New here with new diagnosis

• 12 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hi all! Just back from getting my biopsy results-grade 1 uterine cancer. And it’s ok as I’d worried that it was possibly a higher grade. Now I wait for scans. And hope that the very efficient service I’ve had means it hasn’t escaped from my uterus. I’m waiting till I’ve had scans and know the full plan before I tell my elderly mum. I worry more about telling family than I do about the cancer! 

• Hi. I am Sorry to hear that. I had the same diagnosis in Sept. I have had a full hysterectomy on 3/10.  I am not medically trained but as far as i know the treatment is a hysterectomy.

This removes the uterus therefore removes the cancer in that area. Please seek advice from the gyni oncolgy nurse or consultant.

After my op they performed tests  to check if the cancer had spread.

Luckily i was given the all clear today.

Not meaning to scare you but get in touch with them.

I have had a few issues after op but it wasnt as bad as i thought. Its still early days.

Hope this is helpful.

The more knowledge you have you  , you may feel  able to let your family know.

• Thanks and that’s great news about your all clear! As for knowledge, I’m an ex theatre nurse and used to work with gynaecologists doing complex procedures! But it’s such a different feeling being the patient-and a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing! However in a few weeks time, fingers crossed, I’ll be in your position-enjoy your happy news! 

• I hope you are.

I was in shock for a week after i was told. Its been a very difficult coyple of months.

Good luck with everything.

• Hi stans mum and welcome to the group! That’s good news about the predicted grade. After my hysteroscopy results showed I had cancer I had an MRI and a chest X ray, but I know some hospitals do CTs. I didn’t tell my adult children about having cancer until I’d got my staging results as I didn’t want to have to deal with their upset without knowing more about my situation. Have they given you any idea yet of how long you’d have your hysterectomy?

• Thanks for the welcome! No idea of time scale but very clear path-scans, MDT discussion then surgery. I’m thinking another 4-6 weeks. It’s all been very smooth and efficient so far. 

• When I got my hysteroscopy results (a Friday)  I was very fortunate in that I got a phone call that same afternoon offering me my scan the following Tuesday. And then when I had the scan and X Ray, I got those results 3 days later on the Friday as my results had come back just in time for the Friday morning MDT. I had my pre op assessment 3 weeks after that, and my op 5 weeks after my pre op. Have you been given the contact details for your CNS?

• Not yet-consultant is sending letter with all details (CNS, his secretary’s number etc). I’m impressed how quickly you had all your investigations! My hysteroscopy was on a Wednesday (consultant was suspicious of how it looked) and the results were through about 10 days later. 

• Hi again stansmum, my hysteroscopy results took just over two weeks to come through; my MDT met on a Friday morning and the results came through one Friday afternoon and therefore had to be held back till the following Friday morning. I got luckier with thr timings after that! 

• Hi, 

I was told on Sept 18 I had endometrial cancer (after hysteroscopy on Sept 6), had a CT the following Friday, then on the Monday (MDT meeting Mon mornings) was told that they couldn't see cancer outside the womb but think it is potentially a grade 3 cancer, so want me to go to the bigger hospital 25 miles away so I can have total hysterectomy and sentinel lymph node biopsy, this is all happening on Monday. 

It is all very surreal and I am not sure I even believe I have cancer....

I have yet to be given any staging, they said this will.take.about 4 weeks after the operation. 

I hope you are not kept waiting too long.

• Sounds like they are getting you sorted good and quick-as they should! Good luck! And I agree with the surreal feeling!