Hi, I’m Choclab and new here.

• 15 replies
  • 71 subscribers

I had a positive diagnosis confirmed yesterday and I have my mums funeral tomorrow. My emotions are all over the place but finding I need to emotionally support family around me. I feel like I need to be away from everyone: about to explode one minute and burst into tears the next. I have a pre-op on Monday and hoping to find out then when my hysterectomy will be. I’m finding it hard to process anything at the moment, but hoping this will be better by Monday. It’s helped just writing this down!

• Hi Choclab, welcome to the group! I’m guessing from your user name (I’m quick! Lol) that you either have or love choccie labs! I hope it’s the latter and that you have a furry friend to support you. Bless you with all the difficult stuff you’re having to deal with - try and be kind to yourself. It’s okay to be anxious, it’s okay to feel like you’re on an emotional rollercoaster - you *will* find a way through this. What grade were you diagnosed with and have you had an MRI or CT to provisionally stage it?

• Hi chockablock.  So sorry to hear about your mum and your recent diagnosis.  You’ve made the right choice coming on here as the lovely ladies in the group will offer your good advice along with a shoulder to cry on.  It’s a difficult journey that we are all travelling on but it it does get easier. The waiting is the hardest part but just be kind to yourself and you’ll get through it. Positive thoughts help

Sending you condolences and a big hug and I hope all goes well tomorrow.  Look forward from tomorrow and you will get a lot of help on here.  Xx Maureen 

• Thank you! I have a chocolate Labrador (two years ago I had 3!) and he’s been really close over the last year. I was diagnosed with stage 1 but need a CT to confirm, although may go straight to hysterectomy. It’s only been 12months since we lost Dad, so know I’ll get through. Everything seems to be happening at once but wholeheartedly understand the rollercoaster analogy!

• Hi again ChocLab, have you been told what type and grade it likely is? If you have the CT, it will give the “probable” stage, but the actual stage won’t be definitely know till the post-hysterectomy histology has been done.

• Hi ChocLab, I also got my diagnosis yesterday  such a shock  I'm so sorry you have just lost your mum mine passed 10 years ago and still my first thought was I need to talk to mum so I cannot imagine how you must be feeling.  I too have a Chocolate Labrador retriever, she is 10 and I love her so much she is such a faithful lunatic! We have got this,  the ladies on here are wonderfully supportive although our journos are different we're in it together xx

• Welcome 

so sorry you’ve lost your mum at this time, it’s understandable that you are all over the place, but this is a fabulous forum where you can rant, cry ask questions or just browse other posts. It is hard but it is doable 

Hugs 

Chrissie xx

• Hi and a warm welcome to our lovely group of supportive ladies. I'm so sorry to read what you're going through with your mum's passing and the bombshell you've just had dropped on you with a cancer diagnosis. You have my sympathies on both counts.

Joining these forums, the first social media for many of us, is cathartic. We can write down how we feel, rant and cry and we'll support you as we know what you're going through as we've been there as well.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and how you came to find yourself here. Why not take a few moments to update your profile. It's always helpful for us to read if we want to ask you questions and you also won't end up repeating yourself. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) . You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around to offer support and help.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it invaluable on my journey. 

Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful for when you have surgery.

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, Barb xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thank you Barb. I can’t say I’m over Mums funeral, but am now able to concentrate on me more. My sister and brother have been great in sorting things out, and I have a good network of friends who are able to offer practical and emotional support. So I’m actually feeling quite “stable” at the moment. Although I’ve been diagnosed with stage 1, I’m hoping to find out more at the pre-op tomorrow. If not, I’ll ring the lovely Macmillan nurse who has already been in contact.Thank you for the information you included. It’s been very useful! And just knowing that I’m not alone has been a huge support. Pxx

• Hello! Yes, it was a shock but I’ve realised by telling people, the sting has been taken out of the news. I think all chocolate labradors must bee loony! Mine is 10years old too and still acts like a much younger dog. But he has meant there has been some sort of routine to the past few days, which was just what I needed. It has been such a support reading that I am not the only one on this journey. I have a good network of friends, offering practical and emotional support. I had an MRI this morning and chest X-ray, (both at an unearthly hour for a Sunday!) and am hoping to get a clearer picture of what is happening tomorrow. It has been so helpful discovering this community.

• Hi again, well done for having your MRI and chest X ray today - that’s what I had after my diagnosis. The results will likely have to go to your MDT first before being given to you so you’re unlikely to get the results tomorrow. MDT’s usually meet once a week. I was lucky with mine as I had mine on Tuesday and the results were in by the Thursday, so I got a phone call on the Thursday to come in the next day for the results, as my MDT meets on a Friday morning. Your pre op tomorrow will basically only be to do with your readiness for surgery, they’re not likely to know anything about your results or actual details of your op. It will be loads of questions, blood tests, ECG, MRSA swab, weighing and measuring, chat about pre op drinks possibly, and so on. I tried asking questions about my op and was told it wasn’t her jobs lol. You could however ask afterwards if your CNS is free for a chat if you wanted. My pre op assessment took a couple of hours in all, including some waiting around.