Belly button infection?

• 2 replies
  • 85 subscribers

Good morning.

Has anyone had a slight discharge from belly button after hysterectomy. Mine is slightly red, a little sore and there is a very small amount of discharge on a tissue after drying. 

I am concerned about pos infection but i dont want needlessly take antibiotics if i dont have to.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

• Hello Foliage,

Why not get it checked and maybe a swab taken- then if it is infected you will know but if not then you will not needlessly need to take antibiotics. Another possibility is that they could give you an antibiotic or antibacterial cream perhaps. Worth checking though in case there is something going on underneath that you can not yet see. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Foliage, it’s very common for the belly button laparoscopic incision to become a bit weepy post op. I’d recommend phoning the ward or your CNS and getting advice - you could offer to send in a photo. When mine was like that, the advice I was given was to very gently wipe with a cotton bud dipped in cooled boiled salted water then squeezed out so that it wasn’t too wet. But definitely ask the ward or your CNS.