New here so 'hello'!

• 4 replies
  • 88 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I received a stage 1 diagnosis.

I'm 53 and started having black blood at the start of my periods and more painful ones too a few years ago, I put it down to peri menopause. My Doctor recommended getting it checked out though so I had an ultrasound which showed fibroids/polyps but they weren't worried, still I went for a hysteroscopy under local which did not work so I was sent to have it done under general. Again, the Dr who performed the surgery wasn't worried but said they'd get tested along with a biopsy as standard procedure.

Unfortunately it came back with abnormal and some possible cancer cells, fortunately they say stage 1 and hopefully fully treatable. 

Tomorrow I have my CT and MRI scans and then they can book me in for a hysterectomy.

I'm not normally a worrier but since they called at the weekend to say I needed to come in because all was not well, I have found myself obsessing at every little twinge in my body. It doesn't help that I'm due on at the moment so getting premenstral bloating. I'm guessing that that is normal and that having a full body ct scan will show up anything else?

Anyway, I've already read through quite a few posts and found them helpful. I tend to be a lurker and not much of a joiner in but I though in this case I'd say hi and say a little about my experience as maybe it'll help me and maybe it'll help someone else!

• Hi robot and welcome to the group! Finally a person who can’t tick the “I’m not a robot” thing seen so often on internet sites! Hahaha

i can remember the shock it was when I was told I had cancer back in November 2021. The memory of the phone call is etched on my brain. I can also remember the aftermath too, the wondering and worrying and trying to get a handle on it all. 20 months down the line (click on my name if you’d like to read my story) I’ve had my hysterectomy, had radiotherapy and brachytherapy (which I wasn’t expecting at all), feel like I’ve mostly got my old self back, still wonder/worry a bit about any little symptoms that pop up, but no signs of any recurrence and I’m getting on with life. Please feel free to ask away with any questions you may have - I did a day by day diary thread when I had my hysterectomy and after, so I could post the link for you if you wanted?

• Hello Robotxxx

Welcome to the Online Community. I was also a lurker to begin with! but it does help reading about others experiences. And you posting will help others, I am sure.

I am sorry that you have had a diagnosis of Womb cancer but it is reassuring that they feel it is a Stage 1. I hope that your scans goes ok and that you can be given a date for your hysterectomy quickly. I found my hysterectomy was fairly straight forward. I did not have much pain at all and recovery went well. I was home within 24 hours of surgery.

I think it is normal to be more aware of any twinges and any feelings in your body. I still am and I don't think that goes away. You are right in that the CT scan is done to look to see if there is any spread or anything else to be aware of before the surgery. My surgeon also said it helps them to know where everything is inside and how best to plan the operation. 

I will pop a link here to a booklet that I found helpful when I was first diagnosed.

Womb cancer booklet | Macmillan Cancer Support

If there is anything else we can do to support you please just ask

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you both for your kind words. It really does help to know you’re not the only one. I’ve just had my ct scan and am sat waiting to go in for the mri. It’s all moving very quickly which is great. 

• I know that I found it so comforting to realise that I was not the only one going through this experience. My journey took a little longer as my surgeon did a laparoscopic exploratory surgery to have a good look around before the actual procedure. 

Even if you decide to lurk we are always here to provide support. It’s amazing what virtual handholding can do