New diagnosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 11 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hello everyone

A kind moderator pointed me here after an initial post.

My wife was diagnosed with endometrial cancer yesterday, and is having her MRI tomorrow to establish what stage she is at.

I guess many of you will have an understanding of the explosion of emotions we've ridden in the last 24 hours, and although I am not entirely sure why I've joined this forum, I had a strong compulsion to engage with others experiencing a similar experience.

Stereotypically, I am the emotive-talker, and my wife the stoic-silent-one, and so we're already responding very differently. Online forums aren't her thing, but I wanted to see if this was somewhere I could find support, encouragment, and a listening ear...

Anyway, I am glad this place exists, and thanks in advance for being there...

• Hi Wittgenstein,

Sorry you find yourself here on behalf of your wife. After supporting my husband through throat cancer 14 years before I had my womb cancer, I can honestly say its harder being the one looking on! And I believe womb cancer is one of the easier ones to treat. Certainly was in my case. I just needed a hysterectomy done by keyhole surgery. The pain was no more than a bad period. The worst bit for me was that my bladder refused to work properly for about a week afterwards, but settled down after that. I was back at the hospital getting checked 2 days after I got out!!!! 

I'm sure others will be along soon. Ask any questions. Someone or other will have been there and done it!!!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to NannyAnny

Thanks for responding so quickly, and sharing something of your own experience. It sounds like things were relatively positive for you, which is wonderful, and very encouraging to hear. Can I ask whether you made a full recovery?

On a personal front, I've found myself on the proverbial 'roller-coaster' of emotions. Feeling stunned, lethargic, tearful, full of hope, then full of fear. I am guessing this is all part of the journey?

Anyway, I am already glad I came here, as it's great to engage with people who lived through it, and are kind enough to share their stories.

Right. Off to get the fish and chips, and maybe have a drink or three with them!! Suddenly, the 'little things' are utterly ENORMOUS...

• Hi, Sounds a very good thing to do under the circumstances. I think until you know exactly what you are up against your mind plays havoc with your emotions. You might feel better once you have the results of the MRI.

I don't think you are ever allowed to say you are cured with cancer, but the further away from treatment that you are, the better. Which is why they keep an eye on you for 5 years. I am coming up to 4 years in August since I had my operation, and was 72 at the time. I was petrified because of my age and actually asked if it was worth the operation! Glad I went ahead!! My cancer was caught at an early stage 1A .(probably because of learning things from my husbands experiences). I won't be on here next week as we are taking ourselves off on a mini holiday in our motorhome. Totally fed up of being clapped in our own area, even if it is on the south coast !!! 

We actually went away 3 weeks after my operation in the van, just for a change from hospital.

• Hi  and welcome to our little corner of the Online Community. I'm sorry to read about your wife's diagnosis Rest assured  we all understand exactly where you're coming from. Here you'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies who have all been exactly where you and your wife are now. A possibility of cancer diagnosis brings all sorts of stress and fears and if anyone can hold your hand and reassure you we will. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride. The ride no-one wants to get on.

I had not used an online forum until I joined this site but found it my rock in a time of complete turmoil. The ladies here have all listened, comforted each other and shared experiences, good and bad, but we're all here to listen.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your wife's journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members wHuggingith a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer I found it invaluable in my journey. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Wittgenstein,  ( now there's a name!).  When I was diagnosed some 6 years ago I think I was much like your wife,  forums were definitely not my thing. and I could barely bring myself to look at any literature i was given and as for chatting to friends about it.....!.  On the other hand my husband studied the books and was the one to tell other people.  It was in fact months before I could actually say I had cancer to anyone face to face.  But as you can see, I did come to terms with the idea of this forum, first by  "lurking" and reading other people's stories and finally, once treatment had started, i plucked up courage to post myself.  in fact I always found it easier to express myself to forum friends than to family.  Over the years I got help for myself  & hopefully sometimes i could offer support to other women as they started their treatment.  Whatever the issue, there are always people who have had the same experience and there is an awful lot of humour here ( and a lot of awful humour!)

The first few days after diagnosis can be a period  of disbelief and isolation for patient and family alike and we all find different ways of coming to terms with it,  

I had my final appointment with oncology last November, it was over five years since diagnosis and I am now discharged from their care. No more checkups to enter in the diary.   I may not be as fit as I was before but that is nothing to do with the cancer but more because every year counts at my age (82)!     

XXXX

Anne

(Class of 2015!)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to NannyAnny

Thanks for your comments a few weeks ago. I am afraid things have been rather awful since then, and thus my late reply. I guess this is the kind of forum that'll understand this...

I hope your time away in the motorhome was good for you, and that we'll engage on here again at some point...

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to oldady

Thanks for your response a few weeks ago. I haven't been able to bring myself here again until now, but it was encouraging to read your comments.

Overall, we're forging forwards the best we can to make things sane and 'normal' for our daughter. Some days, however, this is much easier than others (as I am sure you understand...)

Things are becoming brutally real now, however, and it's fair to say this is an extremely bitter pill to swallow.

It's nice to know there are folk who know and care, and I am sure I'll be passing back this way more regularly in the time ahead...

• Hello again . I just noticed your replies to NannyAnny and Oldlady. It seems like you're both still going through the hardest time. Believe me, we've all been there, the fear, disbelief and numbness but we're here to help both you and your wife offload your fears.

I'd never used a forum or any social media in my life but once I got over the strangeness of confiding my deepest fears to total strangers I found the replies received gave me so much reassurance and the strength to deal with this bolt from the blue.

Has your wife had her op yet? Come back and talk about it. it'll help you both.

Sending you hugs, Barb xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MrsBJH

Thank you so much. She had her pre-op today, and the op itself is a week tomorrow. In the midst of this more ferocious of storms, however, we're learning new things about friends, family, relationships, and when to let some folk go, and draw others closer. It still doesn't feel entirely real, to be honest, although we accept that it is. Strange days for sure...

• Hi . Sadly you're absolutely right, so many people do not know how to deal with the "C" word. I've read that friends of many years couldn't cope and basically stopped contact.

However, we've got you now! great to hear the op is a week tomorrow. Look back over the posts and read what your wife needs to take in her overnight bag. (Just in case Bridget Jones's need to be purchased.) You'll find we all support each other here with good advice, tears and a dash of humour!

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your wife's journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

Sending you all the best, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum