Hi I am new here

• 3 replies
  • 88 subscribers

Hi I am struggling at the moment with not knowing! A month ago I went to the doctors with discomfort in my left groin area she gave me a quick examination on my tummy & said you are constipated. Three days later I rang doctors again & this time another doctor rang & lectured me on constipation. The following week I was still unhappy so chose to see another lady doctor & she did an internal exam & said  I can’t feel anything so I am not worried. I was still concerned so decided to go for a private ultrasound & transvaginal.

The results showed 2 small ovarian cysts & my endometrium 1.19cm. Doctor eventually referred me to a consultant. She is sending me for a hysteroscopy next week because she is not happy with the thickness. She was also very unhappy I have been on HRT for over 30 years, (went through early menopause),& told me to come off it immediately. At the hysteroscopy she is fitting me with a coil under general anaesthetic ( I have M.S) so legs are unpredictable.

I was so shocked I didn’t ask any relevant questions. If anyone could just share their experiences or give any useful advice I would be very grateful. I am anxious about the procedure & of course the results.

Many thanks 

• Hi again just written my post I meant to say I am 66 & still struggling with a few pains & feeling sick.

Thanks

• Hello Roberta57

Welcome to the Online Community. I am sorry to hear that you have been having symptoms that mean you are waiting for further tests and I remember what a worry that was. It must have been frustrating to have discomfort and having it put down to constipation. My only symptom of womb cancer was a sudden and heavy bleed which lead to me having the scans. The scans showed the issue.

Am sorry to hear that the scans you had showed 2 ovarian cysts and a thickened endometrium. I do not know about ovarian cysts as it is not something I have experienced but I would suggest talking to the doctor about what will happen with them.

With the thickened endometrium, there can be different reasons for this to happen and a hysteroscopy/biopsy would be the normal thing to happen as they can take a closer look and remove some cells for biopsy. A biopsy is the only way to know for sure what is happening. It would also be normal to tell you to come off HRT while you are having investigations as some cancers can be fed by the hormones. My own cancer was hormone positive. With the thickening, it can be caused by an imbalance in the hormones. 

Having a coil fitted is one treatment for hyperplasia (endometrial thickening). 

I will pop some links below that may be of help.

Hysteroscopy - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

Endometrial Hyperplasia: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment | Patient

I had my hysteroscopy/biopsy done as an outpatient and it was a fairly quick procedure. I had a bit of pain while it was being done- a bit like period cramps but it was over quickly. I did feel a bit light headed after it was done but the nurse made me a cup of tea with sugar and gave me a couple of biscuits and this helped. There will be some bleeding afterwards but for me it settled quickly. They give you pads at the hospital but they are quite basic ones and I suggest getting a pack of the ones for heavier flow/night time towels - I used Always Night time and they were about right. My results came back within a few days and I was phoned at home with the results. Some people have a letter and some people are given the choice to come in to discuss the results. 

We do have a Support Line on here and if you wanted to talk it through with someone then please do give it a call. The number is at the bottom and they are there from 8am-8pm.

Hope this helps a bit but if there is anything else you want to ask- then please do so.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hello Roberta57

i had a hysteroscopy & polypectomy done in June. I was very stressed and chocked too. I wasn’t able to asked any question before the procedure. As for Jane2511, mine was done as outpatient. I got in at 7pm and was released from the hospital around 11pm ( I had some high blood pressure so they kept me him a bit longer than expected). The nurses and gynaecologist were very nice. I told them I was anxious and they help calm me down.

The bleeding settled quickly as well after. I had a bit pain after the surgery but I had a polyp remove as well. I was given pain killers that night and I was told to take some the next day. It did help. I managed the next day with paracetamol and it was fine.

if you can, get someone to come with you that would be great. As it was a quick surgery my partner was able to stay. It was comforting to know he’ll be there after I woke up.
    I found the link about hysteroscopy very useful to understand what is happening to you and make it less scary. 

i spoke to a few friends before hand as well.

After the surgery I realised it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was gonna be. 

i hope you will be ok and that you will get your results soon xx