Hi Everyone.

• 14 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Hi there, 

I've joined this group because I've been referred to a grace centre for suspected womb cancer. I read the letter referring me and got well and truly scared. The doctor does think I have cancer. So it's the unknown that frightens me. I've had the transvaginal scan and that said that my lining was 8mm so something is definitely wrong. It's the other tests, surgery and other treatments that is making me panic. My mother had breast cancer and I saw what the treatments did to her. 

I would just like to know how long I'd be in hospital in case I have to have a hysterectomy etc. 

Thanks.

• My womb lining was approx 8mm when I last had an ultrasound, hysteroscopy revealed polyps, these were removed and one was found to contain pre cancerous cells (atypia hyperplasia) womb biopsies at the the time were normal. I’m postmenopausal so they have recommended a hysterectomy which is booked for 18th September, I’ve been told to expect an overnight stay if it’s done by keyhole, or 2-3 days if it’s abdominal surgery.

My first experience back 8n 2019 all my biopsies were clear, so don’t think just because your womb lining is a bit thicker than it should be that it automatically means cancer. Fibroids, polyps etc could be the reason.

Hope everything comes back normal for you x

• Thank you so much, I feel better reading this, just one question do the biopsies hurt ? Will I have to take painkillers etc. This is so new to me. Also do they do anything on your first appointment, or do you have to go back and have things done another time.

Thanks. X

• Hi, welcome to this group. It's understandable that you are concerned about your situation and anxious about the unknown. In my case I was referred by my GP surgery for the transvaginal scan. On the same day I saw the consultant who took some biopsies. She kindly used some local anaesthetic gel so the process wasn't too uncomfortable. A week later I saw her again and she confirmed I had endometrial cancer. Soon after that I had an MRI and CT scan and shortly afterwards I saw the surgeon. I subsequently had an abdominal hysterectomy - I also had fibroids as well as cancer - so had a 3 night stay in hospital. Despite this I didn't have a lot of pain after the operation, just felt a bit uncomfortable. Different hospitals often have different approaches and timelines in terms of diagnostic tests. As Duffers Mum has said there could be other reasons why your lining is slightly thicker so try not to look too far ahead at this stage. Take care.

• I had no problem with any of my biopsies, and I’ve had a fair few back in 2019 and this year…but many women find them painful…I actually have a low pain threshold so still can’t understand why I don’t find them particularly painful but we are all different, they often recommend taking paracetamol and/or ibuprofen but I didn’t bother..it’s over and done with fairly quickly x

• All hospitals seem to have different ways of doing things..in 2019 I had a scan, then I had a biopsy taken a couple of weeks later, then I had the camera (hysteroscopy) where polyps were found, they couldn’t be removed as an outpatient so I went in and had them removed under a general.

This year, I had a scan, then a hysteroscopy where they took a biopsy, polyps found again and these were removed as an outpatient with the Myosure procedure (similar to hysteroscopy)…

Some hospitals do everything they can on one visit, so scan, hysteroscopy and biopsy but others are like my hosptial which drags things out and then you have the wait for biopsy results

I had another biopsy taken when they put the mirena coil in 5 weeks ago and still not had the results, they are on the consultants desk awaiting signature but of course consultants are on strike this week and my consultant usually does his admin on a Friday so I will probably have to wait another week…the biopsy before I also had to wait almost 6 weeks for the results..prior to that I’d usually had results in 2-3 weeks.

• Hi Destiny196833

Is there a phone number on your appointments letter that you could call to check what they are planning to do in your appointment?

I found that my hospital did give me advanced warning of any invasive investigations that could cause need for standard over counter pain relief.

In my case I had gynae consultant meeting, then booked in for ultrasound + TV on another day. Due the scan findings, I was then asked to go to a different clinic on a different day for hysteroscopy and biospies were taken at this stage.

On the day of the hysteroscopy, the surgeon did a 1-1 consultation to explain everything and gave me chance to ask questions. He did this both before and again after the hysteroscopy, which I found very impressive.

Depending on your age and findings, hysterectomy may not always be the preferred initial treatment route.

• Hi, thanks all for replying to my post, seems like I'm in the right place for advice and support. But now I have a problem because I've found my scan results and eeerrr that's made me a bit scared. Apperantly I have a mass occupying the anterior myometrium, whatever that means ? They even have the size it measures 63×47×55mm is that big, I havent any idea. My age is 54 by the way and I'm postmenopausal.
    • Hopefully they will sort it out soon.
  • Sorry I hit the wrong button and reported myself lol. 

• I’m no doctor and there are ladies here who know much more than me, but could it possibly be a fibroid?

• Hi love, 

I’m on here at the moment to ask advice as I’m just one step beyond where you are and I have just seen your post.

Just wanted to say that the biopsy is totally fine. Please do not worry. I hadn’t realised I would be having it until when I saw my consultant on the day, done there and then with me looking at ceiling and thinking about anything but my nether regions! 
    Just like a smear, it’s going to be more uncomfortable if you tense up. Whatever you have to think about to get you through, do it. I’m on naproxen and zapain for pain at the minute so maybe this helped but I honestly think, have the mindset that this is going to be one more step to making you better. 
    Let me know how you went on. I know some women have differing experiences of a biopsy due to age and other reasons but this is v v rare. Get it done and you’ll be so proud of yourself x