5 weeks post op

• 3 replies
  • 85 subscribers

Hi all,

Well I am 5 weeks post op, I had a total hysterechtomy including fallopian tubes, ovaries and pelvic lymph nodes removal. I had stage 1B grade 3 cancer in my womb, and although I'm doing really well right now, I am due to have chemo and radio therapy at some point soon. I am currently waiting for the chemo team to contact me so I don't know yet what exactly is going to happen or how many sessions I will need.

I am very lucky because I have amazing family and friends around me, and I am talking to people alot, but at the same time (maybe selfishly) I am starting to feel a bit down because its just a waiting game at the moment. 

I have up to now tried to find the silver lining each time I have been to a consultation. So when I was told my biopsy returned with a positive for cancer and that I needed a hysterechtomy, my positive outlook was that I won't have to deal with the pains I had been suffering anymore after the op. 

Then when I was told I needed to have chemotherapy I decided the positive would be that if I lose my hair then I could hopefully take a break from having to rid myself of the facial hair I have hated for years. (I have known I had polycycstic ovaries for a long time and have had facial hair growing as a result since I was around 25 years old.)

I know that I need to have patience and that I'm sure things will start moving along again soon, but I can't help but feel like I'm a bit in limbo right now and it's really starting to get to me. I just feel helpless and unable to think sometimes because I have questions that can't be answered till the chemo team ring me and I'm sometimes struggling to sleep coz it's always there in my head constantly going round and round with no relief from it. 

I have started listening to meditation music at night and that helps sometimes when I struggle to get to sleep.

Has anyone else had this feeling? And if so how did you manage to pick yourself up in your low times? 

Long post but thankyou for reading. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I’m 5 weeks post op too. It’s a tricky limbo sort of time. I’m a lot better than I was but still not really better. And some people seem shocked about the cancer diagnosis (what did they think I was having the operation for????) Others seem to want to celebrate which I find very odd. 

I think you will feel better when you start doing something towards your treatment. In the meantime do something positive everyday. Or something you might not be able to do when having treatment. Best of luck

• Thankyou Charsmum,

I had that aswell where people were shocked about the cancer. You see their faces drop when you tell them and end up feeling like you want to give them a hug and reassure them that everything will be fine, (even though its you going through it all.)

I haven't had anyone want to celebrate just yet though, my family and friends were almost holding their breath waiting to be told whether I needed any more treatments after surgery. 

Best of luck to you too in the future. 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the Online Community. We've got a lovely group of supportive ladies here who've all been in the same situation as you are now. The endless waiting for answers when you've got questions bouncing around your head is exhausting. Stop fretting , easy to say, impossible to do - they'll come back soon with a treatment plan and although we don't want to have to go through more treatments, once you know the timetable it'll be so much easier.

Don't forget, write those questions down as they'll totally go out of your head when you talk to them!

As for low times, we've all gone through the highs and lows but I found coming on here, posting and getting reassurance did me no end of good. This time last year I'd only just had my ultrasound scan and I'm now shortly to come up to my third trimester check-up. All the op & adjuvant treatment a distant memory.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

Sending you welcoming hugs, Barb xxHugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett