Awaiting further tests

• 4 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hello everyone! 
I’m new here and just looking through the forum as I’m scared witless!!….. I’ve had abnormal bleeding for over a week off & on plus cramping, increased pain down my right leg and feeling very overwhelmed…… very grateful to have been able to see a Gynaecologist very quickly and got an ultrasound scan 3 days later…. I’m 51 and post menopausal after an endometrial ablation sent me into menopause 6yrs ago. The scan result came back today & has shown up a slight thickening (of 4mm) of the womb lining plus a dark lesion containing a fibroid/ polyp and “sinister pathology can’t be ruled out” plus benign cysts in both ovaries which I also believe is not good post menopause…. I’m bracing myself for bad news….. I now have to have further tests and a biopsy via my belly button; at best I think I’ll be offered a full hysterectomy anyhow as the ablation has failed as the fibroids are regrowing and the cysts will need regular monitoring otherwise. How long after diagnosis was it before you all had hysterectomy procedures? I’m finding it all snowballing at such a fast pace and struggling with my emotions about it all & how to manage talking to my teens about it all (age 18 and 14)….

• Hello KizUnn

Welcome to the Online Community.

I am sorry to see that you have had these symptoms and that you now need to have further testing. I can understand how scary it feels. I was in the same position in March last year. 

With me , I had a bleed in March and then had tests ( if you click on my name it will show you my bio with timescales) and I had a hysterectomy 4 weeks later. It does all seem to go very fast when they make a diagnosis. I understand the snow balling feeling. 

It is natural to feel that everything is a bit out of control and to struggle with your emotions. There are a lot of lovely ladies on here who understand that because they have been there. The waiting for a diagnosis, whether it turns out to be cancer or a non cancerous cause is really hard. Once I had a diagnosis and knew what was going to happen I did feel a bit better and knowing there was a plan ahead helped me feel more in control. The biopsy is the only way of telling for sure what you are dealing with. 

I can understand that talking to your children is hard but as teenagers they probably have already noticed something is happening? With my family- I told them that I had been to hospital as had had a bleed and that I was on the 2 week referral. It gave everybody a bit of time to process that it may be cancer. It felt a bit easier then when I had to tell them when I got the diagnosis. 

I hope that you do not have to wait too long to have your biopsy. In the meantime if there is anything that we can do to support you, please just ask. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hello KizUnn,

Welcome, this forum is full of amazing and kind people, they will be like a virtual cheerleaders squad! I remember my first post, it scared me silly!

I was diagnosed in October 22. I've had a lot of waiting around but still feel like I've had a rapid and sometime scary journey so far. I'm now beginning to get a grip of things and build a better understanding of what is going on.

I too have two teenage kids (14 and 18). They had witnessed the pain I'd been in for a fair while before diagnosis. When the diagnosis came it was right for me to explain what I had been told. I asked them what they wanted to know, bare minimum, highlights or everything I knew. They wanted everything...I would wait with updates though, until I'd got my head around it. They have been amazing, a great support and leveller. Their school have also been brilliant.

But, you know your kids and what they need. I have started trying to 'normalise' what I have (my profile details ALL of it), take the scare out of a bloody scary thing! 

It is amazing what you can cope/deal with. I have shocked myself. The circle of support I have has kept me afloat and allowed me to crawl out of the despair if I fall a bit. There is so much out there too, it took me ages to find it. This site is brilliant, there are lots of people with great links etc. 

This week I have spoken with a nurse from a charity called the Eve Appeal, she was great. She sent me a link to a charity called Peaches, which is focused on womb cancer. I can share if that is allowed???

I hope you get the information you need soon, just reach back out here if you need too. We are a pretty cool bunch!

Best wishes 

Jo

X

• Hi Jo

I tended to stick with Macmillan but I did have a look at the 2 that you mention when I first had my diagnosis. I will put the links here for  

Home - Peaches Trust

Home | Gynaecological Cancer Research Charity | The Eve Appeal

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Kizunn,

Welcome to the group, you will find no end of good advice and support here as I have.

Sorry to see you are going through this, the unknown can be scary.  I was originally diagnosed with polyps and sent for hysteroscopy to confirm / remove.  I was advised part way through that I would need to go under GA for this as there were more than expected.  10 days after this I got a call to see the gynaecologist and was advised that they had found cancer.  

From there I had my hysterectomy 6 weeks later after having MRI & CT scans and appointments with consultant to discuss.  I am now 4 wks post op and recovering well from the surgery.  It does all feel like a whirlwind but there are times when you are waiting that it feels like a drag.  

I have a 16 yr old grandson who so far only knows I have had an operation for 'womens problems' as we wanted him to complete his exams and holiday with school friends without the cancer cloud floating overhead.  Now I have had my results back we will be informing him fully this weekend.  

The macmillan site has lots of booklets on-line and one of these covers discussing cancer with teens and children so this may be worth reading.

It looks like you are expecting to have a hysterectomy regardless of tests, so I am hoping that they all come back with favourable results. It is possible this is not cancer and I will keep fingers crossed for you.

Jules