Awaiting results from biopsies

• 12 replies
  • 88 subscribers

Good morning everyone,

My name’s Emma and I’m posting this on behalf of my wife, Pauline.

Pauline had some irregular bleeding after her menopause (she is 56) and was referred for a hysteroscopy within 2 weeks. This was on 28th Jan.

The doctor strongly suspects endometrial cancer and told us that we would get a letter within the next few weeks. The waiting is very hard and poor Pauline isn’t sleeping very well at all.

My question is related to the letter - how do the hospital tell you the results in your letter? Do they do that? Or do they ask you to ring your GP?

Your knowledge and experience will be gratefully received, thank you Pray 

• Hi Emma and Pauline. Everyone in this group knows how difficult it is waiting for results but you will hopefully find a lot of support here.  When I had my hysteroscopy I was also told that I would get a letter two/three weeks later.  In fact I get a phone call a few days later with an appointment to see a consultant. My husband was allowed in the consultation so if it comes to that you will be allowed in with Pauline.  There is no point in me saying try not to worry or read anything into the waiting times-it is a time when your  mind and emotions go into overdrive.  i am sure that Barb or Gbear will reply to your post soon and they have lots of experience and good advice.  For now, hugs to you both. Hugging

• Hi Emma, different hospitals may do things differently but this is my story: went to GP with some slight pink spotting mid Sept 2021 and was referred on the 2 week pathway. I was told I would hear either by letter or phone with an appointment for an ultrasound - for me it was a phone call 2 days later offering me an appointment for ultrasound the following week and then an appointment for a hysteroscopy the week after that, if the ultrasound indicated that was advisable. I had the ultrasound (external and internal) the following week, and she noticed that the lining of the uterus was thicker than it should be after menopause, so she said I needed to attend the following week. She told me that directly, I didn’t have to wait for the result, but they may do things differently in other areas. The hysteroscopy failed, so I was referred to have it under general anaesthetic. I had a pre op assessment and then the hysteroscopy a couple of weeks later which just involved being there for a morning and the consultant came to see with after and told me he’d removed a polyp and sent it off for analysis. For the result of that biopsy, I got a phone call just over two weeks later. So all my contact has been direct from the hospital, my GP has been informed by them but hasn’t been involved at all. I hope Pauline hears soon - if it gets to two weeks without hearing anything she should phone the hospital, as being on the 2 week pathway means a commitment to hearing within 2 weeks.

• Hi Emma

i found the waiting for results the worst I had mine by phone as they already knew when I had the hyteroscopy that it was cancer and she told me she could feel growths and it was bad the results were in just over a week after I had a CNS nurse who rang me they weren’t sure where mine had started from womb cervix vagina or Bowel so I was sent for a CT scan and had the results of that over the phone she said we don’t usually give results like this over the phone I knew it was going to be bad news I said it’s ok as some off my family were with me she said it was not what they expected to c it had started from my womb but nodules in my pelvis under breast bone and multiple in my lungs stage 4 so I didn’t have to have the other biopsy op or MRI that I had appts for straight on to chemo assessment and chemo they said we can treat it but not cure it got my next one tomorrow so I suppose everywhere is different especially with the covid I have my CNS on email and the secretary so I keep in touch or ting if any worries I had Bowel cancer 9 years ago stage 3 had that removed and reattached so I was pleased my Bowel wasn’t involved had chemo then also a different one to this.  Just hang on in there try to keep occupied talk to family and friends go for day out spoil her if she is able to go out and about mine all started end of October my story is on here only moved house end of September was still working 2 days I’m 63 it was a big shock as I only had pink discharge and it all went from there keep us informed and we’re all here for u both everyone in similar situation 

kind regards and big hugs to u both 

Mo 

• Thank you - your story is much appreciated. I hope your journey goes as well as possible for you. 

• Hi, that’s really helpful, thank you. Hopefully, we’ll get to hear something this week. Best wishes to you.

• Thank you Mo. Take care and take it easy.

• Hi Emma

The consultant who did my hysteroscopy told me the results there and then before even sending the biopsies off. I had no one with me, but I was ok (I even asked to see the photos of the tumour - and was shown!) and able to get my head around it before it became "official" and treatment discussed, which was at a face to face appointment.

Waiting is the worst, not just for Pauline, but for you, too. Remember that the timing of getting the results is also affected by the day of the week the MDT (multi-disciplinary team) meetings are held. As the name implies, this is a team of people from all aspects of diagnosing and treating cancer, that study your results and decide on the best treatment for you, as everyone is different. It's not until your results land with them and are discussed that they can tell you. My hysteroscopy was a on a Monday - MDT meetings are on a Wednesday in our area, so you can see why results take time. 

•  

Hi Emma & Pauline and a warm welcome to our spot in the Online Community. We all agree the endless waiting and worrying is soul destroying and we've all spent nights staring at the ceiling.

Once your GP as referred you on the 2 week wait cancer pathway the hospital team take over. The hysteroscopy will get a camera view of the womb and biopsies will have been taken. Usually you'll get a phone call from the hospital inviting you for a CT scan and/or a MRI scan. Then Pauline's results will be referred to the MDT (Multi Discipline Team consisting of surgeons, anaesthetists, oncologists, cns) who will decide a treatment plan. This normally will involve a hysterectomy and also removal of the ovaries, fallopian tubes and cervix.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and how you came to find yourself here. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it invaluable on my journey. Have a look through it and jot down a few questions you may have.

Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful for when you have surgery.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, Barb xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thank you Lesley Ann and Barb, your comments have been very helpful. It’s just a waiting game - wondering “what if, what if” to “let’s just whip your womb oot” while singing a wim oh weh, a wim oh weh (sounds like a womb away, a womb away)!

• Good morning Emma

Glad you found this group which has been my lifeline at times. Speaking to ladies going through or having been through the same is so much better for me and so helps me understand. 

I personally was advised after the hysterescopy that the consultant would write within 2/3 weeks with results.....instead I got phone call  a week after from the nurse giving me an appointment for consultation as results had come through....the nurse also advised I could bring someone with me. I instinct knew that they had found something.

Wishing you both the best xx

Madesp