Black cohosh - safe or not after hysterectomy

• 7 replies
  • 69 subscribers

Hi,

following my hysterectomy after grade 2 stage 1a uterine cancer I’m advised not to resume HRT as I also carry the BRCA1 gene. (High risk breast cancer)

so my GP suggested Black cohosh for the hot flushes- but then good old google said that women who have or had uterine cancer shouldn’t take black cohosh…

Anybody got any further info on this? 
Thank you in advance fellow warriors. 
Zue X

• Hi . I think the best person to ask this question would be your Consultant or Oncologist. Our cancer feeds on hormones - oestrogen so you'd need to be very wary as to what you take. I'm well past that phase in my life so I'm sorry I can't offer any advice!

You could also give one of the Macmillan Nurses a call. Phone the freephone Macmillan Support Helpline, number shown below.

Sending hugs, Barb x

PS I quite like being called a warrior! LOL

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Zue, my consultant told me last week that I should not take Black Cohosh but to try evening primrose oil for the hot flushes xx

• Thank you Bella.

my surgeon, Macmillan nurse and GP all mooted Black Cohosh, I’m not sure… I think you’re right I should avoid all things Estrogen having already dodged one cancer bullet. Flushed
    I have ordered some EP oil anyway. See how I get on. Hot flushes are a bit tedious - helps with the heating bills though !! 
    Zue

Xxx 

• Thank you! 
    GP Mac. Nurse and surgeon all suggested Black Cohosh ….

I think I’m going to go the Eve Prim oil - err on the side of caution… 

Xxx 

• That’s weird isn’t it with people saying different things. I think you are right to be cautious though, it’s not worth the risk is it. I  know exactly what you mean about the hot flushes. I have them constantly. I am on day 3 of taking evening primrose, just hoping it is going to help and soon xxx

• Thanks again Bella, I found some Eve primrose in the cupboard - so I’ve taken one today , I’ll now try EP oil and stop the black cohosh - my Medicine cupboard is starting to look like Holland & Barrett .

The joys of being a woman. 
    xxx 

• Thank you Mrs BJH.

Love how you participate on here - what a Star️ star you are. 
    xxxx