New

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Hi, I'm 45 years old and was diagnosed with womb cancer 5-6 weeks ago.

I had been bleeding in between periods, everyone kept saying don't worry its just perimenopause. Then in Feb this year a bleed heavily and continuously.

I was sent to the gynaecologist who predicted perimenopause but the examination with the camera placed in my womb revealed polyps so the Dr took a biopsy but was still sure that I would only have to come into hospital to have them removed. Well it turns out its cancer and I go into Hospital on Tuesday for a hysterectomy.

I'm also living on my own and don't know many people in my area as just moved back to Scotiand after living in England for 19 years.

• I won't be sad to see the back of my womb as its been nothing but trouble, painful periods a miss carriage band pmt, now this. I've never had children.

• Hi sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis wishing you luck on your journey and good luck for Tuesday xx

• Hello Heather, I’m sorry to hear what you are going through but much of the anxiety and waiting is behind you now.  You’ve got an op date and that is a really positive thing, so just look forwards. My relationship with my womb sounds very similar to yours. I had a hysterectomy 3 weeks ago tomorrow and I’m relieved to see it gone. My recovery has been far easier than i expected. I spent the two weeks before keeping busy and getting sorted out for my return when i knew I wouldn’t be able to do much and would be confined to the house, so just keep busy with a check list of jobs, washing up to date, food sorted, books in, anything heavy moved around before you go. I found it helpful having a few Lucozade sport non fizzy in the house, i even took two to hospital with me and was grateful for them. Even though I’m trying to lose weight it was my surgeon who suggested them as they aid recovery and minimise dehydration. I also had sennokot in the house which i used the first night, some use them for longer, but i was pleased i had them in advance.  I was given lots of advice when i first posted, so have a read through that. This is a lovely friendly online community that lots of us drop in and out of so there will always be someone around to chat to if you have any concerns. Good luck for Tuesday xx

• Hi Heather W. I also live alone and had a hysterectomy (a TLH and BSO) a few years ago at the age of 56. I second the advice to get all your housework, shopping etc up to date before your operation as you will be unable to do much physically for a few weeks after surgery - I was told not to lift anything heavier than a cup of tea for the first few weeks, and was not able to drive. Check with your insurance company and the hospital regarding when you can drive again. I was also very fatigued for a long time. That said, I am fine now. Some helpful friends came to visit and stay over now and then in the first 3 weeks or so. One brought me home from hospital and stayed overnight. I think that initial supervision is important while you recover. General anaesthetic makes me a bit woolly-headed for a few days so I left a note on my dining table Do Not Make Any Financial Decisions For The First Few Days. Regarding housework etc, I got a home help from an agency, a few hours a week, for the first few weeks. She was so useful for carrying my shopping, taking the rubbish out, hoovering and awkward jobs like cleaning the bath, changing the bedding.

I would recommend you also contact MacMillan to see if they have any volunteers or support groups local to you, and look online for cancer support groups in your area.

I felt a bit the same about my womb... years of trouble!

• Hi Heather W and welcome to our little spot in the Online Community. Sorry I wasn't around to welcome you sooner, had a couple of days of hospital trips for hubby. Here you'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies who have all been exactly where you are now. A possibility of cancer diagnosis brings all sorts of stress and fears and if anyone can hold your hand and reassure you we will. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride. The ride no-one wants to get on.

Are you having keyhole surgery? If you look over previous posts you'll see one "What to take in my overnight bag" that could be helpful. Tuesday will come round in no time and the waiting and anxiety is almost behind you. If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

As wrote use the links below and see if you can get some support locally. 

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer I found it invaluable in my journey. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett