Hi

• 4 replies
  • 88 subscribers

I was  informed 3 weeks ago I had stage 1A uterus cancer. Had to self isolate and had  a  laparoscopic hysterectomy with bilateral salpingectomy procedure on Monday, home on Wednesday. Feeling ok, bit sore, tearful today and constipated. Any advice regarding constipation would be gratefully appreciated.Will  be getting an update on any further  treatment required next week. 

• Hi Mindfulme,

I had my operation 4 years ago, so am well recovered! I also was 1A, and needed no further treatment. I was pre warned  about constipation, and my daughter advised me to get some Movical. Its a stool softener and very gentle. The hospital supplied me with Senakot but I know I get horrendous pain with that, so never used it. The first time it hurt, but after that it got better and I only ever used one sachet. I found a walk each day helped me, gradually increasing the amount. Hope this helps. xxx

• Hi and welcome to our spot in the Online Community. Good to hear you had a laparoscopic hysterectomy on Monday and home on Wednesday. I also suffered badly with constipation and trapped wind after my op. I had taken Dulcoease before I went in for the op- did make me feel a little queasy and was given Movicol and senna tablets afterwards by the hospital. I'd also tried Normacol - they're all stool softeners.

You're bound to feel sore and a little tearful, you've had to come to terms that you were diagnosed with cancer just 3 weeks ago and you've already had a major op so don't worry, let it all out, we'll send you virtual hugs. We've all been in the same place. Just rest and as says, take a little walk each day, you'll be amazed how much that aids recovery. 

Come back and let us know how the update next week goes. If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Mindfulme 

I am so pleased your operation went ok, and you had the laparoscopic procedure, which seems to be the better for recovery. I am very much behind you, I have my mri on Tuesday, and have just received my appointment with the consultant on Wednesday, which I am absolutely dreading! It’s all getting a bit real, and moving quicker, and it’s so good to be able to speak with ladies who have or are going through similar things.  All they can tell me following biopsy is stage 1 until I have the mri, and they will decide which method surgery will be, and which hospital I will have to go to, gosh, it takes my breath just thinking about it!

im sure your well on the way to feeling much better, the way you are feeling sounds very common from what I’ve read of others. You take good care and lots of time, get help whenever you can, and any pampering offered accept it! I am sending the biggest of hugs and positivity to you, and hope you get great news at your follow up next week. Lots of love Emm x

• Hi Emm, you say  your dreading your appointment  with your consultant. If you are lucky you will have someone who is considerate but matter of fact.. To them it is just another days work, they are dispassionate and therefore can explain clearly what they are going to do. My consultant was lovely, we had quite a few jokes with each other, and after my op he personally phoned my husband to say it had gone well.  So I hope you get a good one!

Mindfulme, good news that you have had your op and are starting your recovery now. Yes, trapped wind after keyhole surgery is not nice, and if you are getting constipated you need to get that sorted as quickly as possible as you don’t want to be straining. Your GP Should be able to prescribe something for that and there are quite a few over the counter remedies, get someone to ask the pharmacist if yo7 can’t get hold of your GP, you don’t want to let it go on for too long.

Viv x