New here

• 7 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hi. I'm newly diagnosed with early stage cancer of the womb. I've had the MRI and CT scans since then and have a provisional date for a hysterectomy in a few weeks..

It's a bit of a shock and now feel I'm in limbo. I'd welcome any advice and tips, especially on the upcoming operation.

Thanks.

• Hello Caterpillar

Welcome to the Online Community.

I am sorry that you have had a diagnosis of womb cancer. It is good that you have got all the testing and scans out of the way and have a provisional date for the hysterectomy. 

Feeling in shock and in a bit of a limbo sounds exactly as I felt. if you click on my name you will see my profile. You might want to consider popping something on to yours and it stops you having to repeat yourself each time you post. Entirely up to you though.

I will pop a couple of links here for you to some information that I found helpful when I first had my diagnosis.

Womb cancer booklet | Macmillan Cancer Support

Hysterectomy for womb cancer | Macmillan Cancer Support

My hysterectomy was in April 2022 and it was done by key hole. I was home the next day with very little pain. After 3 1/2 weeks I received my post op histology results and they confirmed my actual stage and grade. For me this showed I needed further treatment. Some people do not. I was early stage but high grade. That is why I needed chemo and radiotherapy. 

After the hysterectomy you will need to take time to recover but I felt much better after the first 1-2 weeks. You just have to take it easy and not do too much. No lifting. No hoovering etc. No baths- just showers. Loose comfortable clothing is best as you may feel a bit tender around your tummy. I managed on occasional paracetamol. Big comfy knickers. I was walking around my garden comfortably within 24 hours of getting home. I was able to walk to the local corner shop by a week. (5 mins away) 

Hope this helps a bit but if you have any questions, please do ask. 

There is also a Support Line that you are welcome to call if you feel chatting it through with someone would help. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Welcome to the group Caterpillar! And well done for getting this far with all the tests, waiting, scans, waiting etc! When is your date? I got my date three weeks beforehand. I had my op in January 2022 and wrote a diary thread starting when I went in. Mine was laparoscopic and I had it done at Southampton. I was up and about at 6.30am the next morning as soon as my catheter was out; I went home at about 2.30pm and, almost as soon as I got home, I went for a gentle 5 minute stroll near where I live. I had hated being cooped up inside for 32 hours and wanted some fresh air!  I was determined to get into the routine right away and after that did a 5 minute walk twice a day for a few days then gradually increased one of them to 10 mins, then the other, until by 2 weeks post op I was up to 30-45 minutes total per day. Yes I was active quickly, but I also rested a lot. I listened to my body and that went both ways - sometimes it meant doing a bit more and sometimes it meant putting my feet up and resting.

In case you’re interested, here’s a link to the diary thread I wrote. Also, if you click on my name, you will be able to read my story.

community.macmillan.org.uk/.../hysterectomy-day-and-after---diary

• I almost forgot - here also is a thread with suggestions of what to pack. For me, the most important things were my own pillow and snacks! 

community.macmillan.org.uk/.../what-to-take-in-my-overnight-bag

• Thanks Jane. This is really helpful. I've just bought the big comfy knickers!

• Thanks. I think my hysterectomy is going to be a total one including ovaries and fallopian tubes so am assuming a slightly longer stay in hospital. I won't know for sure until the consultant gets back to me with the results of the scans..

And I'll read your diary. What a good idea.

• Hi Caterpillar

I had a total hysterectomy with ovaries/fallopian tubes/cervix taken out and was back on the ward early evening. I was discharged the following am and after a wait for paperwork/meds, I was home early afternoon.

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Caterpillar, my hysterectomy was total including ovaries and fallopian tubes too. Done laparoscopically and home the next day - my consultant was planning to introduce home same day procedures. The only thing that would make it a longer stay s if it was open surgery (a vertical incision) or any complications to the op.