Hysteroscopy

• 13 replies
  • 88 subscribers

Hello 

I am awaiting my appointment for a hysteroscopy after an internal scan for post menopausal bleeding.

Can I ask your advice about this procedure please?

At the moment I haven’t told anyone and am hoping to go by myself and drive myself home afterwards.  Will this be ok or is the. Procedure painful under local anaesthetic?

I just feel I want to get my head around a possible cancer diagnosis before I tell my family.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

thank you 

• Hi Morwenna,

I didn't find the procedure too bad, without any anaesthetic, but I have had two children by vaginal delivery and I think that might make a difference. I think the worst bit was the first examination where they put a camera in to take a picture. It was only a second being uncomfortable.The actual biopsy didn't hurt at all, just felt weird. I could have driven myself, but can't drive so hubby took me.

I think you are wise not telling anyone until there is something to tell. If you do have to have an operation, that in itself isn't bad if you have keyhole surgery. Others will be along soon with their advice. All the best. xxx   

• Hi Mowenna, I had my first hystoscapthy after unusual  post menopause bleeding without  any anesthetic, I had took ibrouprofen an hour before. The lady consultant said she would stop if it was to painfull,  she was just putting the camera in not taking a biopsy. It wasnt pleasant but not really to painfull.  She diagnosed a small polyp, she asked if I was happy for this to be removed the same way at a later date.. A few weeks later I  went for a myosure procedure  to remove  the polyp,  this time I  had local anesthetic in my cervix and though uncomfortable not to painful.  Both times my husband took me but to be honest I would have been capable of driving myself.

I would agree about not telling people before you know anything, I  was really shocked to find I had cancer as when I had the polyp removed as  they didn't  think it would be anything to worry about. My only treatment was a keyhole hysterectomy as I  was graded at stage 1A grage 1.

I hope everything goes well for you. 

Carolina61
  • Hello Morwenna, it is a an anxious and worrying time, i am a few weeks further on from you, having had a hysteroscopy a few weeks ago. My husband drove me, dropped me off outside then picked me up and i was very pleased he did. By the time i got into the car, I was a bit shaky and sore and i was grateful for some hand holding. One of the nurses walked me to the door but they did ask if i felt ok to walk there. I don’t know your circumstances or how strong you are but all i can say is that I’m pleased I wasn’t on my own having to get to the car park and drive home. I went along very uninformed, which for me probably wasn’t a bad thing as i am a natural worrier. My leaflet said to take paracetamol and ibuprofen an hour before and I’m glad i did and suggest you do that.  I had a lovely team, there were 3 of them and i was told that two were there to do the procedure and the third was there to be with me. I guess that was my first warning. I was told that I could stop at any time if it became too painful but i was pretty determined to keep going as i just wanted it over and to know what was going on. It was very painful, really strong cramps, i was offered gas and air and was very grateful for it. I didnt have local anaesthetic so yours might be completely different. photos and biopsy were taken. After it was over i had to wait until i felt ready to stand, partly because of the gas and air. Then i sat quietly. I was told that it looked like there were suspicious cells which could be either pre cancerous or cancer and that was the first time that cancer was mentioned. It was a huge shock. Ten days later it was confirmed as cancer and I’m now in my last week before i have a hysterectomy. I think everyone’s experiences are very different but i had mild cramping and bleeding for the rest of the day and wouldn’t have wanted to drive. I hope it all goes well for you x

• Thank you for your reply,  it’s very encouraging.   I will think on for a while.  

wishing you well xx

• Than you for your reply, I do appreciate it. 

wishing you well xx

• Thank you for your reply and kindly sharing your experience.  I have no real idea whether I have a high or low Pain threshold,  if it hurts, it hurts!

i I have some thinking to do but I do appreciate your kindness.

wishing you well xx

• Hi Morwenna. I have had hysteroscopy twice. The first one, I was told it would be under general anaesthetic (maybe because I hadn't had any babies?) so the second time I asked for general anaesthetic again. I was quite happy to not know anything about it until it was all over. If you find it very tough remember that you can ask to have it done under a GA. They don't like to let you out unsupervised straight after a GA, so the first time my boyfriend collected me and stayed with me for a day or two. I was very tired and sleepy. The second time I was living alone so I had an overnight stay on a ward. The next morning I had a headache and also had quite a big bleed so I was glad to be on the ward with a nurse keeping an eye on me for a few hours. Good luck.

• Hi  and welcome to our little corner of the Online Community. Here you'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies who have all been exactly where you are now.

The jury's out on this debate about Hysteroscopy. Some ladies found it uncomfortable, others found it to be a barbaric procedure. Usually when they do a hysteroscopy they'll take biopsies at the same time which in effect it cutting little bits of you away. I don't think driving yourself would be a good idea.

In my own case, due to a stenosed cervix the nurse couldn't even insert the virginal speculum (smallest size) It became very obvious due to the pain I was in it wouldn't be viable therefore I had mine done a week or two late under general anaesthetic (epidural). Some have had the procedure done using gas and air but if I'd known then what I know now I'd insist on having it by GA. Mind you, I've never given birth so it might be a walk in the park compared to that - I wouldn't know.

A possibility of cancer diagnosis brings all sorts of stress and fears and if anyone can hold your hand and reassure you we will. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride. The ride no-one wants to get on.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer I found it invaluable in my journey. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx  

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hello and thank you for your reply. I apologise for not replying sooner but had some problems logging in,  I’m afraid me and technology don’t mix!!

My appointment is for tomorrow so at least I don’t have very long to wait.

Last night my two daughters started asking probing questions such as have I contacted my GP etc so they both know about about tomorrow and one will be accompanying me.  I have to admit to be glad of the support but truly wish I didn’t have to worry them.

So ladies, a very big thank you for your support and I will post again tomorrow.

I hope I can  offer you comfort at any time should you need it

My very best wishes to you 

Morwenna xx

• Hope it all goes well for you tomorrow, glad you have some support, sending a virtual hug X