Having robotic op

• 8 replies
  • 71 subscribers

Hi, I’m 78, overweight and live alone (I’m a widow). I’m having my op done by robot on 6 July I hope. Not worried as I broke my leg in January and after a week in hospital and managed on my own  with my leg in plaster for a further 6 weeks. Family, friends and neighbours will help I know but I’m super independent and that’s what I’ll hate most. It’s all happened so fast as the GP I was seeing was treating me for kidney infections since last October. Saw a different GP in April who got me urgent appointments when Level 3 womb cancer was diagnosed. Feeling positive.

• Hi  and welcome to the group. There's a lovely bunch of supportive ladies here who've all had the same shock diagnosis, come to terms with it and kicked the alien invader into touch! Thank goodness you saw a different GP who got you urgent appointments.

I saw your answer to another post and wondered if you can't get to examine your fruit and veg personally is there a local who can deliver to you. I know where I live when lock-down started last year a local fruit & veg shop made deliveries for a modest charge and their produce was brilliant with various "Mixed boxes" might be worth a ring.

I myself had laparoscopic surgery last year and recovery was very quick, mostly discomfort when getting out of bed. I was soon back to walking, gentle to start with and got away with not hoovering for months.

Have a look over previous posts like What to take in my overnight bagmight be helpful.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer I found it invaluable in my journey. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thanks so much. I’ll keep checking on the great advice on here. 

• Hi Justmeoap. I had stage 1a womb cancer, treated with a TLH and BSO in 2017 and I also live alone, so I often jump in here when I read that another woman is facing surgery and living alone. As you have handled the broken leg episode, it sounds like you are pretty resourceful. I was advised not to lift anything heavier than a cup of tea for the first 6 weeks after surgery, so I will just list the things I needed help for.

carrying the shopping

getting stuff out of awkward cupboards (I put kitchen stuff out handy, got useful paperwork out onto the dining table and put my overcoat in the hall).

cleaning the bath

changing and laundering bedclothes

hoovering

taking the rubbish out

There are less essential things like cleaning the windows, which I only do once in a blue moon anyway, so I did some of those jobs before I went in to hospital. I also positioned chairs strategically so I could e.g. sit down in the kitchen.

I was very fatigued at first despite being an athletic type. I couldn't believe how removing a comparatively small bit of me could leave me so drained. Ask your GP or MacMillan if you can get any help at home. I didn't qualify (too young) so I hired a home help as required and various friends helped out too. Good luck, post any questions on here and someone will be able to advise.

• Thanks. That’s very useful. I’ve filled my freezer today. My son and his wife will call often I think and friends and neighbours have offered to help. I’m thinking of getting a home help anyway, it’s a bit worrying only lifting such a small thing but I know you have to do exactly what they tell you. Luckily I have lots of ‘light’ hobbies such as sewing (illmiss using my machine), jigsaws, reading and wasting my time on YouTube.

it sounds as if you have recovered well. I’m glad about that and thanks again.

• Hi Justmeoap,

Sorry you find yourself here. I had keyhole surgery, done by my consultant, and couldn't believe how quickly I recovered at age 72. I still had to take it easy (I had no wish to go back to hospital). I had a problem with my bladder afterwards, but few people seem to have that. I can remember gently weeding my garden in Week 1, by kneeling. Bending was out for a few weeks!!! I ironed sitting down. I did have a husband to do most things, but I certainly didn't do nothing!!! Your body will tell you when you need to rest. As for pain, I found breaking my shoulder a few years ago far more painful !!!!  I should think you can still use your sewing machine providing someone lifts it up for you, and providing you are comfortable. I found sitting fine, but not bending.  Good luck xxx

• Thanks for the uplifting advice. I’m using my sewing machine today whilst locked down and still strong enough to move it and I’ve got some mini wheels coming so I can slide it in front of me. Arranging kitchen so plates on counter. I have a table and chair in kitchen and my friend has just reminded me I have a perching stool from when I broke my leg in January so that might be useful. Sorry about your bladder problems, the cancer was only found when I was referred to a urologist and he passed me on to a gynae consultant. Was hoping this op would improve these problems. Good luck and thanks again xx

• Hi Justmeoap,

I could get things out of the kitchen cupboards, but I normally have a caravan step in the kitchen because I am not very tall. Therefore I wasn't stretching!! By the way, I had no problem going upstairs!! The bladder problems settled down after a couple of weeks. I think it was badly bruised.xx