Hello, I'm new

• 13 replies
  • 89 subscribers

Hello, I've lurking for a few days, plucking up the courage to join. I'm 9 years post-menopausal, on HRT and had quite a heavy bleed 3 weeks ago, where I flooded for a couple of days in the middle of a 10 day bleed. A bit of a shock as I've had no spotting/bleeding for 9 years. Before this, I had noticed a couple of times staining on pants and a bit if pink on tissue, but had put it down to IBS. I sent an econsult to Dr's as was a bit concerned with the amount of blood and especially as it went through ST and clothes. I had a phonecall from Dr saying probably just hormones, but she would put me in 2ww as needed to be checked. Next morning got phonecall booking me in for an internal scan. Went for scan, thinking they would say all normal, just HRT, but sonographer said lining was thicker than it should be and there was an area of concern, so needed to be booked an appointment with consultant. They had no appointments, but receptionist said that they would find an appointment and let me know. Next day got phonecall saying I have been booked in next week. I said this is for a consultant appointment? Receptionist went silent then said, it's a hysteroscopy and consultant appointment, told me to take painkillers an hour before i come and to bring somone with me.Got of phone, googled hysterscopy and now I'm worried! I'm worried it's going to be too painful! I thought I had a high pain threshold, but the internal scan was really uncomfortable (I remember having one 15 years ago and was fine, so was surprised how uncomfortable it was this time). I also have a prolapse (bladder) which has got worse, which probably didn't help with scan. So now I'm worrying about whether the hysteroscopy will be to painful and what the area of concern the sonographer was talking about. Sorry, big ramble, haven't talked to anyone about these test as so near to Christmas and don't want to worry anyone unnecessarily!

• Hello- a worrying time for you just before Christmas. I didn't have a hysteroscopy technically as went straight to having a biopsy. From what I understand because something was seen on my ultrasound they went straight to taking a biopsy. It wasn't pleasant but it was managable and the two nurses were lovely and explained what was happening. I took pain killers before the procedure. I had a quick internal so the nurse could feel the position of my womb. Then a speculum was used. The uncomfortable bit was when the instrument was pushed through my cervix but it took seconds. I did bleed a fair amount so take a couple of pads with you. After the procedure I did feel a bit lightheaded but was able to go home within 30 mins. I took paracetamol for a couple of days but otherwise was fine. Although the news was not good it felt better to know what I was dealing with and what treatment I would need. My first symptoms of a bleed was March, I had a hysterectomy in April. Chemotherapy was May-August and Radiotherapy was Aug/Sept- external- I had the chemo and radiotherapy to be on the safe side.

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Daffodil, welcome to the group! You have two choices: you can attend your hysteroscopy appointment and try it and see how it goes, and if it’s too painful you can ask them to stop and refer you for one under general anaesthetic, OR you can attend your hysteroscopy appointment and ask straight away to be referred for one under general anaesthetic. I did the former, took pain relief, was fully prepared, and the consultant was kind, gentle, caring and brilliant - but it became too painful and he was unwilling to continue. So it failed and I was referred for one under general - which meant waiting another few weeks  but it was a breeze and was fine. 

• Thank you for the input. I think I'll take painkillers and give it a go, take,  as I don't want to be  worrying for a few more weeks waiting to have procedure under ga. I'm already stressing about it, so just want it done. Haven't told family, but they've all noticed I'm stressy as I've spring cleaned the house!

• Hi Daffodil55. I agree with MarmiteFan59's advice. If you find it horrible then ask about anaesthetic. Then again, you might find that it goes ok for you. I hope so. There is always someone on here to chat to anyway. Spring cleaning is a really good way to deal with stress. I often attack the cleaning when I am really wound up about something.Good luck with everything. LR.

• Hello Daffodil55 

Welcome. You have done absolutely the right thing by joining us. No one will bother you if you don't want to post anything but you will sure get replies if you do reach out for advice or experience of others going through the same. 

So my experience of hysteroscopy was November last year after internal scan showed abnormalities. I had never even heard of the word and didn't know what to expect. For me, it was a bit uncomfortable and a bit of pain when they tried to numb the cervix but afterwards it was ok and there was a nurse trying to talk to me and distract me. 

If I had known I would have taken ibuprofen or paracetamol but don't think I took anything. My  memory of other members on here posting their experiences, it does seem maybe the ones who find the most difficulty are ladies who have not had a vaginal birth???

I had 3 children delivered vaginally and still felt the discomfort and some pain but it was doable, I just grit my teeth and let them get on with it as I knew it would soon be over, like you I wanted answers. the doctor advised me straightaway that there was thickening of the lining of the uterus and a large polyp which he was trying to remove but couldn't and advised me he was taking samples of both the lining and polyp for examination. When I got off the treatment couch I noticed quite a lot of blood , there was another little dressing room  toilet where I was ushered into to clean up  I put a sanitary pad on got dressed and doctor spoke to me reiterated what he had already said, but also did say he couldn't see anything too concerning?  I was told I would get results by post and should allow up to 4 weeks. 

A week after the hysteroscopy I got a phone call from the CNS to arrange an appointment to come and speak to the doctor, by this time I knew it was not the news I had hoped for. 

I understand you just want it out of the way and it may be it will go ahead as planned but like others have mentioned if you are in too much pain, then it may need to be done under general anaesthetic. I wish you well with this and hopefully you can find some peace over this Christmastime. Take care and remember we are here for you xx

Madesp 
  • Mad, for what it’s worth, I took pain relief beforehand, didn’t even feel the local anaesthetic injection into my cervix, wasn’t bothered by the speculum (unusual for me), and, at the consultant’s invitation, watched on a monitor to see what he was doing with the camera and what he was seeing. I watched him try to get the camera through my cervix and the resistance that was there. Post menopausal women can develop a stenosed cervix and that is the main reason for discomfort and/or pain. I’ve had two children, the first by C section and the second vaginally, but that didn’t make any difference. I also apparently had a small uterus (so my surgeon told me at my last appointment before my op) - I don’t know if that is at all relevant. 

• That's really interesting, I've also had 3 children, all virginally too. I do suffer with dryness/soreness because of menopause and my gp as recommended I use vaginal oestrogen to make examination easier, so fingers crossed!

Also, I'm bleeding on and off at the moment, will they still be able to do the procedure if I'm bleeding next Wednesday?

Really need to get to the bottom of this as getting quite a bit of period type pain too!

• I'm pretty sure they will carry on the procedure if you are bleeding as you will bleed after anyway. I still had a bloody discharge when they performed mine.Also I think they rinse out the uterus with saline but not 100% sure if this is fir everyone.... Fingers crossed for you x

Madesp 
  • Hi Daffodil,

Welcome to the group and well done for posting. I know you are worried but remember that you have some control and that if it is too painful, let them know and they will stop. I had post menopausal bleeding and pain and had a vaginal ultrasound and the radiologist was very gentle. The Consultant will chat to you before the procedure, let him know your concerns. These type of appointments are not easy and are worrying but try to remember that health staff are there to help and be guided by you. Best wishes for your tests,

A x

• Hi @daffodil55 . Sorry you've had to deal with this in the run up to Christmas. I have had one hysteroscopy with just a very small scope (that was fine but they didn't have the right kit to take a sample) and a failed hysteroscopy (they couldn't get access at all - I have had no children but even the smallest scope wouldn't work that day). I ended up having another under general anaesthetic as a day case. I just want to reassure you if they can't do it they will be able to stop and have one rearranged for another time - you're in control at any time.