What happens at first consultant appointment?

• 18 replies
  • 71 subscribers

Hello, 

Not too sure i actually belong here but thought i might try anyway.  At the beginning of November i had some very, very slight vaginal bleeding. I am 61 and over 10 years since my last period. Checked it all out and all the advice was to see my GP.   Filled in one our GP surgery e-consult forms fully expecting them to say it wasn't an issue and to monitor it. Instead i got a call back less than 2 hours later, (Friday morning). I was then offered a GP appointment face to face for Monday!  Attended that appointment and had all the usual examinations. GP then referred me on the Two Week pathway for checks for uterine cancer. Thursday of the same week i had an ultrasound and a trans-vaginal ultrasound.  I now have an appointment with the consultant for 10/11!   

Can anyone give me an idea on what happens at the appointment with the consultant? Want to be prepared if i can.

I know i have not got a diagnosis but i am sure someone on this group has gone through the same issues.

Interesting contrast that my friend submitted a e-consult form with her GP surgery (different one, same town) over two weeks ago and has not even received a reply to that form!!! 

I am aslo currently dealing with my husband being in hospital with appendicitis where i can only visit him for 1 hour twice a week!!

• Hi Garryswife,

Sorry you find yourself here. I had a smear of blood at 72 years old and was put on the two week pathway. I had an ultrasound, then a hysteroscopy, and they could find nothing. He then did a biopsy which found cancer. I then had an appointment with the consultant, who drew me a diagram of the womb and what she suggested doing! I'll point out she was very non-committal at this point. It was only after the operation that she gave me a high five when she found out I only needed the operation. Of course, they may have found something that isn't cancer. They thought I had vaginal thinning until the biopsy results came back.

My husband is currently in hospital, so I know how you feel. I can only visit for an hour when there is a spare room, which seems to be less and less (been in 3 weeks now). Good luck. xx.

• Thank you for answering!  Just keeping everything crossed that they don't find any nasties!  Looks like my husband will be going to theatre for surgery tomorrow so hoping that it won't be long before he is home!

• Hi and a warm welcome to our spot in the Online Community. Sorry I wasn't around yesterday to welcome you I was at a hospital appointment!

My journey started in the same way a very pink mucous like spotting a couple of days apart some years after my menopause had finished. My GP put me on the 2 week wait and despite Covid being in full swing everything seemed to happen quickly. My ultrasound revealed a thickening of the uterus which seems to set alarm bells ringing. I then had a hysteroscopy (camera in the womb) and biopsy. After the results of those were in a MRI scan then a CT scan. After all that I was given a diagnosis of Stage 1A/grade 1 endometrial cancer. 

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy (keyhole) and removal of ovaries, fallopian tubes and cervix. After the op I was regraded to stage 1B/grade 3 (high grade serous) and had 3 sessions of brachytherapy (high dose internal radiation therapy)

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• OOps, had'nt finished typingThis all came as a massive shock, no-one in my biological family had ever had a cancer diagnosis!

By joining this group you'll find a lovely supportive group of ladies who have been where you find yourself now so you're not alone on this scary journey.

I'm attaching a link to a booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. Have a read through then jot down a few questions for your consultant's meeting. If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

I hope your hubby's making good progress after his op. I'm getting ready to take mine in for a hip replacement 2 weeks today.

Big hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thank you so much!!  My nerves are completely frazzled but i am trying to keep calm.  My husband is waiting to be taken to theatre to have his appendix removed and that will mean he won't be able to come with me to my appointment!  Hoping the hospital will let my best friend come in with me. 

• Had my appointment with the consultant today, absolutely lovely doctor and the top consultant in the hospital.  He did a biopsy there and then, not the most comfortable of procedures but thats the first bit over with. Now just got to wait for the results. Keeping everything crossed that its a clear result.  

Its been an incredibly stressful week as my lovely hubby was only allowed home on Monday and I now have to try to get him better.  Gradually getting him to eat a little more, small meals and small snacks seems to be the way to go.

• Hi @Garryswife. Good to hear your consultation went well. The waiting will be be awful but we've all been there so if you want to chat come back here.

In the meantime look after your hubby as it's going to be his turn to look after you soon!

Hus, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

• Hi Garryswife, I’m a new member here and have just been reading threads, I was wondering if you’d had your result yet. I had my biopsy on 3rd November and had my result last Friday. 

• No result yet!! Hoping to hear either today or tomorrow. What was your result if you do not mind me asking?

• Cancerous cells were found, and it’s grade 1. The doctor told me I’d need an MRI of the pelvis and abdomen, and a chest x ray, so that they could “stage” it. Grades and stages are different, I wasn’t aware before this. I had a phone call last Friday afternoon (same day as results) to book me in, and I had both the MRI and chest x ray on Tuesday (2 days ago). So now I have the waiting game again till these results. When results come in, they have to be presented at a departmental meeting before patients are told. At this hospital, that meeting happens on a Friday morning, so any results that come in after that would have to go to the next Friday morning meeting. With my first lot of results, it went over the two weeks they said so I phoned the secretary of the person who did my hysteroscopy. She told me my results had missed the last meeting and made me a phone appointment for the day after. For these tests this week they don’t think my results will be back in time for tomorrow’s meeting and think it’s more likely I’ll hear next Friday 3rd December. For me I’m the sort of person that likes to know everything so I ask lots of questions! All the best with yours.