Newly diagnosed

• 7 replies
  • 86 subscribers

I have just been diagnosed with womb cancer after Post menopausal bleeding on and off for a few months I went to Dr's she did a sample smear sent it off on fast track within a week I had applied at Winchester Hospital gynecology they were amazing so nice, had an internal with camera and biopsy,  7 days later I phoned up as I'd not heard, I then got an early morning appointment to hear the bad news, thanks to the Dr's secretary for finding my results on the computer! If I hadn't phoned how much longer would I wait, I was worried, now waiting for mri scan then a hysterectomy, so they tell me, still worried, my dad my brother both had cancer and died, will this be me?. Worried.

• hi popsysmum its always such a shock to get the diagnosis but i hope i can allay your fears a little. endo cancer has one of the best survival rates because it presents with symptoms early on. you acted quickly instead of waiting therefore youve given yourself the best possible chance. type 1 the common one is slow growing and often hysterectomy is all thats required. just as an example i had symptoms for 3 years before diagnosis missed as i was dealing with another cancer. everyone fears the worst its only natural but you will find this forum really helpful and supportive. try not to jump the gun and just concentrate on  one thing at a time. kate x

• Hi

I was diagnosed two weeks ago. I had had symptoms for about six months. Biopsies kept coming back negative . Obviously I was really worried about the time scale, I am having hysterectomy in October. I have been diagnosed Stage 1 and Grade 1. Hoping that I still get the same diagnosis after hysterectomy. 
    It is devastating to get this bad news. I don’t know what to say to make you feel better but this site is really supportive. 
    It is easier when you know what you are dealing with. 
    Hugs and best wishes to you. Take care. X

• Hi and a warm welcome to our spot in the Online Community. The speed at which they're reacting is the what used to be the norm which we're slowly getting back to. I naively thought when I was put on the 2 week wait pathway it'd be from calling my GP to seeing a Consultant all the tests, scans having been done. I spoke to my GP on 3rd June and had my hysterectomy on 17th September 2020 so about 3 1/2 months but smack bang in the middle of a pandemic! 

Our cancer is slow growing and hormone fed (oestrogen) so worry too much though I'm sad to read you lost both your brother and Dad to cancer. I'm the first person in my biological family to have had cancer so it doesn't necessarily follow. I've never had children so basically became a oestrogen producing factory and being a little overweight gave it what it wanted to feed on!

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it invaluable on my journey. 

Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful for when you have surgery.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thanks I thought i had left it a little late kept hoping it was a late menopause as looked up my symptoms it started in Jan but my husband was ill then so put it down to stress wish I'd gone to gp earlier.

Stupid me

• I have MRI scan on sat what a lot of forms to fill out they emailed them to me

So scared

• Have mri on sat I waited about 8 mts till I did something about it, wish I'd have gone sooner, but I can't turn the clock back now

• Hi , that's strange, it's the second time today I've read about form filling - I didn't do any! Perhaps as all my tests, scans took place right in the middle of lockdown it was deemed safer for them to do the form filling.

Big hugs, Barb x

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett