Hi everyone I am new here

• 7 replies
  • 85 subscribers

Hi everyone 

I have been reading lots of posts and stories so decided to jump in and tell mine.

I am 62 post menopausal for  11 years and over weight but towards the end of menstruation had very heavy bleeding and was treated with a  hysteroscopy by GA where they discovered and removed a polyp.I was also originally told I had a fibroid which accounted for the bleeding.Transexamic acid was useless and left me rolling around in agony and by the time a Mirena coil was fitted I was already nearly at the menopause and so relieved  when it all stopped.

Fast forward to now and noticed some spotting about 5 weeks ago and was given an urgent referral from the doctor all over the phone.I had an ultrasound and hysteroscopy within 2 weeks where a large polyp was found and after taking  biopsies of  the polyp and womb lining so began the dreaded  two week wait for results.

Two weeks to the day I was leaving swimming in the pouring rain and answered my phone to be told I needed to be sent for more tests as a malignancy had been found.I was so shocked as I was sure I would just be going back in to have the polyp removed.I had a CT  scan and MRI Monday and Tuesday this week and was today given a consultant appointment for next Thursday.
My question is does this timescale seem really fast.Obviously we all want this over and done with but amongst my other worries and anxieties I now think is it really serious and so they are rushing me through.

I am not very tech savvy so forgive me if I post in the wrong place.

Learning about others going through similar anxieties and emotions certainly helps.I am so glad I found this group.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to our little corner of the Online Community. Here you'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies who have all been exactly where you find yourself now. A possibility of cancer diagnosis brings all sorts of stress and fears and if anyone can hold your hand and reassure you we will. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride. The ride no-one wants to get on.

Now we're coming bit by bit out of Covid restrictions your timescale seems to be as it should be. It's good you've read some posts on here. If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you to put your mind at rest a little.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer I found it invaluable in my journey. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Menorca,

Sorry you find yourself here. The timescale shouldn't worry you unduly. They are supposed to see you soon. I think a lot has been delayed during Covid, so its good you are being seen quickly. I am nearly 4 years post op, but had  two scares with being called early for an appointment. The first was 2 weeks before the date they gave me for the operation. Could I go in 2 days time for the operation? I had no bag packed, no pads, nothing. That was then cancelled as they had an emergency!! I then had the operation at my original time, and was awaiting my results when they phoned me to go to hospital the next day. I immediately thought the worst. It turned out the consultant was going on holiday and wanted to tell me there was no need of more treatment before she went !!!.(I think she was Polish) Just be prepared for anything, and try not to worry. xxxxx

• Thanks for your reply.I always over think things and this has helped.

• Thank you for your kind words and welcome.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Menorcaa 456. I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer exactly one year ago. I had a call telling me I had cancer and could I come into the hospital in an hour to see the consultant as he was waiting. He then booked me for a CT scan three days later and booked me in for a hysterectomy 2 weeks later. I worried like you are that is was so quick.  In hindsight I realised they have a short timescale they work to and I was very grateful. They really know what they are doing. Take all the support you can and very best wishes.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Menorca456,I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer exactly one year ago. I had a call from the hospital to tell me I had cancer and could I go to the hospital in an hour where the consultant was waiting for me. A CT scan was booked 3 days later and a hysterectomy 2 weeks later. Like yourself it all seemed so fast I was very worried. In hindsight I realised they have a short timescale they try to work to and I was very grateful I didn’t have to wait. I was very very anxious but things went very well and they really know what they are doing. Sending you very very best wishes. 

• Thank you for your reply.

I am pleased you were seen so quickly and I hope you have recovered well.