Diagnosed Thursday - a bit befuddled

• 7 replies
  • 88 subscribers

Hi all I was just diagnosed on Thursday with stage 1 which in a way was a relief after the long wait for the biopsy results . I seem ok so far, mainly just logistical concerns re when I will have the hysterectomy (only treatment offered) My main concern is what and when to tell some people - will tell line manager and colleagues at work but my partner has a number of mental health issues and is often suicidal - I really dont want to send him over the top . So far I have said I am down for the hysterectomy due to the fibroids and 'pre cancerous cells' - which is a lie !  Oldest friend told the same as she is mega health phobic and parents in their 90s (and live down south - I'm in Edinburgh) Mainly what i am wondering is how long you are usually in hospital and how long the recovery - I have quite a few other health problems so i expect it will be a bit longer for me but an idea of others experiences would be great you seem a v supportive and knowledgeable bunch (been lurking) 

• Hi and welcome to our spot in the Online Community. It's good to read you've been lurking so you know here you'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies who have all been exactly where you are now. A possibility of cancer diagnosis brings all sorts of stress and fears and if anyone can hold your hand and reassure you we will. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride. The ride no-one wants to get on.

If you have laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery you'll normally go home the next day. Recovery is very quick as long as you remember no lifting. no bending and take things slowly - listen to your body! I'm not a confined to bed type and was up the next morning walking up and down the ward. I actually stayed in a couple of extra nights, 1st because the surgeon didn't want me going on the long journey home 2.5 hrs. The next day Ihad trapped wind and constipation and didn't leave hospital until sorted out.

There's varying reactions when you use the "C" word, people either can't cope with it and drift away or smother you! If your partner has issues perhaps keep things as you've said. If you're stage 1 it's very likely no adjuvant treatment will be needed. 

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it invaluable on my journey. 

Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two or three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, Barb xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thanks so much - been reading a lot more and all of your advice is really good - will no doubt be on here all the time badgering everyone with more questions ! Thanks Makes such a difference to knwo there are people out there

• You're very welcome! You're not alone in this and it makes all the difference!

Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi, i also had grade 1 cancer, but didnt find out til after my hysterectomy, which was initially required for fibroids and heavy bleeding. As far as i can tell, most people get over the surgery quite quickly. I see lots of posts on different forums, with women logging how much better they feel soon afterwards. Im quite sure im the exception to the rule, as am 59 and am very overweight, but recovery is taking a lot longer for me. Its over 5 months since my surgery, and am still recovering. Improving, but a way to go yet. I dont regret surgery, as its a great feeling to be told the cancer has been removed, but i didnt realize recovery would take so long, especially as it was laparoscopic surgery. My energy levels are still low, and i get pain that has me considering if i may have the beginning of a prolapse. Gp is referring me for pelvic floor physio so hopefully that may help. I know ill get there, as i am improving, but just dont want you to have too high expectations for recovery. Yes, lots of people get over it soon enough, but guess we all heal differently so give yourself time, it will happen at your own pace.  I wish you all the best, we are all with you. 

• O thank you A062 thats really helpful. I actually expect i will be in the long haul category too as i have umpteen different health conditions so do usually take longer than the average - buts its so useful to have a ball park idea for what others find - then I'll double it ! Actually i partly wanted to know for work but actually they have been brilliant and said in all honestly they don't expect me back until well after Christmas (and I don't even know when I have the op yet ) which gives me some wiggle room . Like you I am 59 and officially due to retire july next year so fingers crossed I can take some leave to work shorter hours even when i do get back. This group is brilliant and I wish you well with your recovery too. I used to work with physios and they are great for that kind of thing so I hope it will make a difference. 

• Hi Sangje,

I too was diagnosed on Thursday, just awaiting mri and ct scan to check the grade and any spread. It’s a frightening time for us all isn’t it? I really understand your fears, at present I feel completely numb like time has stood still for me but life around me is still in full motion. I am around anytime you feel you need to talk, I am one very frightened woman, but knowing we have support is something w3 must take as our positive. Sending lots of hugs to you, love Emm

• I had my open total hysterectomy done on 13th July and I'm still struggling with fatigue and stomach issues. I eat then within an hour or less I get awful stomach pain and diarrhoea. I do have other health issues unfortunately. I have non alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver, fibromyalgia, type 2 diabetes and osteoarthritis. I stupidly left the hospital two days after the op but I couldn't cope with the pain. Because of the cirrhosis I can't take painkillers as they're processed through the liver. I was readmitted for another two days and had an abdo CT because my bowel and bladder kept going into spasm. My surgeon said it was because I had previously had two caesarean sections and there was a lot of adhesions plus she needed to get the whole uterus out without damaging it as it contained a leiomyosarcoma ( a very rare and very aggressive cancer in a fibroid inside the uterus) I am seeing the sarcoma team at the Christie on Tuesday when they will tell me if I need any adjuvant treatment. Last year I was admitted to hospital 8 times between September and December with internal bleeding caused by the cirrhosis. My longest stay was 9 days when I was on a drip for the entire time. I am heartily sick of hospitals. It was made worse by no visitors. I was told over the phone that I had cancer which wasn't ideal.

Please don't leave the hospital too soon as tempting as it is. I couldn't even get out of bed without help! Deb