Scared. Uterine biopsy caused metritis, and now it’s MRI day.

• 16 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Reaching out for some wise words as I seem to come off the rails slightly. I am going through the ‘tests to rule out cancer’ process. I’m generally a positive person who refuses to be defeated. I’m a Buddhist (SGI) and also a Art Psychotherapist. Age 50, had severe bleeding for a few years, been on HRT for 9 months. The Buddhism is keeping me straight mostly. The job is massively demanding and the hardest thing to do. The waiting is sometimes manageable, sometimes not (like today). I have had a transvaginal scan which I was told ‘everything’s fine, I can’t see anything strange’ by the enthusiastic radiologist. GP disagreed and said p a ‘mass’ has been found on your right ovary and your endometrium is thicker than it should be’. Cue a blood test, which I’m told ruled out some ovarian cancers, but not sure as the info they gave was vague. I had an endometrial biopsy which resulted in 10 days of pain and bleeding and not knowing what the H was going on, no result yet. The hospital gave me zero info about the biopsy before or what to do after, and just shoved a couple of pads in my hand and said ‘there you go, love. Expect a couple of days of light bleeding’. I was still in shock as I didn’t even know they were going to do this procedure. Dr. Google is an ARSE for those of us with White Coat Syndrome (another story). Upshot is I have metritis - infection of the womb (as a result of the biopsy). On antibiotics which have thankfully done the trick. Today it’s the MRI. Woke up at 4am and have to work after MRI, so bracing myself for that (my clients are mainly neurodiverse children, so re-scheduling etc. needs very careful planning). I have asked for self-employed support from Macmillan, but as the main breadwinner on a decent salary, I am freaking out too. Benefits will not cover the mortgage, I’m pretty sure. I’ll try to reduce my therapy clients and take on more training and admin I guess. I may be physically able to work in the coming months, but psychologically is another matter. I do have a Clinical Supervisor who will help me navigate the work bit. My doctor is great, the hospital are great when I’m in the building - but worse than terrible with the aftercare. My husband, adult kids and friends are amazing. My mum (a frail 74) is struggling with it all and has clammed up when I most need her. Thanks for reading my outpouring. 

• Hi Daimoku! Hope the MRI goes smoothly today and that you’re then able to get on with your day. I hope too that your results come through quickly. Please please stop googling and either ask here or use reputable sources like Macmillan or Cancer Research UK, Something I did too early on, to preserve my sanity, was to limit the amount of time I spent each day thinking about my health - I decided to allow a couple of hours in the evening and no more. All the best and thinking of you today.

• Hi Daimoku,

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling and feel for you. I know how you feel about your work as I had a demanding job leading a team. I put off going to GP because of work pressures, when I should have been putting myself and my health first as I needed investigations for post menopausal bleeding. Whether this affected my outcome, I'll never be certain but I know this - the things I thought were important then have no significance now. There is always someone that will take your place at work and do that work. The Macmillan helplines are an excellent resource for financial/work advice.

I'm pleased you've got good support with family and friends. I'm sure your mum will become supportive and just needs time to process your current health problems.  I had similar with my mother - she finds it difficult facing mortality and struggled to accept the fact that I am incurable. This has improved though and while I'm sure there may be difficulties as time goes on, she now knows and accepts the current situation.

I just wanted you to know that I know where you're coming from and that you're not on your own.

Stay in touch and let us know how you get on. Look after yourself and accept all the help you can. Take care,

Amanda x 

• Hi Daimoku

Iam thinking of you today and hope that the MRI goes well.

My heart goes out to you trying to juggle work and finances on top of everything else. Your Mum just might need a bit of time to get her head around things in her own way. I've found myself how differently close friends and family have reacted. I personally kept things very private until my Chemo when I lost my hair and there was no sheliding them from it. Macmillan offer their services to our loved ones too if she would like to talk to someone. 

Please keep us updated. Sending a big virtual hug.

Robin x

• Great advice, many thanks.X

• Many thanks Amanda, you're absolutely right - I had a very challenging morning today, and your words help a lot. 

• I’ve been up since 4.30am with anxiety. I’ve chanted about 3 hours however. MRI with IV Buscopan (which they hadn't warned me about prior) at 11- Unfortunately I had a bit of a CPTSD meltdown (tears and anxiety) and couldn’t get out of the car when I got to the hospital- I managed it in the end. Amazingly a dear friend happened to be at the entrance waiting to go in… the big hug I needed! I’m ok, just had one client this afternoon and now feet up Relievedthe Daimoku (Buddhist chanting), as always paid off! PraySparkling heartPraySparkling heartPraySparkling heart

• Many thanks Robin - much appreciated X 

• Hi 

I do completely sympathise with you. I too am self-employed and this has caused me a lot of extra stress on top of my illness. Week 2 of recovery after hysterectomy I discovered an Order of Possession on our home in our letterbox. It was devastating. I have had no income and no benefits at all for the entire year and our financial situation has been so bad, especially after two years of surviving off SEISS (my husband had been trying not to worry me and dealing with it himself and we were massively behind on our mortgage payments - he had even been to court the week of my hysteroscopy surgery without me knowing :( I have been spending my recovery time job hunting to try and get out of self employment as I never want this to happen again. I had my first job interview yesterday in nearly 20 years! 

I did not discover I had cancer until I had the histology reports back 4 weeks after surgery. This meant that I was not able to get any benefits as I only had 'pre-cancer' pre-surgery and this wasn't enough to get me support. I did not qualify. I did actually end up with cancer but if it had been diagnosed properly beforehand I would have potentially been able to receive a grant and probably PIP (if it had gone on long enough). Universal Credit was a no go for me as it deemed my husband's freelance salary to be enough for us (which it hasn't been - he is also self employed and income is variable). I don't mean this to be a gloom-meister but I would take one step at a time. You may not get many answers about benefits without having a diagnosis but at the same time, you may not need them. You will be in a much better position than me as an MRI will tell you a lot more about your condition (I wasn't offered one) and if you are diagnosed you WILL get help.

With kindness, there's a lot going today and you cannot predict what will happen. But for now I would focus your energies on getting through your scans etc. One thing I have learnt throughout all this is to take one step at a time. It is really not good for your physical or mental wellbeing to pile so much pressure onto yourself - I have been there. It's easier said than done but you really never know what will happen next.

• Cakenport, thank-you so much. I sincerely hope you are able to resolve your housing issue XXX

• Hi . It might be a good idea to give the Macmillan Support Helpline a ring on freephone no. 0808 808 0000 and speak to the financial team, they should be able to offer some advice and support.

Hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett