Loosing control of your own feelings

• 8 replies
  • 85 subscribers

I had my surgery  Monday took nearly 4.5 hours so my insides definitely pulled about. I cant seem to control my emotions now and feel I have lost control of how I feel as all I'm hearing is you shouldn't be feeling this tou should do this  its not pain it's only wind. We're not all the same  but they smile politely but I don't think k they understand 

Anyone else feel like this

• First of all I would like to wish you well in your recovery. I am now exactly 2 weeks post-op. and most days feel pretty good, although I can still feel a few twinges now and then. However, whatever you are feeling is right for you. Who is telling you otherwise? If you are in pain make sure you take regular pain relief if you are able, don't wait for the pain to get really bad. If you feel weepy - have a little cry; if you are tired - have a little nap. I was feeling quite positive initially and not in as much pain as I feared I would be but agree wind can be a problem which definitely does add a level of discomfort (peppermint tea helped me). I took paracetamol for the first 4 - 5 days throughout the day then just at night for another few days before stopping them completely. This past weekend though my mood took a bit of a dive as I think it hit me what I have been through. From diagnosis to operation was quite a whirlwind, and I did my usual deflection method of being busy arranging things in the house (food etc.) as I live alone, which meant that although I was scared at times I didn't have much time to think about it. I'm in a better frame of mind again now although am a bit nervous about the histology results and I am looking forward to Christmas. I do feel bouts of tiredness still, although I am 67 so it could be that as much as anything, but have decided that it's ok to have a little doze on the sofa. No-one else can tell you how you should or shouldn't feel. I do look at the chart which gives some guidelines to recovery but I know that is based on averages and depends on all sorts of things - level of fitness beforehand (I was definitely unfit); other pre-existing conditions; age; personality type; etc. etc. Do you have a Macmillan nurse you could ring and vent to, or check any symptoms you may be worried about? Just remember your body (and mind to a certain extent) has been through a major trauma and you need time for both to recover. Good luck.

• Thank you for your lovely reply. I think we're  both in the  same boat. 69 and live alone, and most definitely been a whirlwind, went to gp on 15 Sept and after all test and 2 iron infusions had opp on Monday.  It only started to hit me on Sunday when I took my cat to cattery   he. Didn't want to go and I didn't want.to take, but needs must. I do have a macmillan nurse and she's visited a couple of times. It doesn't help that the ward I'm on doesn't allow visitors  so I've never felt so alone even during 2 years of isolation during covid lockdown didn't feel as.bad. as this, then I had my cat and tv to keep me company.  I've had a few crys and even woke up crying this morning.  I know everyone mean we'll with their comments but ones mind doesn't see it that well.

Hope your recovering is going OK and you don't have to wait too long for further results.

I'm looking at it that I'm now In stage 3.

1 being the test

2 surgery 

3 recovery pending results 

4 if further treatment is needed

I think I will be in need of radiotherapy but type and.lenght are dependent on the results.

Thank you it has helped alot knowing that I'm not alone. Xx

• Oh bless you! I have a cat too - adopted 2 years ago from Cat's Protection. He has always been very stand-offish but luckily because I was only in hospital for a couple of days my daughter visited to feed him twice a day. Suddenly he has become very affectionate though and whilst I really love it, I am very wary of him jumping on my abdomen. 

The ward I was on (Northampton General) didn't allow visitors either but to be honest I didn't really want any - I think mainly because I would have felt it necessary to be upbeat and chatty with them and I was so tired. I did chat to the other women but as we were all in the same boat it was a lot easier. Then when I was discharged after 48 hours (I had a laparoscopy operation but with an abdominal incision to remove the uterus) I was so glad to be home although part of me was terrified I was going to fall over, or my insides would fall out of me - I have an very over-active imagination! I also have an auto-immune condition (myasthenia gravis) which can cause muscle fatigue amongst other things so I have to try to work out if it is that or the operation that gives me my tiredness and twinges. I actually am quite an independent  and solitary person by choice and covid lockdown was easy for me. However, this is another "thing" to get used to, and I do feel as if any control I thought I had over my life has been taken away. However I am also quite stubborn so I do try to look ahead and be glad that this cancer was found (quite by chance in my case) and I have every chance of getting back to normal soon. I agree though that the mind can sometimes run away with itself but I think it's natural in the circumstances.

• How strange  I'm in Northampton as well. Spencer Blue. Had 1st night in CCU.

Also had lasparoscopy, and had everything removed, womb, tubes, uterus and i. believe ovaries as well.

My cat is always affectionate but has got more so from just before I got diagnosed.  The last week he spent night sleeping on top of me and during day on my chest head nestling under chin all very nice except for his claws holding on to my arm.  I will have ro be careful of him when I get him home aa he has a dendenxy to jump then slip putting his claws in to stop him self. I'm covered with scratches and claw marks.

Had a visit this afternoon to eye casualty as I came out of theatre with a sore weeping wye with blurred vision, its slowly improving. 

My cat came from friends daughter as her landlord would t allow her to keep it   he was 8months old when I got.him in 2011, so hes getting old, he's a black Burmese called Bruno. Xx

• I was on Spencer too. I had an ITU bed booked for post op as the myasthenia can affect breathing but thankfully didn't need it, and had everything taken away. Do you you live in Northampton too? I am in Parklands. My cat is called Smiffy (from the Bash Street kids in the Beano comic) but he is just a plain old moggy. Very handsome though and very vocal. 

• I'm from Milton Keynes but got referred to Northampton once the MRI showed I had stage 1b. With cancer going through the wall and could affect the lymph nodes and MK don't do that surgery. However In the end the anesthetist said he would allow the longer surgery due my other health issues and because I've already got lyphodemea in the legs. So have to wait for the results to see if I need radiotherapy.  I was also told even if they did take the nodes out I may still need radiotherapy  so made sense to leave them be.

One of benefits of coming to Northampton. Is that most units have blue badges Spaces outside, where as mk they are in the multistory with only benefit being the   bigger space.  Down fall of being Northampton is the distance and the need to leave at 6.30am on Monday x

It's a small world out of all the people on this macmillan site we end up having surgery and spent time In same hospital/ward xx

• Hope you managed to get some rest and feel a little better this morning. Do you have a discharge date yet? If you're anything like me, although there was a part of me that was a bit scared to lose the security of having medical professionals on hand, I was much happier once I was back in my familiar surroundings. Lovely as the staff and other patients were, it was nice not to feel on public display but to settle back at home and try to get my head round the whole experience. That's still a work in progress and to be honest, if it wasn't for the scars (healing nicely) and the twinges when I move a certain way, it's almost as if it never happened.. I was only in for just over 48 hours and for half of that I was either under anaesthetic or coming round from it.  

• Sorry for delay in responding buy yesterday  i felt in really bad way. One side of my belly was like an over blown balloon and the other half in pain.

Hardly ate anything all day lovely cottage pie and after 2 small fork fulls that was it.

Woke a bit better this morning but now keep getting hot flushes

This is my 7th day in and not sure how many more. In away good job I was still in as they discovered my phosphate levels were low so now on yet more med.

I do want to be home and whilst it may still be lonely at least with having a TV I won't be so bored. 

I know recovery is a long journey but I find I'm doing one step forward and then 2 back

There are just 3 of us on the ward and just as well we all get on as there's  not much else going on.

You take  are and continue on your road to full recovery x