leading to your hysterectomy. 

I hope you are settled back in at home. I was keen to get home as soon as I could. 

On your discharge paperwork you should have a contact number for your CNS/hospital team and do not be afraid to give them a call with any worries. Mine were brilliant.

During the operation they pump CO2 into your abdomen to give them a clearer look and you are right in thinking that the trapped air can take a while to disperse - I was also warned that I might feel it in my left shoulder. If you are concerned give your CNS a call. Peppermint tea does help a bit but I found once I was moving around a bit more it did naturally disperse. 

I also worried about the first bowel movement and for me it was a couple of days post surgery. I was advised to take stool softeners (ducolease) and these did work. It might be something you could also ask your CNS- if they are suitable for you. 

My post op pathology came back at 3 1/2 weeks post surgery so do not be concerned if yours takes a bit longer. It doesn't mean anything is wrong - it's sometimes just how busy the hospital is. 

I will pop a link here with some general information that you might find helpful.

Womb cancer booklet | Macmillan Cancer Support

If at any point you feel like talking things through would help then please do consider giving the Support Line a call. The number is below and they are lovely on there.

I hope this helps a bit but if there is anything else you need or want to ask, then please do so.

Wishing you a good recovery.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• ShayneP, as your only two days post op I personally wouldn’t worry too much about not having had a poo yet - your choice entirely but fruit especially prunes could easily shift things naturally. Also, re fibre, I’d personally favour non-starchy fibre as starchy fibre can be harder to digest - so fruit and some veg. 

• Thank you that’s really useful and have stopped thinking about it until it now happens. 

• Thank you so much for all the info, the pain isn’t so bad today thank goodness, I know it’s early days. I’ve been given laxatives by the hospital which are capsules I’m taking twice a day plus lots of water and peppermint tea. 
    I appreciate you replying, thank you. It’s really helpful when others reach out who have gone through it.