Uterine Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 9 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Recently been diagnosed with endometrium adenocarcinoma, having a total hysterectomy & cervix removal surgery next week.  

Quite a shock as the only symptom was a slight pinkish bleed, stood out though as I’m post menopausal.  Excellent NHS fast track. But I’m so scared of the surgery & cancer Cry

•  Hi  and welcome to our little corner of the Online Community. Here you'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies who have all been exactly where you are now. A possibility of cancer diagnosis brings all sorts of stress and fears and if anyone can hold your hand and reassure you we will. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride. The ride no-one wants to get on.

If you read my profile/bio (Click on my username) you'll see my symptoms were exactly the same as yours. The shock was similar to being hit by a freight train. I was terrified of both the "C" word and the prospect of surgery of any kind. Now * months on it's a distant memory

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer I found it invaluable in my journey. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx Hugging 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MrsBJH

Thanks so much for replying as you know exactly how I’m feeling, I cried reading your story too.

will keep you updatedBlush

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MrsBJH

Thanks so much, feeling “not alone” anymore Neutral face

• Hi Don't worry, you're definitely not alone. I'm sure more of our lovely ladies will be along soon to welcome you. I couldn't have done without them!

We've all virtually held hands, mopped up tears and even had some laughs - we'll get to that bit later.

Big hugs, Barb xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi KathleenF, lm  sorry to hear about your diagnosis but you will find lots of lovely ladies hear to answer any questions no matter how silly they seem. I  too was diagnosed back in July 2019, you can read my story in my profile. The shock of being told you have cancer is absolutely awful,  I  felt like it was the end of my world, how was I going to manage. Once you have a plan for surgery etc things seem a bit better, though going through surgery is frightening, but in my case nowhere near as bad as I  feared. Nearly two years have gone by since my dianosis, I  have just had my 60th birthday and life is back to  as normal as possible during the pandemic.

I hope everything goes well for you, take care.

Carolina61
  • Hi Kathleen,

I was petrified before my operation at age 72. I was scared of the pain, my age, and how quickly I would heal. I had keyhole surgery and it was quite marvellous! The whole thing was not as painful as childbirth!! I healed well and quite quickly. The only other time I was in hospital for an operation was in my 20's to have my tonsils out. I remember it as being very painful to eat, and we were made to eat dry fish (which I stuffed in a tissue when the nurse wasn't looking!! ) Times are very different now. I was given a morphine drip for the pain initially,then paracetamol, and stopped all pain relief after 3 days so I could get the bowels moving. It was really not as bad as I had imagined it would be.

The trouble is with cancer you only ever hear the bad things about it. No-one ever tells you how many people survive it these days. My own husband has survived 14 years since his throat cancer, my daughter had breast cancer 8 years ago, and I am nearly 4 years from surgery. I'm sure you will be fine. xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi I’m 12 days post surgery. I had a vertical incision hysterectomy because there were access issues due to previous surgeries. I was told I’d be in for 6 days but they sent me home on Wednesday after I had it on the Monday! And I live on my own! I am using long lasting ibuprofen for nightime and paracetamol during the day. Had 12 of my 30+ staples out on Thursday with the rest hopefully next Wednesday.

Going out to walk the dog little and often. Finding not picking anything up more than a kilo tricky and can’t wait till I can drive again. Work keep sending things for me to do and have been signed off for 8 weeks. Had to reduce sachets for constipation but I do eat a lot of vegetables. Still shielding after coming out of hospital and just waiting for results of the biopsy which seems to take forever!

Good luck with it all

• Hi  and welcome to our spot in the Online Community. It's good to hear your making steady progress after your op, don't overdo it though.I would check with your insurer's about driving. Some say it's ok to drive when you doctor says ok, others are more picky & the last thing you'd want to do is invalidate your insurance. The ruling is if you can do an emergency stop but you wouldn't want to damage your tum with the seatbelt! I was lucky my car's an automatic but did find it harder in my hubby's manual.

We all agree the endless waiting can do your head in but if you want to chat, rant or a hand to hold we're here.

I'd point out firmly but gently you are on sick leave to your employer! They really try it on nowadays don't they!

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

Sending welcoming hugs, Barb xxHugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

• Sorry about the typos, trying to do this on an aged tablet is doing my head in! LOL

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum