• 9 replies
  • 85 subscribers

Hi everyone. I find myself on here having gone to the doctors with a bad arm! I remarked that I might have a recurring urine infection as I was bleeding slightly. I did question this once before almost a year ago whether it could be a post menopausal bleed (I’m 63) but the GP I saw (not my regular) put it down to cystitis and gave me a course of antibiotics, bleeding stopped and I thought no more of it  Anyway, this damn tendonitis in my right arm may be giving me gyp but it may just have saved me.  I couldn’t get to see a doctor,  so my appointment was made with the nurse practitioner, I mentioned about the possible UTI and spotting and she said that that didn’t sound right. We’ll long story short, an ultrasound, biopsy, MRI, CT scan later, I am booked in for a total hysterectomy with salpingo-oophorectomy this coming Thursday 20th October having been diagnosed with stage 1a womb cancer!.  It should have been 27th September but it was cancelled last minute as the MRI showed that it was possibly attached to muscle so I needed to have a CT scan to make sure that the lymph nodes were not affected. My local hospital is not equipped for anything other than a stage 1a cancer so just in case, presuming it to be now a stage 1b, they had to book me in to Queen Charlottes in London. Luckily for me after further careful examination, they were happy it is still at stage 1a. 
Anyway, now op day is looming I find each day since the diagnosis, where I was fine (apart from the arm) before,  I now seem to be imagining all sorts of aches and pains I never noticed before in that area. I also tire quite easily. I am still working full time but I’m wondering if this is normal, am I imagining it or was it always there? I have come a bit of a couch potato since Covid which is probably half of the trouble but the mind plays some funny tricks. I still think it’s happening to someone else and not me. One upside - I have been lugging an 11cm fibroid around with me for many a year - finally time to say goodbye! 

Take care ladies and thank you so much for listening, any tips on pre/post hysterectomy things to do to help myself be more comfortable in hospital and recover quicker will be gratefully received. First time I’ve ever had a major surgery, so feeling a little apprehensive. 

• Hi Chrissy

Very sorry to hear your news but, as you say, your arm may well have saved you.  I had same hysterectomy as you 3.5yrs ago, and made excellent recovery at age 63.  It was my first time in hospital and can't speak highly enough of them (Churchill, Oxford) even the food was lovely!

I'd say do exactly as your surgical team advise, keep the wound/dressing dry as infection less likely to occur.  Then do as the hospital physios tell you and do a little exercise each day to help things heal well.  They had me out of bed on Day 2 and walking a little.  Take your phone charger but no money as all you'll want is their food which is excellent.  Take loose clothing to put on the day you leave, possibly elasticated waist tracksuit bottoms that you can roll down to or above bikini level depending on your scar.  Most of all just don't think about it - just go with the flow, let the professionals take over and do their job.

Tips: stock fridge with soups and ready meals and vegetables.  Prune juice too in case of constipation initially. Then lie on the sofa reading or watch a box set, I was six weeks off work but you'll need it as you'll be exhausted initially.  

Sending lots of positive thoughts

Kate

• Hi Chrissy, welcome to the group and to this roller coaster ride! Well done for every day that you’ve got through so far. I was diagnosed this time last year and had my laparoscopic hysterectomy in January this year. I did a Hysterectomy Diary thread starting with the op day itself, and you may find it of interest! community.macmillan.org.uk/.../hysterectomy-day-and-after---diary

• And here’s a thread started by MrsBJH and added to by others, re what to pack in your overnight bag. Not everything will apply to everyone, but it’s worth looking through. For me the most vital things were my own pillow and snacks/squash. community.macmillan.org.uk/.../what-to-take-in-my-overnight-bag

• Chrissy, just to say that your original post doesn’t seem to have a title? It might get more responses if you added one as then it would show up on the main forum page and more may notice it.

• Hi and welcome to our group of lovely supportive ladies who'll be here to hold your hand or offer a holder to cry on, we've all been there and for most of us this was our first brush with major surgery. Thank goodness for your Nurse Practitioner being on the ball!

If you have laparoscopic surgery recovery time is very quick, some ladies went home the same day! The main thing is to avoid lifting and bending, take small walks as soon as you feel up to it, rest when you feel like it.

When you get a minute it’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and how you came to find yourself here. Why not take a few moments to update your profile. It's always helpful for us to read if we want to ask you questions and you also won't end up repeating yourself. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”). You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

As Marmitefan59 mentioned, give a title to your future threads so the subject appears to others. I'm not sure if you can go in retrospectively and give it a title so I'll ask the team if they can add a title. I'll ask them to entitle it Hello, I'm new here.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it really informative and helpful.

Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful for when you have surgery. One of the ladies has already provided a link.

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, Barb xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Kate. Thank you so much for the tips, luckily I have a very self sufficient hubby, he’s retired so he is standing by to wait on me hand and foot. I bought some jogging bottoms, also a couple of nighties as I thought they’d be better than pj’s for “ease of access” while I’m in hospital Slight smile I’m hoping the prune juice won’t be necessary as I do suffer from constipation anyway but have been told that’s it more than likely due to the “beast” of a fibroid I have which after too many years I will finally be losing. 

• Thank you so much for the link  it gave me some idea of what to expect. When I was first diagnosed, I started a blog but I found everything so overwhelming I had to stop. I think I just tried to take everything on board too soon. I’m feeling a bit better about it all now and I will continue with it. I smiled at the part where you said you didn’t like people, bright lights and noises - I think that’s one of the things that I’m dreading the most. I am definitely not a social butterfly - the  thought of having to make polite conversation with strangers! I’m practising my ‘stay away’ scowl :). The what to pack link was very helpful I thought I had it all covered but there was some good ideas there. Thanks again and I was sure I did do a title for my post but thinking about it, it may have just been a waving emoji. 

• Thank you  it’s a comfort to know that I am not alone. I can’t have keyhole surgery due to a very large fibroid - that I was assured would shrink after menopause when a hysterectomy was first considered due to heavy periods back in my early fifties - it didn’t and is precisely the same size today. I will definitely make sure to update my profile, I initially started to update everything and then became so overwhelmed by it all I had to stop, but I’m feeling much better about it all now. 

• Hi Chrissy, as you’re having open surgery, you will be staying in a bit longer than for laparoscopic surgery, so taking in stuff from home will be especially helpful for you. Could I suggest that earphones/ear buds would be a good idea, even if you’re not planning on listening to anything, as you can pretend you are, and not have to make small talk if you don’t want to! 

Something I did in preparation for my hysterectomy was to keep my diet light in the couple of days pre up, and, the day before my op, I had my main meal at lunchtime, with just fruit and soya milk in the evening, so that I has a poo that evening and my bowel was then as clear as possible for the morning. Post op I again kept my diet as light as possible until I had had my first post op poo. I didn’t have any wind pains post op, nor any constipation. Getting up and about asap post op, and having gentle walks around the ward and corridor, should also help get things moving,