Just had biopsies

• 3 replies
  • 85 subscribers

I’ve had terrible periods for a few years very heavy to the point I darent go out and very painful particularly in my pelvis and top of leg . I’ve had an ultrasound which just showed fibroids . I then got diagnosed with stage 3 bowel cancer and had a resection last march21 and some chemo . Fast forward to today where I finally had a gynaecologist appointment about my periods . He took several biopsies’ incase anything has been missed ‘ and fitted a coil . I’m now wondering if I’ve got a spread from the bowel cancer . Does anything else show from these biopsies other than cancer ? 

• Hi . I can't help much I'm sorry to say as I'm years beyond having periods which were light but always painful. Hopefully someone will be along to compare notes on coils.

Biopsies take tissue samples and the samples taken are normally examined for cancer. My bestie had biopsies taken for her fibroids and they only discovered a "Calcified" fibroid. She recently had a full hysterectomy and removal of fallopian tubes, ovaries etc. and histology showed she had no cancer present.

So it doesn't necessarily follow there'll have been a spread from the bowel cancer but until the histology is completed after a hysterectomy it won't be known. Have you been referred for a CT or MRI scan as yet?

Come back and let us know and any questions, fire away!

Hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Barb , 

consultant didn’t mention ct or mri . Just took 4 biopsies , fitted the coil and said he would write to me .I’m wondering if he was being over cautious because of my bowel cancer or my dreadful family history as I believe there is a connection between breast , bowel and womb cancers . He just said I’d like to take a biopsy incase we have missed anything . Then went onto say that I wasn’t suitable for other drugs that might help with the flow and pain but he would fit a coil 

• Hi Let us know what happen when the biopsy results come back.

You could type Mirena coil into the search bar at the top of the page to find some posts that may help.

Hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett