Newly diagnosed

• 10 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hello all, writing here as, live alone and still in shock, and no one else to talk to about it. I was diagnosed yesterday with endometrial cancer, I’m still in my 40s and haven’t hit menopause yet, so with a full hysterectomy on the horizon I’m really worried about that sudden shock following this one. I’ve read that HRT is too risky to take as can contribute to other cancer risks, wonder what peoples thoughts are in that? Also what other alternatives are out there? 
I lost my mum in March to cancer, myself and family are still dealing with the loss, I’m rather afraid to share my fears now with them. I wish so much to talk to my mum she was the fixer. 

• Hi Skyes, please don’t think you’re alone - we are all here to help each other. I was in a right state when I first posted on here, but this group has been, and continues to be, a real source of comfort and support. Unfortunately I’m unable to answer your questions, being post menopausal myself, but I’m sure there will be somebody soon who will be able to give you help and advice. Julia x

• Hi Skyes, and welcome to the group. Really feel for you as you process the news and try to let it settle. I was diagnosed about this tike last time so can relate to your feelings on this emotional roller coaster ride. Have you had a staging MRI or CT scan yet? I was post menopause when I had my hysterectomy so I can’t help on the HRT but would be happy to help with any questions about anything else. We’re all here to help and support you.

• Hi, thank you for your kind words. No not yet, I have an MRI booked for next week. It was a lot to take in at the meeting as I was alone and my mind was just screaming Cancer! Nothing else really sunk in 

• Hi Skyes and welcome. I can’t help with the HRT as I was through the menopause but just give you a heads up about the MRI. Mine was done with contrast, so involves a cannula being used. Also mine took almost an hour and they turned the music off, so maybe ask them to play some music to help pass the time while you’re in there! Good luck Rosie x

• Gosh an hour Frowning2️ I really am not a fan of those machines.. have been in one before for 20 mins felt like an hour, thank you Pray for the heads up.. better to be prepared, will have to Google cannula Grimacing thank you x 

• Hi Skyes

I was also post menopausal when diagnosed, however I had been using HRT for a short amount of time prior to this.  I had been experiencing vaginal dryness and discomfort so was prescribed vaginal oestrogen pessaries which did help. I can't be sure whether these contributed to my cancer diagnosis, however stopped using them immediately after my diagnosis.  I'm now 14 weeks post surgery and have started to feel similar vaginal dryness symptoms again the last few days but I'm reluctant to take anything hormone based again and will seek advice from my medical team for alternatives.  Having said that there are thousands of women who use HRT and are absolutely fine.

For now I would suggest you focus on your treatment and surgery, and once recovered from that you can then review your options regarding HRT - it's such a lot to get your head around, not only with the diagnosis but what your future will be like afterwards.

Also, I think your family would want to know so that they can support you.

• Hi Skyes I just close my eyes as I start to go inside and don’t open them until I’m coming out! A cannula is just a needle they put in your hand or arm that they can put fluids for the contrast in. Those were the last scans they took x

• Hi Skyes

I was peri menopausal when I had my diagnosis still having periods but cycles were becoming shorter then longer,  following surgery it hit me like a train surgical menopause! Lots of hot flushes,  dry vagina and very emotional. But I'm alive and was lucky the cancer was a grade 1 stage 1 and was removed along with everything that was taken away.  I was told I couldn't have HRT as it is a risk factor in it returning and I'm doing everything I can to help my future prognosis I've lost over 3 stones in weight and I'm doing mindfulness to help me cope.  Also Yes Vm is a non hormonal vaginal moisturiser which is excellent.  My MRI also lasted just over an hour and I had a cannula for contrast and buscopan which keeps your bowl still for better images.  Hope you find comfort and support within this group of amazingly supportive ladies x

• Hi Skyes, I received my diagnosis over the phone about 11 months ago, and I can still clearly remember the plummeting feeling in my stomach and the screaming feeling in my head as the registrar seemingly matter of factly said I had cancer, and then started rattling off information which felt like an express train going through my head with me no retaining anything so I asked her to please stop for a few moments and give me time to take it in. Thankfully she did, and she also gave me the contact number for my CNS team so that I could ask any questions I thought of afterwards. Have you been given the contact details for yours?

i had my staging MRI about a week afterwards. I’m not a fan of MRIs, having had one before for my neck and one for my knee, but the technicians were very kind and when I expressed my fear of opening my eyes and feeling claustrophobic, they suggested an eye mask and I have to say this made all the difference. With the mask on I could pretend I was in bed, or on a beach, and it really helped. For me, what also helped was asking them to tell me when I was half way through and when I was nearly done. One suggestion I have other than asking for an eye mask is to take socks with you, because it can get a bit chilly in the MRI room. They will likely cover you with a blanket but your feet may stick out and socks can be warm as well as comforting,