New hew, having Hysteroscopy 22nd June

• 8 replies
  • 88 subscribers

Hi everyone, hope you all as OK as you can be. I've just joined. Been having lots of test the last few months as I have anaemia and high platelet count. Doctor sent me for an ultrasound of womb as I have also been having spotting/pink discharge/clear discharge with streaks of blood in a lot of the time. I had the scan last Friday and they found something in my womb. Consultant also said he could feel it when pressing on my belly. I asked him how big it was and he was very vague, just said big enough to feel it through tummy. (I have a very big tummy). Anyway, he said it could be fibroids or cancer and has referred me for a hysteroscopy.  I'm really scared about this, as all this does point to cancer, with the aneamia and high platelet count as well as something being found on the scan. And I've read about the Hysteroscopy being horrendous! Trying not to think about it, buts it hard not too.

• Hi  and welcome to our little corner of the Online Community. Here you'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies who have all been exactly where you are now. A possibility of cancer diagnosis brings all sorts of stress and fears and if anyone can hold your hand and reassure you we will. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride. The ride no-one wants to get on.

As you'll have been told a hysteroscopy is a procedure where basically a camera will take a look around your womb. Biopsies are normally taken at the same time. I had have mine done under General Anaesthetic, Epidural as they couldn't even insert a virginal speculum without pain as I had a stenosed cervix. Some ladies have said it's no worse than childbirth (I haven't had children) others said very painful. Normally the advice is take a couple of paracetamol an hour before the procedure but if you've a low pain threshold, push for it to be done under GA. 

It’s always helpful  others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

You say trying not to think about it - that's virtually impossible! If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer I found it invaluable in my journey. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi, thanks for replying. I have Fibromyalgia so feel pain differently to others. Sometimes I can scratch my arm and it'll  feel like I've been hit with a baseball bat. I don't think I'll cope with this procedure. How should I push for a general aneastetic? What should I say without being fobbed off?

• Hi . I'm sure if you tell them you suffer with Fibromyalgia they'll do the procedure under General/epidural. I think you'll really have to emphasise how bad the pain can be.

Good luck, fingers crossed, B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hello Tma, i had a hysteroscopy a few weeks ago, it wasn’t pleasant and i approached it fairly naively, having not read anything about it beforehand other than the NHS procedure leaflet that accompanied my appointment letter and I’m grateful for that as reading others accounts would have worried me more, although some accounts say it has been relatively easy, so there is a mixture out there. I took paracetamol an hour before as instructed in the leaflet. The team i had were really lovely. As pain kicked in, i was offered gas and air, which really helped and it was instant pain relief and it was enough. It was all over fairly quickly, including camera and biopsy. Having been through it, if i had to have the same procedure again, I would not choose a general anaesthetic for several reasons; the recovery of the GA takes longer, its a bigger challenge for the body, I’d imagine a GA appointment will take much longer to arrange as it requires an anaesthetist at a time following Covid when they are in demand, and presumably a theatre slot, whereas my hysteroscopy was done in a clinic room at a weekly clinic so i didnt wait long at all for that appointment. For me waiting for the appointments was the worst part, waiting for results and to know what was happening. I was spoken to all through my hysteroscopy and the nurse practiser discussed her findings with me once i was dressed and even though my biopsy result 10 days later revealed early endometrial cancer i was grateful to be able to chat about her suspicions straight after the procedure when my brain was still sharp and not fuzzy from a GA. if it was me I’d be discussing my fears with them, finding out what pain relief they can offer and then making a decision with them about your options and how you wish to proceed. Good luck. Xx

• Hi Tma

Although the procedure isn't pleasant, the team supporting you will work with you on it.

The first time I had a hysteroscopy, I went into full on contractions for a few hours (20 years ago) so this time I warned them and they gave me gas and air, an anti-spasmodic and tramadol which made it much easier and less painful.  I was out of there in less than an hour compared with last time when they had to admit me for the night.

Warn the team before you get there and they will help you with the process.  I would not recommend GA as it takes so long to recover from it compared to the LA.

You can do this too!

Antonia x

• Hi again. Should mention although I was expecting to have the procedure by GA they persuaded me to have it done by epidural, still theatre and anaesthetist but I was awake throughout - had to wait about 4 hours for feeling to return to legs etc before I could be discharged. I was terrified by the idea of epidural, I'd read the negative reports whereas in reality it was easy. The reason for the switch was explained as it was done in a Green Hospital  (100% covid free). By having it done by epidural the air in the theatre remained safer than air aspirated when removing tubes etc.

All the best, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

• Hi Tina, I also have fibromyalgia and also non alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver. So I am used to being in pain all the time. I had a biopsy which was incredibly painful and booked for a hystoscopy but it was cancelled the day before I was due to have it done. The team had a regional MDT with the Christie hospital which is a famous cancer hospital. I was scared at this news as I'd been told it could be a fibroid. It seems that it's a cancerous fibroid which is quite rare apparently. I'm having a total hysterectomy in the next couple of weeks. Deb

• Tma, like you I've just joined this chat forum in the past couple of days. I've already found the people here lovely and welcoming. I had my hysterectomy almost 6 weeks ago now I had a laprescopic one (dont know if I've spelt it right). I was diagnosed with grade one endometrial cancer and they caught it in its very early stages

Im sorry your going through this but you have taken a massive step in by joining this group, keep posting or phone the macmillan support line they are honestly amazing and just listen to you.

I wish you all the best hun big hug and kisses xxx