I think I have uterine cancer

• 5 replies
  • 86 subscribers

I think I have uterine cancer. I was describing my issues to my GP and thought she would say something like "It's stress" or "Let me know in 3 months". That didn't happen. She called me for a screening test this Friday. She didn't tell me for what, but I figured it out after we spoke. I'm a bit nervous. I want to tell someone but everyone around me will freak out and I can't take their reactions on top of this. I feel like I will burst if I don't tell someone. What now? What should I do? I dealing with anxiety and anxious tics on top of this. I just wanted a peaceful month :). And honestly, this is one of the funniest things that's happened to me in a while. I can't stop crying but I can think of a million jokes to make about this. Has anyone had to break the news to their family? Any tips?

• I feel you. This was me 2 weeks ago. I would personally first list the positives (for myself first, and get used to them - write them down even). Mine is -1. I have a great doctor. 2. I have very supportive friends and family 3. I have my faith (Buddhist) which has got me through hell before. 4. I don’t technically need my female plumbing anymore (3 adult kids). 5. I have a limited amount of energy (I’m not ‘ill’, just human) . Wasting it worrying is a waste, I HATE waste! Plus stress might make any illness worse (I know this from science!).
    Once I was sitting alongside these positives, I felt I needed lots of facts - so cue many phone calls to Gynae dept who hadn’t given me any timescales/results expectations despite being brilliant at everything else! NOW I have info, I feel I can say things like - my doctor is brilliant - I’ve got some results - waiting on others - etc. I have found this helpful. I also remember my dad (age 20) wasn’t told his mum was dying of ‘female cancer’. Her ‘sudden’ death truly messed him up for the rest of his life - he’d had no chance to process it. I do not want my loved ones going through that. People genuinely want to help and DO understand that some days you can manage the feelings associated with it all and some days you can’t. X

• Hi and a warm welcome to our supportive group. I think the laughter and tears is a touch of hysteria and we've all suffered it - it's not happening to me!! My GP immediately put me on the 2 week wait cancer pathway when I described very light pink discharge. I'd had my menopause years earlier.

I'd wait a little longer until you have a confirmed diagnosis before you tell the family. It'll be a difficult time for all involved. If you want a listening ear, talk to us, there's always someone to hear and hold your hand.

You'll probably have an ultrasound this week which is normally followed by a hysteroscopy with biopsies taken then CT scan and probably a MRI scan. 

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and how you came to find yourself here. Why not take a few moments to update your profile. It's always helpful for us to read if we want to ask you questions and you also won't end up repeating yourself. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) . You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it really informative and helpful.

Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful for when you have surgery.

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, Barb xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thank you so much, MrsBJH. I came to this forum because I wanted to tell someone. I'm pretty young and usually blab all my secrets to my friends and family. However, it's been a challenging year for everyone, and I don't want them to panic, especially if I am negative for cancer. I guess the hysteria is because I have too much on my plate right now and even meeting my GP for the check-up seems too time-consuming. I think my situation is a bit like yours. I was going to ignore my odd menstrual cycles, but my mom told me to bring it to my GP's attention. I'm not old enough to have a pap smear yet, and my numerous google searches have indicated that it is unlikely for me to have cancer. Yet after speaking to my GP, I realised that many symptoms I had written off over the months match up. And Friday seems so far away. But thank you for the advice and recommendation. I have wanted to scream into the black hole for a while now,

• Thank you so much, Daimoku71. Honestly, it is taking a lot of energy to process this. I don't think I have a list of positives yet, but I think I have enough jokes for a 5-minute standup act. Time seems to be moving slowly right now. I can't figure out how to plan my life when there is so much uncertainty. I hope I will be brave when I have to do the test and get the results. 

• Come back here and scream whenever you want to! LOL

Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett