Womb Cancer at 27 years old

• 3 replies
  • 85 subscribers

I don't know whether to be worried or not, as I feel like 27 is a young age, however I was referred to a gynaecologist a few weeks ago due to having an internal ultrasound that diagnosed PCOS and they wanted to send me for more tests. Luckily I have private health care with work so decided to go to my local private hospital for more tests.

The gynae was so lovely, she listened to my symptoms and decided to do another internal ultrasound to be sure of the PCOS diagnosis. The scan was last week and I had my consultation yesterday to discuss her findings. It turns out I don't have PCOS at all (I have 2/3 small cysts on my L ovary but they wouldnt class this as PCOS) but they saw that my uterus lining was excessively thick, especially when i've bled heavily throughout the whole of July so this has built up very quickly. 

She has booked me in for a hysteroscopy in 2 weeks time which she will be doing herself, taking biopsies and fitting the merina coil in. She told me as I have a family history of cancer and considering my symptoms I have a high risk of having cancerous cells so she wants to put me under a general anaesthetic so she can remove anything for more samples if necessary while she has the camera up there.

I'm only 27 and I've been on good old Google and womb cancer seems to be something more prominent in older ladies, but she said she has treated someone who is just 23 so it is possible in younger patients. Are there any younger patients on here?

I'm really nervous for my surgery, thankfully I have my brothers wedding and a camping trip between now and then so I have lots to distract me but the whole thing was such a shock. I walked in to the consultation last night expecting to be told I have PCOS and to lose weight, but being told I need surgery and possible cancerous cells has completely floored me. I lost both of my grandparents in the last 8 months to the big C so I haven't been able to focus on anything since last night apart from googling and reading these forum pages.

Do the nerves get any easier? I feel like between now and the op all I will be thinking about is 'what if' and I cant seem to switch off from it.

This has turned into a bit of a ramble, but I just needed to speak to anyone who could understand what I'm going through.

Katie xx

• Hi I was diagnosed last year when I was 33, I was told it is unusual but does happen.  I know it’s easier said then done but try not to think about the what if’s and try to keep yourself occupied and try not to google things.  I lost my grandad to pancreatic cancer 2 months before I was diagnosed which terrified me because I kept thinking of what happened to him.  The ladies on here are all lovely and helpful and we will all support you where we can. If you need to talk feel free to message me. X

• Hi and a warm welcome to our spot in the Online Community. Endometrial cancer can affect anyone of any age but does tend more to affect post menopausal ladies. There have been a few younger members so hopefully they'll be along soon to chat.

One thing we all agree on here ids don't consult Dr Google. It's all information, frequently out of date, which will scare you silly. Do your research on here where you'll get information from ladies who are currently undergoing treatment f have finished it.

A thickened endometrium lining often sets alarm bells ringing after the ultrasound scan, thereafter its normally hysteroscopy with biopsies taken, CT scan and perhaps MRI scan. The Multi Discipline Team (MDT) consists of Surgeons, Anaesthetists, Oncologists, CNS and theatre staff then meet to discuss their findings and devise a treatment plan.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and how you came to find yourself here. Why not take a few moments to update your profile. It's always helpful for us to read if we want to ask you questions and you also won't end up repeating yourself. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) . You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it really informative and helpful.

Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful for when you have surgery.

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, Barb xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Katie,

I understand your nervousness and it's not easy to do but try to remain positive and calm, in that there is nothing definite as yet. Try not to think of your forthcoming visit to hospital as Surgery. In my own experience, a hysteroscopy is an exploratory microscope procedure and biopsies remove small amounts of tissue for sampling. The recovery from this procedure will hopefully not be as painful or take as long as a surgical procedure.

I was told I was young to be diagnosed at 52 but I am post menopausal. We all get nervous, it's only human. Waiting for scans and then results seems to be the worst, as I'm sure everyone would agree.

Best wishes for your procedure and let us know how you get on. The ladies on here are kind and have a lot of experience to help you.

A x