New and living alone

• 16 replies
  • 88 subscribers

Hi, I got my diagnosis last wednesday so this is all very new and a bit overwhelming. I have my MRI and chest xray in a weeks time for staging and am anxious about that.   I live alone with a lovely, but crazy Springer Spaniel and worried how I will manage my recovery.  My son and granddaughter are going to give me as much support as they can, but mostly I will be on my own following the op.  I would be grateful for any practical advise I can use.  I have started to prepare my home so that every thing is within easy reach and my son is going to walk the dog.  

I am also interested to learn about how all of you have found the recovery period.  My son seems to have been given some information that is about 10/20 years out of date and I would like to reassure him about how things have change.

Hope you are all having a lovely afternoon

Sallie

• Hi and welcome to our spot in the Online Community where we have a lovely group of ladies who were also totally overwhelmed by the diagnosis. We've all been there so know how you feel so any questions shout out, someone will know the answer.

After your MRI scan and possibly CT scan you'll get initial stage and grading which will be confirmed by histology post hysterectomy.

If you have laparoscopic surgery (keyhole) the recovery time is fairly quick. You must avoid lifting and bending, even a kettle can be too heavy - just put in 2 cups of water. It's good to see you've given thought to make sure everything's easily reachable. Make sure your coat or jacket isn't hanging up too high.

Do some batch cooking for the freezer so you can just reheat in the microwave.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and how you came to find yourself here. Why not take a few moments to update your profile. It's always helpful for us to read if we want to ask you questions and you also won't end up repeating yourself. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) . You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it invaluable on my journey. 

Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful for when you have surgery.

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, Barb xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Sallie and welcome! Have you been given an initial probable grade from a hysteroscopy? The MRI will give a probable stage but the actual stage won’t be known till after the histology is done from your op. I did a hysterectomy diary after nine in January and you may find it helpful - link here: community.macmillan.org.uk/.../1679182

• Hi Sallie,

I was 72 when I got my diagnosis. I was fairly fit, had keyhole surgery, and recovered fairly quickly. The consultant said I would regain my fitness after 3 months and I think she was right. I was in hospital for 2 nights simply because my bladder refused to work, but most people don't seem to have this. I walked each day, a little further each time. Although I have a husband I cooked the meals after 2 days, so if your meals are ready prepared that will help. We went away in our motorhome after 3 weeks. I was concerned about bending down for pans, but managed fine and got my feet up in the afternoons while husband walked!! All in all, I recovered quicker than I expected.

One thing that shook me slightly was having to walk down to the theatre down miles of corridor passing public on the way. Being older I had always been wheeled down!!! Make sure you have a dressing gown, as I had a hospital gown that didn't do up at the back!!!! I was very thankful I had my dressing gown on!!. I'm sure you will be fine.

• hi Sallie, i'm the same, live on my own in an upstairs flat and i'm trying to move asap before op. I do have 2 sons but both work full time. Try a telephone buddy through MacMillan, mine is a lovely lady and we just chat, Also if you get a local buddy they can pop round and help with things like changing your bed or making you a cuppa, so i was told. Prepared meals you can microwave is a good idea. MacMillan are on the phone too if you need to chat to a nurse or support worker. Wishing you well. x

• Hi Sallie, I also lived alone when I had my operation in 2017 which was a TLH and BSO.  Some of my friends and family organised a rota to drop in/stay overnight now and again so that for the first few weeks I was never alone for long. I arranged myself a home help for a few hours a week for the first few weeks, although your family may be happy to fulfill that role!

I needed someone to: carry the shopping home (I was not allowed to drive for a few weeks), change the bedclothes, get heavy awkward stuff like duvet-cover in and out of the washing machine and hang it up, take the rubbish out to the bin, hoover, clean the bath, and move anything heavy e.g. sometimes I needed them to get a file out of a bookcase or cupboard. I had put chairs in strategic places before I went into hospital.

The morning after my operation, still in hospital, I got up and had a wash at the sink and got dressed. I went home that evening and the next morning I was able to get myself up and totter into the shower. Although I could do lots of things for myself, I could not necessarily do all those things on one day. Do not under-estimate the fatigue, it goes on for weeks. This is not to scare you, just to warn you to plan ahead and don't over-commit yourself.

A friend collected me from hospital (I think the hospital will insist on this) by car, she brought me home and stayed overnight until another visitor arrived the next day. I was OK medically although very washed-out.

After surgery I had to do a short course of anti-thrombosis injections. These were not difficult although if you hate injections you may want to ask someone to do that for you while you look the other way. I also had elastic stockings for a while, these can be a struggle to get on by yourself so here's a tip: mine had holes in the toes, by design, so I slipped a little nylon slippy thing over my foot - or a plastic bag can work - pulled the elastic stocking on over the slippy thing and over my heel, then pulled the slippy thing out of the stocking's toe-hole. Any questions, ask away, I usually have a look here a few times a week and there are always others around too. Good luck, LR.

• Hi MarmiteFan59

I had a hysteroscopy  and biospy 2 weeks ago.  I was scheduled to have a further hysteroscopy tunder general anesthetic to remove a polyps on Thursday but the biopsy came back showing cancer cells and that op was cancelled.  Thank you for the link to your diary, I will be interested in reading that.

• Thank you for the positve feedback.  I will certainly bare in mind your advice about taking a dressing gown.  Please to hear you making a good recovery

• Thank you.  I am not good at reaching out for help but a telephone buddy sounds a good idea

• phone the support line and they can put you in touch with someone. I'm the same. but it feels good to have the contact and talk to a stranger.x

• Sallie, here’s another link for you started by MrsBJH - it’s a thread about what to take in your overnight bag

community.macmillan.org.uk/.../1592907