Hello I'm new

• 9 replies
  • 88 subscribers

Hello

57 Yr old. No period for 6 yrs. 

I woke up Monday night gushing with blood. Saw GP next day, couple of calls with her, as bleeding is extremely heavy with clots, pain in lower abdomen.

Hospital just called me to say i have an apt next Saturday (11th Feb) for a normal scan, then transvaginal ultrasound then a hysteroscopy then consultant for an internal & results. 

Previous to this I've had no problems apart from blood in urine before Xmas which I was given antibiotics for (although urine test was clear of infection) so wondered if that could have been related?

Bit worried obviously as they told me what they are looking for x 

1. Hallo Jayne, and welcome to the group. You will have been put on the two week pathway which is standard for investigations where gynae cancer is a possibility and that’s why things are happening so quickly. I know it’s all extremely scary, but until you have the actual diagnosis it’s not definite, and there are other things it could be. The waiting and wondering is awful and very difficult, but I’d encourage you to try and just deal with each day, and to focus on what is known at that time, and to trust your medical team. Try not to assume that something must really be wrong because of the bleeding and pain - I had no bleeding or pain when I was diagnosed. The result of the ultrasound and trans vaginal scan will determine whether or not you need a hysteroscopy. We’re here to chat and support you if you need us, 
  • Welcome Jayne as MarmiteFan59 has said the two week pathway is standard for such investigations and there are other things aside from cancer that it could be.

I had no symptoms prior to finding a little blood when I wiped myself after peeing. It happened twice and I rang my GP. After examination I was put on the two week path and had the transvaginal ultrasound followed a couple of weeks later by a hysteroscopy where a polyp was found and removed. A couple of weeks later I was given a MRI and then had face to face with gynaecologist who broke the news of womb cancer and referred to gynea-oncology surgeon. Still that period of not knowing was awful. That’s when I joined this community. 

So could well be that the blood in your urine was an early indication especially as tested clear of infection (my urine tested clear of infection and blood which is why GP referred me to the 2 week path).

it can be very worrying during this period of not knowing. I know that once I received my diagnosis I actually found myself quite calm. I asked my Macmillan nurse about this and she said that yes often it was the uncertainty that caused the most anxiety. 

• Thank you for your reply x I feel calmer today after the hospital called me I think I was a little shocked, but at least I am being checked so just keep my mind busy until my apt. Hubby has cancer so it's all a little overwhelming but we are both positive people x

• Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I'm calmer today, just think I was a little shocked yesterday after the hospital called me. GP is very supportive & helpful so very grateful. Will keep my mind busy this week & see what Saturday brings & go from there. Thank you x

• Thanks for this post Marmite. I had a ferritin level of 8 (iron deficiency anemia) over the summer and heavy menstruation my entire life, but my bleeding worsened over the past few years. This is my first visit to an online support group and my first post.  I just wanted to thank you for acknowledging the “waiting and wondering”.  This is the phase I am in right now (and may be in for sometime as I go through this process). To be honest, I haven’t been officially diagnosed yet. But I’ve been referred to a gynecological oncologist. I handled it rather well for the past week, and today it hit me that I very likely have cancer. I have higher than normal HE4 and ROMA lab tests. I am 40 years old. I never married nor had a kid. I’ve never had a fulfilling career.  I’m not as scared of dying so much as having to live the rest of my life with extreme inconvenience and discomfort after being surgically disfigured inside, not to mention the hormone changes and mood concerns of an early and hasty menopause. The perpetual trips to the hospital. I don’t know who to talk to about this because I only get so many therapy appointments with my insurance and I feel like I will resent a therapist if I start feeling better and then realize I can’t afford to continue.  

Jayne, I had a urine test come up positive for blood, as well. Oddly, my main symptoms are frequent urination, depression, and fatigue.  I got the oncologist referral because I was supposed to get a hysteroscopic polypectomy and a D&C last week, but my pre-op tumor markers lab test came back positive.  I’m scared the oncologist will want me to undergo a painful outpatient biopsy of my uterine lining, whereas I would rather be knocked out more than once.  I’m just so irritated because what if I could have prevented this by not being sexually active and steering clear of potential infections.  What if a pelvic infection caused this?  No one in my family has any pelvic or gynecological cancers. Why me?  And the doctors always have this perfect way of blaming you. I already anticipate asking about the risk factors for getting cancer and hearing “never having children” and “obesity”.  

My last primary NP was giving me the results of my mammogram being suspicious for cancer. When he finished I said I had been meaning to tell him I have flank or side/back pain that never seems to quite go away. He told me that was irrelevant and we were only meeting to discuss my mammogram results. Now months later I’m finally getting the correct referral. After meeting with two different gynecology providers who both assured me my polyp wouldn’t be cancerous and my tumor markers would be negative. Don’t they know by now not to assume because every body is different?  And I’m an American writing on what I believe is a UK chat group because the second I tell anyone beyond my outside family everything changes. It will spread like wildfire and I will become “that cancer person” instead of me.  I want to be like Norm McDonald and keep the news to my inner core group as long as I can.  I’ll be so sad if I turn into a Tim Burton character living to an old age. I don’t want to watch my core group pass away, selfishly I would rather they watch me.  I want to say goodbye if I’m approaching my time and not linger in this in between state - between misery and a fear of pain.  (Sorry, you’re witnessing my depression symptom).  In all seriousness though, I appreciate having places like this to go to. Even if mostly no one responds, and even if my thoughts are all over the place.  It allows me to keep a “journal” when I obviously need someone to talk to, but no one really wants to hear all this. And we know it. So we type it instead of driving our loved ones crazy. Mine are too busy listening to the Bonnie Raitt song “Just like that” and crying. Though I’m pretty sure they’re just huge Bonnie fans and not inserting me into that scenario yet. Although, “just like that”, I got an oncology referral. It’s my birthday and I’ve been singing “Happy oncology referral to me” in my head. It was funnier last week. This week I’m feeling sorry for myself. 

• Hello Desert. I'm just popping by and I can't stay long today as I have work later, but I want to reply as it sounds like you are having lots of stress at the moment. First, OK, try not to get ahead of yourself. Take it one step at a time. See what they say at each step. Things may not be as bad as you are anticipating. I took a notebook and pencil to my appointments, I noted down what I was told so I could read it again later, and in-between times if I thought of any questions I wrote them in my notebook to ask at the next appointment.

If you need to have a hysteroscopy, ask in advance about pain-relief or anaesthesia. Surely the doctor will not want you to suffer if they can provide something to help. Some women find hysteroscopy tolerable and some do not. It is not a competition. If you find it difficult - it is not your fault!

And please don't start wondering Why Cancer and blaming yourself. I have been there! I was an unlikely candidate for the cancer I had, so I will probably never really know why it happened. I had endometrial cancer diagnosed in 2017, I had surgery to remove womb, cervix, ovaries and fallopian tubes, and I regard myself as (eventually) back to me again. It wasn't a walk in the park... I worked hard to get fit again... but here I am and, hopefully, in a little while, you will be feeling OK like I am too. I expect other ladies on the forum will be along here soon to advise you too. Good luck now, and please don't feel down. LR.

• Thank you, LR. I really appreciate hearing a story from someone who has come out the other side and is still productive and inspiring others!!  And it helps to know that even the “runners” may Runnerme themselves when this happens. We all know that as much as we want to pin point the root cause of a problem, there are plenty of thin people who eat right, exercise, and get diagnosed with thRunnercancer.  And you’re right, at the moment everything is one big question mark. I’m still going to prepare by typing up a list of questions to bring with me to the doctor’s office, but aside from that, I have zero answers right now. Keep on Runner Purple heart Runner‍♀️ 

• Update: just back from hospital, had transvaginal scan & hysteroscopy. They said I have endometrial hyperplasia with a womb full of polyps. Taken some for biopsy. Fitted progesterone coil as she said that would help & if pre cancerous this is what they would do anyway. Results in 4 weeks. 

• Thanks for the update Jayne. Thinking of you as you wait for the results.