Newly diagnosed.

• 5 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Recently diagnosed with womb cancer. Had an MRI and chest x-ray last Friday. The waiting is the worst thing. I have mild depression and anxiety already and the waiting makes everything seem worse. Must admit I fell apart for the 1st week or so. Today is the 1st day I've been able to read the information on this site. The doctors meet on a Thursday so I just missed last week's meeting so have to wait till this Thursday then wait for someone to contact me with an appointment to discuss treatments etc. I'm leaning towards a hysterectomy if offered as at the moment I just want to get rid. I'm in the menopause so thinking I don't need it so take it away. Keep feeling intense panic, nausea and it's really set my ibs off. 

• Hi Spaniel mum,

Sorry you find yourself here.

I can remember waves of sickness coming over me before the operation. I couldn't wait to get rid of the womb, either. I found keeping myself busy was the best thing. I made meals for the freezer as I knew I wouldn't feel like cooking. Do all the household jobs that you can't do after the operation like cleaning windows, gardening, anything that involves bending or stretching. You won't be doing that for a while.

Good luck xxxx

• Hi Spaniel mum, 

I totally feel your anxiety. I am in just the same situation, albeit a couple or so weeks further along the conveyor belt! I had mri , X-ray just the same, was discussed as all ladies in our situation are at the mdt meeting to discuss a plan. I was and to be honest to a certain extent, still am numb, feeling as though it is happening to and about someone else, like floating above and looking down on me! Really surreal. I saw the consultant who booked surgery for a hysterectomy for me which is a week tomorrow, just typing this makes me feel sick, I am beyond terrified. Like yourself, I am in menopause,I no longer ‘need’ my womb, and if this surgery can cure this cancer, then we are in a very fortunate position that this can and is many many times achieved.  I suffer and have done now for above 20 years with chronic clinical depression and anxiety, so can totally relate how you are feeling, there really isn’t a word to express what this worry does to our existing condition when it’s already at its peak. I am coping by the support I am receiving on this community, reading other ladies’ stories really does make you feel not so alone, even though it is a virtual group, I feel comforted as though I am talking with friends. There is a lot of information I totally agree given to us all at once, and I would advise take it in bits, not consumed all at once. It’s as though we are learning a new language in a crash course and taking an exam  within a matter of weeks! We will get through this spaniel mum, goodness knows what this lesson in life this is to teach us, no doubt once out the other side we will be able to shed more light on that with a clearer mind! I am in self isolation now as my surgery is next week, which as an over thinker isn’t good, I am trying to keep as busy as possible, distraction wherever possible, so if you need a chat, I’m around. Take care, love Emm xxx

• Hi and a warm welcome to our spot in the Online Community. We all agree here then endless waiting for tests then scans then results is the pits. The panic and nausea is normal as this is a scary time.

You'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies here who have all been exactly where you are now. A possibility of cancer diagnosis brings all sorts of stress and fears and if anyone can hold your hand and reassure you we will. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride. The ride no-one wants to get on.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it invaluable on my journey. 

Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful for when you have surgery.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thank you x yeah we are on this journey together.  I've been watching a lot of TV and films and playing games on my tablet. My other half, mum and work colleagues have been fab, taking my mind off it all. My daughter hasn't said anything as she doesn't know really what to say, I suppose it's like that for a lot of family and friends. Good luck with you op x here if you need a chat also x take care.