Hello all

• 11 replies
  • 72 subscribers

I’ve been lurking for a while and decided it’s time to move on from denial, admit I belong here and introduce myself. I had a hysterectomy a week ago today after being diagnosed with Stage 1b, grade 1 endometrial cancer. Surgery was laparoscopic with just 3 small incisions which are glued, so no stitches to worry about and I haven’t had a lot of pain. But had a bit of a ‘funny turn’ the day after the op and was rushed off to another hospital with a suspected TIA, sent home that night but have had various trips back to hospital and phone calls with doctors since so haven’t felt very relaxed yet. I finally got the verdict yesterday from a stroke consultant that it wasn’t a TIA, most likely an anaesthetic reaction. So now I can stop worrying about that and go back to worrying about the cancer! I have my follow up appointment next Monday when I find out if the stage and grade are confirmed and whether I’ll need any further treatment. I live on my own and my brother stayed with me until yesterday, now alone but people around I can call on if I need to. Feeling fine though, happily resting in my recliner chair watching rubbish TV and very pleased I don’t need to go anywhere until next Monday!

• Hi Mapleseed, welcome to the forum. If you’ve been lurking you’ll already know there are a great bunch of ladies here all offering each other support.

So it’s good to hear you’ve had your surgery and are on the road to recovery, albeit that a suspected TIA must have had you in a bit of a spin. I too had keyhole surgery, it’s a marvellous thing. I felt as if I bounced back pretty quickly, I live with my husband so I was able to just rest completely and do nothing! Take it easy, don’t lift anything heavier than a kettle for a while, and just wipe any idea of housework out of your head!  

Waiting for results is always the pits, so I hope you hear soon and that it’s all good news. I don’t know if you drive, but you should check with your insurance company as after an op some of them are OK, but some want confirmation from your doc that you are fit to drive. Just mentioning this as you live alone.

Keep taking care of yourself

Viv x

• Hi Mapleseed, bless you and welcome to the group. I’m a bit behind you in that I haven’t yet had my hysterectomy - only got my result last Friday. It’s good to hear about laparoscopic hysterectomy as I should be having that and I’ve been wondering a bit about what recovery is like. Thinking of you and hoping for good news for you on Monday.

• Hi MarmiteFan59. The laparoscopic surgery really is pretty miraculous! I think the biggest challenge will be remembering I’ve had surgery and have to be careful. At the moment I mainly just feel tired and I’ve only really had pain from bowel and digestive problems which are getting much better. I was really nervous about the surgery but needn’t have been , they know what they are doing and looked after me so well.

• Thanks for the advice Viv. I’ve arranged everything in the house so I can look after myself for most things and have no trouble ignoring housework! I’ll also have people coming in quite a lot so can ask them to do the things I can’t.

• Hi Mapleseed. I had laparoscopic surgery 4 years ago. I also live alone and needed people to do some things for me in the first few weeks: carry shopping, take the rubbish out, moving heavy things like lever-arch files in or out of the bookcase, changing the bedclothes and getting them in and out of the washing machine. I used small towels rather than bathtowels because they'd be easier to get out of the washer too. Before surgery I put my heavy overcoat out in the hallway so I didn't need to heave it out of the wardrobe, so think of your list of little jobs for your visitors to do. I didn't drive for about 6 weeks so a couple of times I had to ask for lifts. Good luck now, LR.

• Hi and a warm welcome to our little spot in the Online Community. You've hit the nail n the head, take it easy, baby steps and for once indulge yourself by doing nothing or as little as possible. I got away with hoovering for a few weeks until I was sussed!

That must been frightening, a suspected TIA. (I confess I had to look that one up.) Hopefully all's back to normal now and as you say what a brilliant invention laparoscopic surgery is.

Sending welcoming hugs, Barb xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• I had my 2 week follow up appointment today and got good news, the tumour hadn’t got through to the outside of the uterus (it looked a bit suspicious on the scan). No spread, lymph nodes clear, confirmed 1b grade 1. No further treatment needed, just check ups for the next few years. Recovery from the op is going well. I can’t quite believe I can stop being anxious, it’s become a habit! 

• Hi That's fabulous news - I'm so pleased for you. You can stop feeling anxious but do drop back in from time to time and stay in touch!

Big hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thanks Barb and I hope all goes well with your treatment. xx

• Thanks some side effects kicking in, nausea, pins and needles - typing is a bit uncomfortable I admit! -  and blooming constipation! Felt brilliant on Tuesday, bit more fragile today but like you all back to baby steps!

Onwards and upwards, hugs, Barbxx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum