Questions to ask

• 3 replies
  • 84 subscribers

Help please. Brain is addled. What are the sensible questions I should ask when the oncologist is discussing my treatment plan? I can only think of is :Is this curable or treatable? And: what are the treatment options. My hubbie will be as addled as I am so would like to go in with a written list of questions so that we do not forget. Thank you.

• Hi Princess Xena

I wrote a list and this helped me as my mind always goes a bit blank in such circumstances.

Things I would think about asking are..........

- What stage do they think it is? 

-Is it contained in the womb or spread outside?

-What grade do they think it is?

-What are the chances of recurrence?

-is surgery an option and if so would it be keyhole or open surgery- and why?

-How long will I be in hospital?

- How long is my recovery expected to be? What can I do and what do I need to avoid.

-How much time will I need to be off work (if you work)

-When would surgery happen and is there anything you could do to prepare for it?

-if surgery is not an option- why?

-if it were a family member what would you be suggesting to them

-will I need or likely to need any treatment after surgery?

-would this likely be brachytherapy/external radiotherapy? What side effects would this have?

-is chemotherapy a possibility for me? What side effects would this have?

- How would the further treatment (if needed) help my chances of avoiding the cancer coming back?

-Who can I contact if I need to ask further questions after this meeting

-Do I need any further tests/pre med exams etc. 

After surgery will I need to wear the surgical socks at home and will I need to do anticoagulant injections myself.

-How long will the treatments last ?

-What monitoring will I have when treatment is finished?

-Is there any possibility of a family link and is there anything in my medical history that will affect my treatment/recovery?

These are just ideas but similar to what I asked myself. Hope it helps. Good Luck with your appointment.

Jane

-

-

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Jane, you have managed to crystallise all my jumbled thoughts and worries into a clear and rational list. You really are a wonder. Thank you so much.

• Take a list in- I have done several times and they were happy to answer one by one- it also puts the focus on what is important to you to know rather than them telling you what they think you want to hear. Good Luck

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm