Hello I'm new here

• 9 replies
  • 88 subscribers

I have been diagnosed with Endometrial Carcinoma of Serous Type Grade 3.

I have my Hysterectomy Operation on Monday 9th October.

This is all still surreal to me and I don't honestly know how I feel. Friends and family are all sending me uplifting messages of support as if I'm falling apart.....but I'm not feeling anything???

Not scared, not anger, not emotional NOTHING.

Just going through the motions as if it is happening to someone else.

Is this normal?

xxx

• Hi ChellyD,

I am new here too.

I can relate to what you are saying. I had my hysterectomy three weeks ago and I still feel a bit numb as if it has not all completely sunk in. There is no right or wrong way to be or feel. This is a lot to take in. I'm trying to take it one day at a time, maybe that is my way of coping. My surgery has gone OK and I have to have radiotherapy once I'm healed. I have already got some amazing advice and support on this thread. I am sure you will too. Thinking of you. 

• Thx KT89

Makes me feel a bit more normal;)

Was the operation painful? I'm dreading tge unknown.

I think once treatment starts I will feel like a cancer patient. I have to have lymph nodes removed for biopsy and then chemo and radiation afterwards.

Hope your radiation goes well and kills off any irregular and or cancerous remaining cells.

xxx ChellyD

• Hi, I was pleasantly surprised by the op. Much better than I thought. Up and sitting in chair the next day and home the day after. Some ladies go home the next day even. I was uncomfortable for a few days but painkillers help. The pain felt a bit like period pain, nothing worse for me. I had laparoscopic robotic surgery so that makes recovery quicker. I was grade 1b and stage 2 but my post surgery analysis showed some cancer cells had moved from my womb. I am learning more and more each day but still can't quite believe this has happened. The Macmillan nurses are lovely and there if you need questions answering. 

Take care.

• Stage 1b and grade 2.

I keep getting stage and grade the wrong way round!

•   

Wishing you all the best for Monday. It will all be over before you know. Have a restful rest of the weekend.

• Hi ChellyD, welcome to the group and all the best for Monday! I had my hysterectomy in January 2022 and at the time wrote a diary post every day. Here’s a link - it may help demystify it a bit community.macmillan.org.uk/.../hysterectomy-day-and-after---diary

• I had my hysterectomy on 18th September and came home lunchtime on19th…I’m recovering well but have a large haematoma by one of my wounds which is causing bleeding and is a bit annoying, hopefully it’s starting to improve now, I’m also dealing with a broken left arm at the same time so it’s a bit of a double whammy!

My results came back last week and were all good (i was treated for atypical hyperplasia (precancerous cells)) but histology came back as everything being normal, no hyperplasia, no cancer (40% of hyperplasia cases show cancer upon biopsy of womb etc once removed), obviously I was very pleased about that.

Wishing you well for your operation tomorrow and you recovery and any treatment afterwards x

• Hello Chelley

Welcome to the Online Community and Womb cancer forum. I am sorry to hear that you have had a diagnosis of endometrial cancer but know that there is a group of lovely ladies on here that will want to offer you support.

How you are feeling, as if just going through the motions - that is how I felt at the time of my diagnosis. I think sometimes its our way of coping at the time perhaps. I wasn't upset, angry or any of the other emotions that people think of. I just sort of went with the flow at the time and just accepted how I felt was normal for me. I did feel a bit nervous on the morning of the surgery but other than that was ok.

I felt more anxiety before I was diagnosed and when I was first seeing my consultant- but once I had that firm diagnosis and knew what I was dealing with and what needed to happen- I felt calm, like it was all a bit surreal. 

I hope that your hysterectomy goes well tomorrow. I am sure you will be well looked after at your hospital. I found the surgery was pretty straightforward, I had very little pain and recovered well from it. 

If there is anything you need, please do ask though. 

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi CheryD I know how you feeling I was the same not angry not emotional stunned more than anything although I’m an newbie you brilliant feed back from this side and you don’t feel alone